Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers In Telnet I can't type anything in password! Post 10481 by LivinFree on Thursday 15th of November 2001 12:49:54 AM
Old 11-15-2001
Are you sure?
On MOST systems, it will not display what you type in the password area... This is to prevent "shoulder-surfers" from watching you type your password.

Try typing it blindly, then hit enter. What happens then?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using telnet client from MacOSX's command line terminal

I'm completely new to Unix, but familiar with Mac OSX. I've just discovered the command line terminal feature of this new OS and I'm trying to learn how to telnet into my host's server to change permissions to allow executable cgi scripts for my website. Is there anyone who might be able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tylerl
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can't telnet

Hi, I am using aix 4.3.3. Getting kicked out when I try to access my unix server via telnet, (I can rlogin, ok). But, while trying to telnet, I keep getting this message: AIX Version 4 (C) Copyrights by IBM and by others 1982, 1996. login: o ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kburrows
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

waht's resume password for router

I want discuss several subjects about resume router password,we take about cisco. resume process : <1>router boot-strap,press Ctrl£«Break in 30 second. <2>input command£º ">o/r 0x142". <3>router have been initialization <4>system restat,screen is showing system configure dialog box :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yeliu
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

8. SCO

Cannot type properly in telnet window (windows Xp & SCO Unix)

Hello friends, I am using telnet from windows xp to connect to SCO Unix. Since i am used to telnet environment given by linux from windows, this one is annoying. The cursor movements has no boundary, causing me to type control characters accidentally, which makes it difficult to navigate,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password wont hide when I type it!!

Hi there, I found out a very strange behavior. If I call ssh, my password will be invisible when I'm prompted to type it: santiago@cassiopee:~$ ssh titan.caoba.fr "echo connected" santiago@titan.caoba.fr's password: <--- password is hidden when typed connected santiago@cassiopee:~$ If I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies

10. AIX

UNIX cmd to check for non expiry type password

Hi, Here's the version of unix that we are working on. > uname -a AIX yyyyyyyy 1 6 00F613E24C00 @:on(cluster303)/iishomea/kmani00-> i have application id: aaabbb Now i need to check whether the password for the application id set to non expiry type or not. Moreover, with that unix... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
3 Replies
PASSWD(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 PASSWD(1)

NAME
passwd -- modify a user's password SYNOPSIS
passwd [-i infosystem [-l location]] [-u authname] [user] DESCRIPTION
The passwd utility changes the user's password. If the user is not the super-user, passwd first prompts for the current password and will not continue unless the correct password is entered. When entering the new password, the characters entered do not echo, in order to avoid the password being seen by a passer-by. The passwd utility prompts for the new password twice in order to detect typing errors. The new password should be at least six characters long and not purely alphabetic. Its total length should be less than _PASSWORD_LEN (cur- rently 128 characters), although some directory systems allow longer passwords. Numbers, upper case letters, and meta characters are encour- aged. Once the password has been verified, passwd communicates the new password to the directory system. -i infosystem This option specifies where the password update should be applied. Under Mac OS X 10.5 and later, supported directory systems are: PAM (default) Pluggable Authentication Modules. opendirectory A system conforming to Open Directory APIs and supporting updates (including LDAP, etc). If no -l option is specified, the search node is used. file The local flat-files (included for legacy configurations). nis A remote NIS server containing the user's password. -l location This option causes the password to be updated in the given location of the chosen directory system. for file, location may be a file name (/etc/master.passwd is the default) for nis, location may be a NIS domainname for opendirectory, location may be a directory node name for PAM, location is not used -u authname This option specifies the user name to use when authenticating to the directory node. user This optional argument specifies the user account whose password will be changed. This account's current password may be required, even when run as the super-user, depending on the directory system. FILES
/etc/master.passwd The user database /etc/passwd A Version 7 format password file /etc/passwd.XXXXXX Temporary copy of the password file SEE ALSO
chpass(1), login(1), dscl(1), passwd(5), pwd_mkdb(8), vipw(8) Robert Morris and Ken Thompson, UNIX password security. HISTORY
A passwd command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. Mac OS X August 18, 2008 Mac OS X