Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Know any good codes?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Know any good codes? Post 101385 by [MA]Flying_Meat on Tuesday 7th of March 2006 04:33:34 PM
Old 03-07-2006
In my experience, codes 0, 1, and 2 are all good. You may see codes higher than those though, depending on what the author of the software is trapping for. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

exit codes

Where can a locate a list of Unix exit codes? thank you, Donna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: donna carter
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

were could i get sorce codes

were could i get sorce codes for Linux OS of people that change or emulate programs for other Unix based OS's. for example i am looking for a way to emulate mac os programs to linux. were could i go for source codes or already emulated porgrams that i could download. i am very courios about finding... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChildrenoftheOS
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

escape codes

I did a search and found the link for escape codes,- but I am not sure how to modify this script to set the margins. I started with a script that was already written on my system to set a printer to print landscape. I need to send an report that is in an ascii file to multiple printers from my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Return codes

I have the below script I am running on a Solaris system to check the status of a Tivoli Workload Scheduler job and return the status. We need this script to return a '0' if any of the jobs in the stream are in a "EXEC" state and an "1" if in a "HOLD" state. I am not a programmer so I am not sure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leezer1204
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Return Codes

I have a simple script which renames a file.How do i capture the return code of the script if the script fails (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris01752
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with return codes

Hi In an unix script I am using an Perl one liner perl -i -ne '-----' If the perl one liner fails i am not able to catch the return code. It always give 0 as return code. Can you tell me how can i catch the return code perl -i -ne '---' RETCODE=$? echo $RETCODE Thanks and Regards Ammu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit Codes

Good Morning All.. I was wondering about getting exit codes of a command in a shell script. I'm trying to run uvscan (McAfee command line scanner) and I want to have the log file say why, if at all, the process failed/exited. Something to the extent of If ; then echo "This is why it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmschube
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different Return Codes

Hi, I wanted to know the significance of different return codes when we do echo $? I know when $? returns 0 the command has worked successfully. but what does $? = 1, 2, 3 etc. signify. Thanks in advance for the help !!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarti.popi
3 Replies

9. Linux

Exit codes

I am trying to run this SH on Linux and getting error at IF condition. I want to read the EXIT code and send the failure or success message. Please help me on this. This worked when i was running on Solaris. #!/bin/bash $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus abc/xyz@qwe @/home/test.sql if ;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlmadhav
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Return Codes...

Not sure if this is of any use but...... I was messing around with getting return codes greater than 255 for special usage... Of course the code could be made simple but in this code the new stored return code is generated as exit is progressing... #!/bin/sh # Real and imaginary return... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
9 Replies
MKMANIFEST(1)						      General Commands Manual						     MKMANIFEST(1)

NAME
mkmanifest - create a shell script to restore Unix filenames SYNOPSIS
mkmanifest [ files ] DESCRIPTION
Mkmanifest creates a shell script that will aid in the restoration of Unix filenames that got clobbered by the MSDOS filename restrictions. MSDOS filenames are restricted to 8 character names, 3 character extensions, upper case only, no device names, and no illegal characters. The mkmanifest program is compatible with the methods used in pcomm, arc, and mtools to change perfectly good Unix filenames to fit the MSDOS restrictions. EXAMPLE
I want to copy the following Unix files to a MSDOS diskette (using the mcopy command). very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital Mcopy will convert the names to: very_lon 2xmany.dot illegalx good.c xprn.dev capital The command: mkmanifest very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital > manifest would produce the following: mv very_lon very_long_name mv 2xmany.dot 2.many.dots mv illegalx illegal: mv xprn.dev prn.dev mv capital Capital Notice that "good.c" did not require any conversion, so it did not appear in the output. Suppose I've copied these files from the diskette to another Unix system, and I now want the files back to their original names. If the file "manifest" (the output captured above) was sent along with those files, it could be used to convert the filenames. SEE ALSO
arc(1), pcomm(1), mtools(1) local MKMANIFEST(1)