Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How are the following two commands related? Post 102521 by amro1 on Sunday 19th of March 2006 12:18:31 AM
Old 03-19-2006
related

these two commands related in sense that /proc filesystem is virtual representation of processes.
ps command allows you to get information in a form of processes and /proc virtual filesystem provides much the same information but in form of filesystem.
There are commands in a system that require access to process statistics as to files and /proc filesystem provides that. Again, if you have question of this sort get "UNIX Essentials and UNIX Core" DVD it explains all that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using FTP related commands in nawk utility in shell programming

I am facing problem while accesing FTP related commands in nawk code in bourne shell programming.I can able to connect to remote machine, but i can't able to get files from that machine. Please help me in this.If you send code along with the solution, then it will be usefull for me. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrsekhar
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory related Unix commands

I am using rsync for my backing up my files, from one box to other box, While doing I am getting following error. arb821/Server/logs/rpcMetrics/ arb821/Server/logs/AribaOrderTransmitterLog.txt write failed on arb821/Server/logs/AribaOrderTransmitterLog.txt : Error 0 rsync error: error in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
2 Replies

3. Programming

code that reads commands from the standard i/p and executes the commands

Hello all, i've written a small piece of code that will read commands from standard input and executes the commands. Its working fine and is execting the commands well. Accepting arguments too. e.g #mkdir <name of the directory> The problem is that its not letting me change the directory i.e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phrozen Smoke
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can BASH execute commands on a remote server when the commands are embedded in shell

I want to log into a remote server transfer over a new config and then backup the existing config, replace with the new config. I am not sure if I can do this with BASH scripting. I have set up password less login by adding my public key to authorized_keys file, it works. I am a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Questions related to ndd commands

Hello Gurus I would like to know more about ndd commands related to ethernet(NIC) like how to set link_status, link_speed & link_mode as I know how to check these value. And I also would like to know how to make these setting permanents after reboot as I know that these setting will vanish... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix commands Related to

Hi all, Does unix has any commands for creating BLOB and CLOB objects. Please forward me any sites or samples (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshorpu
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to read the man page for commands related to cluster

Hi Experts, In my system cluster is installed and the related files are inside /usr/cluster. I want to use the man page of command which are related to cluster. The man pages related to cluster are inside /usr/cluster/man, however I am not sure how can I read the man page for command ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix commands related to ftp of files..

Hi, I am new to unix , I was planning to write a script that will FTP files to destination folder. , Please guide me what are the various networking commands that unix will help in this ftp process..?:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul125
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Problem to understand METADEVICE and related commands

Hi everyone, I'm new with solaris administration. I have just discovered the notion of METADEVICE and I really don't understand it. Can any one please explain it to me or give me useful link ? I also want to know more about these commandes: metainit metadb metaattach Thank you ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adilyos
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

need downloading related help...but its not related to unix

Hi All, I am trying to dowmload the zip file "zkManageCustomers.zip " but i dont have access. Can anyone help me to download this file See the below link- http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/wa-aj-open/index.html?ca=drs- Please help me as early as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aish11
1 Replies
SYSFS(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  SYSFS(2)

NAME
sysfs - get filesystem type information SYNOPSIS
int sysfs(int option, const char *fsname); int sysfs(int option, unsigned int fs_index, char *buf); int sysfs(int option); DESCRIPTION
Note: if you are looking for information about the sysfs filesystem that is normally mounted at /sys, see sysfs(5). The (obsolete) sysfs() system call returns information about the filesystem types currently present in the kernel. The specific form of the sysfs() call and the information returned depends on the option in effect: 1 Translate the filesystem identifier string fsname into a filesystem type index. 2 Translate the filesystem type index fs_index into a null-terminated filesystem identifier string. This string will be written to the buffer pointed to by buf. Make sure that buf has enough space to accept the string. 3 Return the total number of filesystem types currently present in the kernel. The numbering of the filesystem type indexes begins with zero. RETURN VALUE
On success, sysfs() returns the filesystem index for option 1, zero for option 2, and the number of currently configured filesystems for option 3. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT Either fsname or buf is outside your accessible address space. EINVAL fsname is not a valid filesystem type identifier; fs_index is out-of-bounds; option is invalid. CONFORMING TO
SVr4. NOTES
This System-V derived system call is obsolete; don't use it. On systems with /proc, the same information can be obtained via /proc/filesystems; use that interface instead. BUGS
There is no libc or glibc support. There is no way to guess how large buf should be. COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 SYSFS(2)