Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: finger
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers finger Post 10210 by PxT on Friday 9th of November 2001 11:33:01 AM
Old 11-09-2001
You could use cut or awk to grab the usernames from the password file and feed them to finger. One shortcut that may work is
"cd /home;finger *"
That only works if your users home directories are all in /home and if the directory names match the login names -- those are both usually true though.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finger and newsgroups

Hi, I've been using unix at college for a few weeks now and I have come up against a few stumbling blocks: - Most unix commands seem to work w/ regexps - the computers I and my group are allowed to logon to are all itsunXX where XX is a number. if I can {finger @itsun88} to find out that I and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_man_who
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finger Information

Hey, I was wondering If anybody knew of a way to make a log of all users who type the command finger username when username is my own. I would like to see who is keeping track of me :) Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanley_ie
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finger command

Hello all, Here is what I am trying to do. If a user exist, then send an echo "EXIST" or else "DOES NOT EXIST". (under HP-UX) Kind of: #!/usr/bin/sh USER=mylogin finger $USER if $? = 0 then echo "EXIST"" else echo "DOES NOT EXIST" fi (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in finger command.

Hi, iam using sunsolaris. when you type finger command -- it dispalys information about local and remote users. but here it shows as can't stat /dev/gold:8664 can anybody help what is the solution for this error. previously the output came. thanks, shan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanshine
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finger question

How can I change the name in the 'finger' information? anybody has an idea? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksainth
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finger

Is there any possible way to get rid of the header when I do finger ? I want to get rid of Login Name Tty Idle Login Time Office Office Phone as the header. Please let me know how to do it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finger command

I want to know the correct version of how i should use the finger command in this example below.(os is debian lenny) (nymserver.pl is located in /home/nymserv directory.) the two versions are : (in/etc/inetd.conf) finger stream tcp nowait nymuser /usr/nym/nymserv nymserv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xstation
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finger has gone crazy

Two things : On the first place i am really desperate, on the second i am about to throw my laptop away to the recycle bin in a while. Ok now that i expressed my feeling let me describe you this mad situation. Code: print $1; ("finger -m " $1 "| head -1") | getline userinfo print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beatblaster666
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finger command help

Hi Does anyone know if there is anyway of doing the finger command for all user id's in my enviroment. What I need to obtain is the full names of all users on the system. I know if i do the finger command with no arguments it will list users currently logged in, but i need all users... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m3y
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using finger in a loop

Hi, I have taken all active user list and passing it to below code for i in $(cat sample.out) do finger ${usr}> report.txt done I got below O/P Login Name TTY Idle When Where de4s1 john console 111d Fri 03:00 efr56 ... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
21 Replies
SAFE_FINGER(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    SAFE_FINGER(8)

NAME
safe_finger - finger client wrapper that protects against nasty stuff from finger servers SYNOPSIS
safe_finger [finger_options] DESCRIPTION
The safe_finger command protects against nasty stuff from finger servers. Use this program for automatic reverse finger probes from the tcp_wrapper (tcpd) , not the raw finger command. The safe_finger command makes sure that the finger client is not run with root privileges. It also runs the finger client with a defined PATH environment. safe_finger will also protect you from problems caused by the output of some finger servers. The problem: some programs may react to stuff in the first column. Other programs may get upset by thrash anywhere on a line. File systems may fill up as the finger server keeps sending data. Text editors may bomb out on extremely long lines. The finger server may take forever because it is somehow wedged. safe_finger takes care of all this badness. SEE ALSO
hosts_access(5), hosts_options(5), tcpd(8) AUTHOR
Wietse Venema, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands. Linux 21th June 1997 SAFE_FINGER(8)