Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find files containing text
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find files containing text Post 10347 by sushrut on Tuesday 13th of November 2001 05:11:55 AM
Old 11-13-2001
Find files containing text

How do I find the files containing some text.

eg. I want to find alll the files that contain the word 'hello'

grep hello * will give me only for the specific directory.

How do I find for entire system.

Thanks for help in advance..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a text in jar and zip files.??

Hi, I have classes dir, in that I have jar and zip files, I need to find "Param.class" is in which zip or jar file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find files where text case is different

I need to search a directory for files that have certain text in the file name. I use the following command to do that successfully - find /abc/indicator -name '*midday*.ind' The problem is some file names are lower case, some mixed case and some upper case. Is there a way to do the find... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: schipper
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting files with find command before sending to text file

i need help with my script.... i am suppose to grab files within a certain date range now i have done that already using the touch and find command (found them in other threads) touch -d "$date_start" ./tmp1 touch -d "$date_end" ./tmp2 find "$data_location" -maxdepth 1 -newer ./tmp1 !... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deking
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash snippet to find files based on a text file?

Evening all. I'm having a terrible time with a script I've been working on for a few days now... Say I have a text file named top10song.tm2, with the following in it: kernkraft 400 Imagine i kissed a girl Thriller animals hallelujah paint it black psychosocial Oi to the world... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: DJ Charlie
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find text containing paths and replace with a string in all the python files

I have 100+ python files in a single directory. I need to replace a specific path occurrence with a variable name. Following are the find and the replace strings: Findstring--"projects\\Debugger\\debugger_dp8051_01\\debugger_dp8051_01.cywrk" Replacestring--self.projpath I tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: noorsam
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and add/replace text in text files

Hi. I would like to have experts help on below action. I have text files in which page nubmers exists in form like PAGE : 1 PAGE : 2 PAGE : 3 and so on there is other text too. I would like to know is it possible to check the last occurance of Page... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find text in files without using the word itself but the assigned variable of it

I'm having a problem how to find the specific word in a file without using the word itself as a search but using the assigned variable which is the $passwd.. what command should I use to find the value of $passwd written in different script? how do I use the command to print the value in this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenimesh19
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace using 2 text files as arrays.

Here's the nonfunctional code I have so far #!/bin/bash searchFor=(`cat filea.txt` ) replaceWith=(`cat fileb.txt`) myMax=${#searchFor} myCounter=1 while ; do sed -i 's/${$searchFor}/${$replaceWith}/g' done The goal is to use each line in filea.txt as a search term, and each line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erulisseuiin
2 Replies

9. Linux

Search only text files with 'find' command?

I've been using this to search an entire directory recursively for a specific phrase in my code (html, css, php, javascript, etc.): find dir_name -type f -exec grep -l "phrase" {} \; The problem is that it searches ALL files in the directory 'dir_name', even binary ones such as large JPEG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Collider
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find text that is different in two files

In the attached files, I am trying to use import.txt to find what is missing in all.txt and print the missing lines in missing.txt. I used SQL to import a list into a database and got errors and need to figure out what didn't import correctly. The below script is close, I think, but doesn't... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
lookbib(1)							   User Commands							lookbib(1)

NAME
lookbib - find references in a bibliographic database SYNOPSIS
lookbib database DESCRIPTION
A bibliographic reference is a set of lines, constituting fields of bibliographic information. Each field starts on a line beginning with a `%', followed by a key-letter, then a blank, and finally the contents of the field, which may continue until the next line starting with `%'. The lookbib utility uses an inverted index made by indxbib to find sets of bibliographic references. It reads keywords typed after the `>' prompt on the terminal, and retrieves records containing all these keywords. If nothing matches, nothing is returned except another `>' prompt. It is possible to search multiple databases, as long as they have a common index made by indxbib(1). In that case, only the first argument given to indxbib is specified to lookbib. If lookbib does not find the index files (the .i[abc] files), it looks for a reference file with the same name as the argument, without the suffixes. It creates a file with a .ig suffix, suitable for use with fgrep (see grep(1)). lookbib then uses this fgrep file to find refer- ences. This method is simpler to use, but the .ig file is slower to use than the .i[abc] files, and does not allow the use of multiple reference files. FILES
x.ia x.ib x.ic index files x.ig reference file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
addbib(1), grep(1), indxbib(1), refer(1), roffbib(1), sortbib(1), attributes(5) BUGS
Probably all dates should be indexed, since many disciplines refer to literature written in the 1800s or earlier. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 lookbib(1)