Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AdvFS Filesets
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers AdvFS Filesets Post 10158 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 8th of November 2001 02:13:40 PM
Old 11-08-2001
backups or mirroring

Moca4444,

Please tell me that you had some kind of backup of the data. OR have you mirrored the disks or RAID 5 the disks?

If you haven't done one of these things, then you might be in trouble.

Smilie Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting advfs in single-user mode

Hi! I am trying to mount a file system (advfs) in single-user mode. The goal is to make a vdump of the partition The command I am using is: mount -t advfs domain#gaston /usr/local/gaston But appears the following error: No such domain, file.... Any help? Thanks in advance Gaston (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gmoyano
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tsm client filesets for AIX 4.3.3

Hi, can somebody point to where i can get tsm client filesets to install tsm on AIX 4.3 node please? Thank You! karthik (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
0 Replies

3. AIX

Update particular filesets

Hello, I must update xlC component for AIX 5300-03 system. The lslpp command displays following output: lslpp -l | grep xlC xlC.aix50.rte 9.0.0.5 COMMITTED XL C/C++ Runtime for AIX 5.2 xlC.cpp 6.0.0.0 COMMITTED C for AIX Preprocessor ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yac
2 Replies

4. AIX

Merging filesets for OS Upgrade

I have a complete set of AIX install media for 5307 TL1. I also have on DVD the upgrade files compiled by IBM to upgrade a server from AIX 5305 to 5308TL2. If I run an upgrade from the IBM supplied DVD (smit upgrade_all) then the upgrade fails complaining about a large number of missing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: morgan_g
2 Replies

5. AIX

cfgmgr: Filesets missing

Hi all, I have a System i server with a couple of AIX LPARs. One of the LPARs owns a dual-channel scsi adapter to which I connect a tape library (IBM TS3100) and a DVD Drive. I had some problems to get the Tape Library detected but finally I got it: rmt0 Available 03-08-01-4,0 IBM 3580... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wendelalexis
1 Replies

6. AIX

Problem with Filesets

Hello, In my server ihave a problem with some installed packages ... /root#lslpp -l | grep LGTO LGTOnw.clnt.rte 7.4.2.0 COMMITTED NetWorker Client lslpp: Error while processing fileset 9f827e6ef6ec223edb338bc4c37632ae. lslpp: No match was found for the SWVPD data search. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boudine
2 Replies

7. AIX

Miss filesets

Hello everyone I updated a partition from TL06 to TL09, everything looks ok. I check the errpt comand, lppchk -v and both are fine. But when I type this command I got this $ instfix -i |grep ML All filesets for 5300-02_AIX_ML were found. All filesets for 5.3.0.0_AIX_ML were... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
3 Replies

8. AIX

filesets nim client

Hello everyone I was looking for the filesets to install a nim client on a linux box. (red hat 5 for power) I have the nim master on aix box and I have different nim client with aix. I download some filesets fron aix cd to linux box, but Im still hang up. Some one know where I can find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

9. AIX

Help Please - Command to view missing filesets in aix

Please anyone tell me "What is the command to view missing filesets in aix" Thanks in advance ---------- Post updated at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:09 PM ---------- Please anyone tell me "What is the command to view missing filesets in aix" Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweetysiva29
3 Replies

10. AIX

Filesets for IBM ultrium lto 5 (SAS)

i connect an ibm ultrium lto 5 (sas) to an 8204-e8a (v6.1 TL5 SP 1) then i do an cfgmgr and get message about missing filesets devices.pciex.1410ca03 devices.pciex.pciexclass.00107 devices.pciex.00107200 devices.pciex.pciex100.72.3 and a few others i try to find the filesets on the two OS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AIXBlueCat
1 Replies
advfs_clonefset(3)					     Library Functions Manual						advfs_clonefset(3)

NAME
advfs_clonefset - Creates a read-only copy of an active fileset SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/advfs_syscalls.h> int advfs_clonefset( char *domain, char *fileset, char *clonename ); LIBRARY
AdvFS Library (libadvfs) PARAMETERS
Specifies the name of an existing AdvFS file domain. Specifies the name of original fileset. Specifies the name of the read-only clone fileset of the original fileset. DESCRIPTION
This function makes a read-only copy (clone) of an active fileset without taking the fileset off line. When you create a clone fileset, it is a read-only snapshot of fileset data structures (metadata). That is, when you clone a fileset only the structure of the original fileset is copied, not its data. As time goes by and as the files in the original fileset are modified, the file system copies the original pages to the clone fileset. In this way, the clone fileset preserves the contents of files as they were in the original fileset at the time you created the clone. You can form a fileset backup strategy by managing clone filesets without ever needing to take the original filesets off line. For exam- ple, you can determine when to unmount a clone, mount the clone on another mount point, and then use the vdump command to back it up. You can create new versions of a clone fileset, but you can maintain only one clone per fileset at a time. You can remove an existing clone fileset by using the advfs_rmfset function. NOTES
This function has features identical to the utility described in clonefset(8). RESTRICTIONS
This function only clones AdvFS filesets; it does not clone UFS file systems. The program that calls this function must be running with root privilege. A fileset must have a unique name of up to 31 characters. All whitespace characters (tab, new line, space, and so on) and the / # : * ? characters are invalid for fileset names. Do not create a clone fileset if the available disk space for the file domain is less than 5 percent of the total. When a file domain runs out of disk space, the file system loses its ability to maintain the consistency of files within clone filesets. When the file system can no longer maintain consistency, it displays warning messages similar to the following on the user's terminal and to the console: WARNING: advfs cannot copy-on-write data to a clone file. WARNING: encountered the following error: ENO_MORE_BLKS (-1040) WARNING: do not continue using the clone fileset. WARNING: original file set: name=mnt, id=2c06a73f.00027192.00000001.8001 WARNING: clone file set: name=clone, id=2c06a73f.00027192.00000002.8002 WARNING: file id = 0000000a.8002 This message also appears in the /var/adm/syslog.dated/latest_boot_date/kern.log file. RETURN VALUES
The function returns a value of 0 (zero) on successful completion. The function returns a value of -1 on failure and sets the value of errno to the specific error. ERRORS
The function sets errno to the specified errors for the following failure conditions: A valid AdvFS Advanced Utilities license is not installed. The calling program is not running with root privileges. The AdvFS lock for domain could not be acquired because one of the follow- ing operations was already running on the domain: balance, defragment, rmfset, or rmvol. The fileset you want to clone already has an existing clone. The name of the clone contains an invalid character or any of the parameters are NULL or set to . An I/O error occurred on one of the disks in the file domain. The name of the clone is longer than 31 characters. The file domain specified by the domain parameter does not exist. The fileset specified by the fileset parameter does not exist in the file domain specified by the domain parameter. There is not enough memory available for the operation. There is not enough available space in the file domain to create a clone fileset. SEE ALSO
Commands: clonefset(8), mkfset(8), rmfset(8), showfsets(8) Functions: advfs_rmfset(3) advfs_clonefset(3)