Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: crontab problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers crontab problem Post 10144 by rwb1959 on Thursday 8th of November 2001 12:15:13 PM
Old 11-08-2001
Well... "root" is GOD on most (if not all) flavors of UNIX
so you can pretty much do anything and you woun't
get much if any warnings.

I assume that if oracle's cron job is not running
because of an expired password then reseting it may in
fact work however I have not actually tried this.

I say... give it a shot. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with Crontab

I have a server running 5.9 and I'm trying to cron in the following. 00 01 * * 7 cd /data/apache/logs && find . -type f -name "access.*" -mtime +1 -print |xargs rm > /dev/null 2>&1 But I keep get the following error.... 00 01 * * 7 cd /data/apache/logs && find . -type f -name "access.*"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zak
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab problem

HI, i am working on linux. i have crontab problem i wrote a small script and put it in a crontab . but the script is not running.. i have given following way in crontab -e 02 06 * * * /bin/csh /home/vr_test.csh but the above script is not running please rectify my... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
26 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with crontab

I'm trying to get crontab to run a script, but to test crontab I tried out a very simple command: `echo bob` here is my crontab file (I edited it by using `crontab -e`): ----------------- #!/bin/sh 23 10 * * * echo bob and at 10:23 every day I get a new message: in /var/mail/a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with crontab

i added to my crontab file: * * * * * echo "hello" it works, i receive a message into my /var/mail/username and i receive: bob in addition to a large text add-on any help appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crontab problem

hi all while using crontab -e im receiving 754 as output im unable to add a entry in crontab crontab -l is working fine OS: sun5.8 can some one please assist me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NIMISH AGARWAL
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab Problem

Dear All , I have .sh script wich has the following inside getFileName=Listportfolio.txt.`date +'%Y%m%d` ftp -n 172.10.10.1<<EOF user xxx xxx bin cd /home/gbs/FTP_Script get /home/gbs/FTP_Script/$getFileName bye EOF EOF when I run the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in crontab

Hi All, Am facing an issue while updating the crontab.Getting below error while updating the cron. cron/tmp.XXXX5fXBR6: No space left on device crontab: edits left in /tmp/crontab.XXXXEJX5gw Is there any file where i need to alter using root user so that i can update the cron. TIA... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashok_oct22
9 Replies

8. AIX

Crontab problem

Hi to all. Guys, i have a truble with oracle user crontab. He work if i'm do 0-59 * * * * echo LOL> ~/test.txt But not work if me set realy norm date For example 14 17 28 12 * echo LOL> ~/test.txt In 17:14 28 December . In log file /var/adm/cron/log nothing.... Please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

crontab problem

hi.. i have a program (tf.sh), and i want what it runs automatically with a "lapsus" of 2 hours. (1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23 hrs.) i know what i have to do it using crontab, but i donīt know how to do it. i have the next idea, but the problem is what it doesnīt run on my server... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: DebianJ
11 Replies

10. Solaris

problem with crontab

hi all does any on has explanation for this result bash-3.00$ crontab -e "/var/tmp/Ex1kayUW" No space left on device The crontab file was not changed. bash-3.00$ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: osmannix
2 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab -- maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] file crontab [-u user] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
The crontab utility is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and they are not intended to be edited directly. (Darwin note: Although cron(8) and crontab(5) are officially supported under Darwin, their functionality has been absorbed into launchd(8), which provides a more flexible way of automatically executing commands. See launchctl(1) for more information.) If the /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the /usr/lib/cron/cron.allow file does not exist but the /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. The format of these files is one username per line, with no leading or trailing whitespace. Lines of other formats will be ignored, and so can be used for com- ments. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename '-' is given. The following options are available: -u Specify the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines ``your'' crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(1) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(1) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. -l Display the current crontab on standard output. -r Remove the current crontab. -e Edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. The specified editor must edit the file in place; any editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be used. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. FILES
/usr/lib/cron/cron.allow /usr/lib/cron/cron.deny DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), compat(5), cron(8), launchctl(1) STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). The new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> BSD
December 29, 1993 BSD