Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bus Error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Bus Error Post 10183 by LivinFree on Friday 9th of November 2001 05:39:30 AM
Old 11-09-2001
Bus Error

This may belong in the C Programming forum, but here goes anyway...

What would cause a bus error? I searched google for a cause, but came up with some conflicting reports...
Could it be caused by [lack of] disk space?
A lot of the pages I found mentioned linking with the incorrect versions of the library. But in that case, would it compile correctly?

Basically, I am curious as to why we had a job dump core on a bus error. It ran nearly to normal completion time, then simply poo-pood.

In the case that it may make a difference, it's a job that interfaces with an Oracle database on HP-UX 11. The things that had changed were that the process was recompiled, AND we were at 96% (df -k) on that disk...

Not too important for me to know right now, but I am curious, and who wants to wait for developers to tell me what happened? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bus error on solaris

Hi there I am running soalris 9 on a sun fire 480r and all of a sudden (today) whenever the users run the command `top` we get the following message `bus error` does anybody have any information on what this is all about and whether there is a routine i can perform to gather more... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bus error(coredump

aix 5.3 ML1 system was functioing well, when suddenly telnet session hung and then I got the following message "Bus error(coredump)" would appreciate if anyone would assist as to what to do next. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Student37
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bus Error(coredump)

Hi, I am using HP-UX. While i try to run the Sqlplus command using the shel script in encounter the following error: <shell script name>: some number Bus Error(coredump) What may be the reason behind this. I read few previous threads in this forum where i found some similar case. There it was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayesh
2 Replies

4. Programming

BUS error

Hi! I've got a program which runs fine under Linux, but I have compiled it to run under SunOS 5.8 in a Sparc computer, and now it sometimes fails with "bus error". Ussing gdb I surfed to the error line, which is *pointer = some_vector; where some_vector is a 16 byte struct (4 integers)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shesatmine
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bus error (coredump)

Hi all, I am getting bus error problem in SunOS. Can you please help me out in this regard. Actually, my entire code till the last line has been executed. But after tht i am getting a bus error. Please help me. Thanks in advance. Charu. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charu
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

Need help on Bus error(coredump)

Hi all, I am quite weak in C but I need to get some work done. Hope someone can help me out. I keep getting this error when i try to run my C application in my HP-UX 10.20 machine. Some code snippet: Month(DBTime) =====This is a function which will return variable "CutOffTime" to be use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vision©
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Bus Error

I am getting bus error when i include "#!/bin/ksh". If i remove interpreter then script is working. Can anyone explain this and how can i avoid this error? Operating System is HP-UX B.11.23 U 9000/800 1091834454 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anbu23
2 Replies

8. Programming

Bus error

Hi everyone, I have a GUI project and when I run it and left in idle state for a long time(there is nothing done, just opened GUI, no more actions),I get bus error after trying to do anything with it. I've tried to build it in debug mode and use gdb, but I don't get any error in debug mode.It... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sisi
3 Replies

9. Programming

Bus error in tree insertion

Hi, I am new to C++ and unix. I am trying to write a programm for inserting elements into a binary tree. To get the code flow I used few Couts and m facing buss error while insertion. Below is the code snippet. explainations needed. thanks :) #include <iostream.h> struct mytree { int... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vineetjoshi
1 Replies

10. Programming

Bus Error: 10...Help please!

Hi all, I am writing a phonebook program to store names and number using a list. Here is the code for the function which allows the user to enter the name and number (where the error occurs). //THIS FUNCTION ADDS A NEW ENTRY TO THE phonebook_list void insert(void){ //variables int... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdejan
5 Replies
prealloc(2)							System Calls Manual						       prealloc(2)

NAME
prealloc - preallocate fast disk storage SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is used to preallocate space on a disk for faster storage operations. fildes is a file descriptor obtained from a or system call for an ordinary file of zero length. It must be opened writable, because it will be written to by size is the size in bytes to be preallocated for the file specified by fildes. At least size bytes will be allo- cated. Space is allocated in an implementation-dependent fashion for fast sequential reads and writes. The EOF in an extended file is left at the end of the preallocated area. The current file pointer is left at zero. The file is zero-filled. Using on a file does not give the file an attribute that is inherited when copying or restoring the file using a program such as or (see cp(1) and tar(1)). It simply ensures that disk space has been preallocated for size bytes in a manner suited for sequential access. The file can be extended beyond these limits by operations past the original end of file. However, this space will not necessarily be allo- cated using any special strategy. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, returns 0; otherwise, it returns -1 and sets to indicate the error. ERRORS
fails and no disk space is allocated if any of the following conditions are encountered: [EBADF] fildes is not a valid open file descriptor opened for writing. [EDQUOT] User's disk quota block limit has been reached for this file system. [EFBIG] size exceeds the maximum file size or the process's file size limit. See ulimit(2). [ENOSPC] Not enough space is left on the device to allocate the requested amount; no space was allocated. [ENOTEMPTY] fildes not associated with an ordinary file of zero length. EXAMPLES
Assuming a process has opened a file for writing, the following call to preallocates at least 50000 bytes on disk for the file represented by file descriptor outfd: WARNINGS
Allocation of the file space is highly dependent on current disk usage. A successful return does not tell you how fragmented the file actually might be if the disk is nearing its capacity. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
prealloc(1), creat(2), dup(2), fcntl(2), open(2), prealloc64(2), read(2), ulimit(2), write(2). prealloc(2)