Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TAR and GZIP help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers TAR and GZIP help Post 102240 by VandeMatram on Thursday 16th of March 2006 12:05:44 PM
Old 03-16-2006
Hi,

I am new to Unix and need more guidance/example.
Please help! Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combine tar and gzip together?

Hello I just wandering, instead to doing "tar cvf foo.tar * " and then gzip foo.tar , can't it be combined to one command ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can i tar and gzip in one liner ?

hello can i combine this 2 commands in one liner command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar/gzip/gz...which one to use?

P0251WLADC.svm_wl1 > /svm_wl1/billing/data/server/archive/ALLEVT $ du -k FEB2006 22050224 FEB2006 As you can see,i have a folder called "FEB2006" which is around 22 GB. i guess zip or compress wont work...( i don know how do we compress a folder) i wished to use ""tar" ( i suppose... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhijeetkul
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar and gzip

Hi, I would like to have a combined gzip and tar that will compress and create multiple output tar.gz files. I want to have multiple files output because i cannot create an archive because there is no more space on my harddisk. I cannot transfer it locally because of slow connection. I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shortcut for tar cvf - [filename] | gzip > [filename].tar.gz

i'd like to have an alias (or something similar) where i can type a command like "archive" and a filename and have it tar and gzip the file, so... $ archive filename results in filename.tar.gz...do i have to write a script to do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcamp1973
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar + gzip + split together

Hi All I need guidance on this requirement . We have a directory structure which has data of approx 100 GB We need to tar the structure then zip it and create different files of not more than 10 GB A separate tar file then a .gz should not be created , on the fly a script is needed... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aamir1234
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar and gzip problem

Hi Guys, I have a few files. i want to tar these files and zip it using gzip it. -rw-r----- 1 magesh magesh 12940369 Jul 27 09:26 dcx_imds_c.asc -rw-r----- 1 magesh magesh 1221391 Jul 27 09:27 dcx_imds_h.asc -rw-r----- 1 magesh magesh 1105673 Jul 27 09:27... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and gzip extraction issues

Not sure if this is really in the right forum but here goes.... Looking for a way to extract individual compressed files from a compressed tarball WITHOUT tar -zxvf and then recompressing. Basically we need to be able to chunk out an individual compressed file while it still remains... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: athos
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar and gzip files

Hi Guys, I am using RHEL5 and Solaris 9 & 10. I want to tar and gzip my files then remove them after a successful tar command... Lets say I have files with extension .arc then I want to tar and gzip these files. After successful tar command I want to remove all these files (i.e .arc). ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing issues with tar and gzip !

Hi, I am trying to :- (1.) Tar the file and then (2.) Gzip it ! Tar command :- tar -cvf BLUESTAR_Archive.log_$(date +%y_%m_%d_%H_%M).tar /app/local/XXX/XXX/XXX/logs Gzip command :- Gzip /app/local/XXX/XXX/XXX/logs/BLUESTAR_Archive.log_$(date +%y_%m_%d_%H_%M).tar ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: acidburn_007
9 Replies
MACUTIL(1)						      General Commands Manual							MACUTIL(1)

NAME
macutil - A package that deals with MacIntosh files on a Unix system DESCRIPTION
macutil is a package that contains a number of utilities that deal with MacIntosh files on a Unix system. It contains the following pro- grams: binhex Convert files to BinHex 4.0 compatible hexified form. frommac Receives files from the MacIntosh on the Unix system. hexbin Convert hexified files to their MacIntosh format. macsave Save a series of files from a MacBinary stream as individual files. macstream Combine a series of files to a MacBinary stream. macunpack Unpack a MacIntosh archive into its constituents. tomac Transmits files from the Unix system to a MacIntosh. BUGS
This manual page is hopelessly incomplete! SEE ALSO
binhex(1), frommac(1), hexbin(1), macsave(1), macstream(1), macunpack(1), tomac(1) AUTHOR
Dik T. Winter, CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (dik@cwi.nl) 3rd Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1992 MACUTIL(1)