Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: renaming multiple files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers renaming multiple files Post 10232 by piltrafa on Friday 9th of November 2001 04:01:14 PM
Old 11-09-2001
almost...

Thanks for the suggestion. I tested your script and it works fine. The thing is that I want to change the files in thie way:

oldfile.txt to newfile.txt

I tried to change your script to make it work but, cause I'm not a scripter ( I don't know how to do it ), the new script fail.

thanks again for you help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

Can someone please tell me how I can rename a bunch of files at a time. I hava a directory that has 700+ files that are named *.xyz and I would like to rename them to *.abc . How can I do that with a simple command ? mv *.xyz *.abc did not work. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming Multiple files

Hi All my dear friends I had multiple files in my directory with .pcv and .sqv extn I want to rename all .pcv files with .pc extn and all .sqv files with .sql extn Please help me out.:eek::mad::rolleyes: e.g. /trimsbld/users/dhirens/scripts/newfolder==>ll -rt total 2856 -rwxr-xr-x 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhiren_shah
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

I have a bunch of files txt1.csv--2008 thru to txt3.csv--2008. If i wanted to rename these files all at the same time to txt*.csv-2008 what would be the best way to do it... Just need to get rid of the extra - in each file name.. not all files are going to be called txt*.csv--2008. Just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

Hi, I have several hundred files I need to rename, and I'm would rather not hit F2 for each file individually to rename them. Example of file: large1961.jpg What I need the file to be renamed as: 1961.jpg I don't know what type of command I can execute within a shell script that would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayell
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming multiple files

I have to rename 100+ files at a time on the server & was trying to use a script for doing that. I have used ultra edit to create a file having current filename & new file name as below file234.txt | file956.txt file687.txt | file385.txt There is no fixed pattern while renaming & would... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: crux123
20 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

I have multiple gif files in a directory with different names. How can i rename them to have this result: file01.gif file02.gif file03.gif . . . file0500.gif Thanks for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: netx
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

Hi, Can we rename multiples files using find or awk utility? Now I am doing it using for loop and getting the file name and in side the loop using the mv command. Like ine need t rename all txt files to doc file. For example a1.txt => a1.doc a2.txt => a2.doc a3.txt => a3.doc myfile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

I have 34 file in a directory that all have different names, however, they do have 1 pattern in commmon. They all have "-10-11-2010" date format in the name. I want to replace the date in the file name with a supplied date or maybe even the system date. I am sure I will be using awk or sed to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming Multiple files

Hello, I have multiple files that I want to change the names to. Let's say for example that I want to rename all the files in the left column to the names in the right column: What would be the easiest way to go about doing this? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Scatterbrain26
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in sftp server in a get files script

Hi, In sftp script to get files, I have to rename all the files which I am picking. Rename command does not work here. Is there any way to do this? I am using #!/bin/ksh For eg: sftp user@host <<EOF cd /path get *.txt rename *.txt *.txt.done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
7 Replies
SIEVESHELL(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     SIEVESHELL(1)

NAME
sieveshell - remotely manipulate sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
sieveshell [--user=user] [--authname=authname] [--realm=realm] [--exec=script] server[:port] sieveshell --help DESCRIPTION
sieveshell allows users to manipulate their scripts on a remote server. It works via MANAGESIEVE, a work in progress. The following commands are recognized: list list scripts on server. put <filename> upload script to server. get <name> [<filename>] get script. if no filename display to stdout delete <name> delete script. activate <name> activate script. deactivate deactivate all scripts. OPTIONS
-u user, --user=user The authorization name to request; by default, derived from the authentication credentials. -a authname, --authname=authname The user to use for authentication (defaults to current user). -r realm, --realm=realm The realm to attempt authentication in. -e script, --exec=script Instead of working interactively, run commands from script, and exit when done. REFERENCES
[MANAGESIEVE] Martin, T.; "A Protocol for Remotely Managing Sieve Scripts", draft-ietf-managesieve-03.txt, Mirapoint, Inc.; May 2001, work in progress. AUTHOR
Tim Martin <tmartin@mirapoint.com>, and the rest of the Cyrus team <cyrus-bugs@andrew.cmu.edu>. perl v5.10.0 2008-04-04 SIEVESHELL(1)