Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disk mirroring
Operating Systems Solaris Disk mirroring Post 101363 by RTM on Tuesday 7th of March 2006 12:05:44 PM
Old 03-07-2006
What software are you going to use? Veritas? DiskSuite? Or is this hardware raid being used?

Documentation on Disksuite and Sun's Volume Manager

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is disk mirroring in unix?

Can anyone give some answers on what is disk mirroring in Unix? It may be related to unix online backup. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Disk Mirroring?? have any idea???

After reading some books, I came across this idea of having a duplicate of your current hard drive on another second hard drive so that if the first hard drive happens to crash, the system can be up and running in quickly now, is there anybody in here who uses this method at work?? If there is,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk mirroring under RedHat 8

I would like to build a new box that has the disk mirrored to another IDE disk on a different channel. Does anyone know if a RAID controller like the Promise is supported under RedHat 8, or should I use a software RAID. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk mirroring

Good Morning :) I have a new challenge to solve, I am going to write a new backup disk mirroring script. The current one, whcih is useing 'dd' caused some stalled systems :( Currently I am in the phase of experimenting with different methods, I was thinking about dump/restore afio/cpio or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcom
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Help !! disk Mirroring

Hi I have a Sunfire X4100 box with a 4 disk Chassis (although I only have 2 disks in it). I have been asked to add two more disks into the chassis so that I can mirror the original two using SVM .....Ive read through a couple of SVM docs but am finding it a little confusing, and if any of you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mirroring Disk Geometry

How can one mirror disk geometry from one hard disk to another in Solaris. Is disk snapshot same as a mirror? Pls explain. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lexusujx
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 Disk Mirroring

Has anyone managed to set up disk mirroring in Solaris 10 yet? If so can you point me in the direction of some useful documentation please. Cheers (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: korfnz
25 Replies

8. Solaris

Disk Mirroring on solaris 5.8

Hi Friends, I am having Sun Solaris 5.8 OS installed having 2 different size hard disk, sizes are c0t0d0s0(160 GB) and c0t2d0s0 (40GB). I have installed Sun Solaris 5.8 OS in c0t0d0s0 (160GB) harddisk. I have configured all the parameters required for disk mirroring. But when executing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijayakumarpc
4 Replies

9. Solaris

disk mirroring

hi every body I'm new to solaris and I need your help in how to configure disk mirroring for 4 hard disks so that two of them will be replica to the other two ...??? Thanxx (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mm00123
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Disk Mirroring

Hi, How to identify whether the disk is being mirrored or not in RHEL (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
2 Replies
vxbootsetup(1M) 														   vxbootsetup(1M)

NAME
vxbootsetup - set up system boot information on a Veritas Volume Manager disk SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vxbootsetup [-g diskgroup] [medianame ... ] DESCRIPTION
The vxbootsetup utility configures physical disks so that they can be used to boot the system. Before vxbootsetup is called to configure a disk, the required volumes, standvol, rootvol and swapvol (and optionally, dumpvol) must be created on the disk. All of these volumes must be contiguous with only one subdisk. The -g option may be used to specify the boot disk group. If no medianame arguments are specified, all disks that contain usable mirrors of the root, swap, /usr and /var volumes are configured to be bootable. If medianame arguments are given, only the disks that are associated with the specified disk names are configured to be bootable. vxbootsetup requires that: o The root volume must be named rootvol and must have a usage type of root. o The swap volume must be named swapvol and must have a usage type of swap. o The volumes containing /usr and /var (if any) must be named usr and var, respectively. See the chapter "Recovery from Boot Disk Failure" in the Veritas Volume Manager Troubleshooting Guide for detailed information on how the system boots and how VxVM impacts the system boot process. The vxmirror, vxrootmir, and vxresize utilities call vxbootsetup automatically. If you use vxassist, or vxmake and vxplex to create mirrors of the root volume on a disk, you must run vxbootsetup explicitly to make the disk bootable. ARGUMENTS
medianame Specifies the disk name (disk media name) of a VM disk that is to be configured as bootable. SEE ALSO
disksetup(1M), edvtoc(1M), vxassist(1M), vxevac(1M), vxinstall(1M), vxintro(1M), vxmake(1M), vxmirror(1M), vxplex(1M), vxresize(1M), vxrootmir(1M) Veritas Volume Manager Troubleshooting Guide VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxbootsetup(1M)