Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /dev/rmt/0cn
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers /dev/rmt/0cn Post 10116 by guest100 on Thursday 8th of November 2001 04:48:55 AM
Old 11-08-2001
Quote:
. If you wanted to restore a file from that second dump, you would first need to "mt fsf" to get there.
I "ufsdump" many file systems as you said one after the other using the no rewind optionbut when I do a restore I use 'ufsrestore si (Number)' and restore the appropriate file system.

What do you mean by that ??

Quote:
. You better specify the no rewind when you do. Then for the restore, you could use an auto-rewind special file.
Thanks for your help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/dev/rmt empty

hi all , i have just installed solris 9 on a sun 280R ,and i have appleid the recommended patches . after the installation i have found that /dev/rmt/ directory is empty , i thought that was normal , so i attached my DDS4 external tape drive and treid : devfsadm -C devfsadm -v reboot --... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppass
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"/dev/rmt/0: No such device or address" when using mt command

/dev/rmt/0: No such device or address I get this when I do a "mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind" This is on a Solaris 7 system. I tried devfsadm -c tape and drvconfig ; tape and both didn't work. Help please....... :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

3. AIX

dev/rmt 0.1 block size is 0; variable; must be 1024 fixed.

Hi. After the shutdown for SWIFT Alliance Server, tape backup process will be done. Unfortunately, I encountered this error message when I performed the database tape backup. The error was "/dev/rmt 0.1 block size is 0; variable; must be 1024 fixed. Consider reconfiguration through 'chdev'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MariaLuisa
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Empty /dev/rmt

Hi Guys, I a newbie in Unix environment. I need a help to detect my external SCSI tape drive. I tried with command drvconfig;devlinks;tapes.. but when I go to /dev/rmt/, the directory is still empty. I also tried with add_drv -v st but I'm getting this message # add_drv -v st exit... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akuslive
8 Replies

5. AIX

How to prevent /dev/rmt* re-assignments

Hi all, Sometimes, when I reboot my AIX server, my tape drive /dev/rmt# assignments change. This creates some tedious TSM work prior to and after a reboot of the server. Is there a way to ensure that the /dev/rmt# assignments come up the same every time? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwholey
5 Replies

6. Solaris

/dev/rmt is empty - Trying to make Tape Drive Functional

I have an HP Proliant DL380 with Intel Processors that I recently loaded Solaris 10 with latest patches on it. I'm trying to do a ufsdump to an HP DAT 40 tape drive via SCSI, but I can't get it to do anything because /dev/rmt is empty. I've tried the following with luck: touch /reconfigure,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvaughn
7 Replies

7. Hardware

/dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved

# mt stat HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive: sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0 file no= 0 block no= 0 mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn erase /dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved. Getting error while ufsdump .... --- Dumping / to /dev/rmt/0mn --- DUMP: Date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
1 Replies

8. Solaris

/dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved

# mt stat HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive: sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0 file no= 0 block no= 0 mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn erase /dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved. Getting error while ufsdump .... --- Dumping / to /dev/rmt/0mn --- DUMP: Date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
5 Replies

9. AIX

/dev/rmt devices are missing

Hello, I attached a tape drive to one of my partitions but i cannot find the device. I run the command lsdev|grep rmt but i dont get anything in return. When i run lsslot -c slot i can see the slot number and the device that belongs to the tape drive but i cannot find any rmt files in /dev.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
6 Replies

10. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
device_maps(4)                                                     File Formats                                                     device_maps(4)

NAME
device_maps - device_maps file SYNOPSIS
/etc/security/device_maps DESCRIPTION
The device_maps file contains access control information about each physical device. Each device is represented by a one line entry of the form: device-name : device-type : device-list : where device-name This is an arbitrary ASCII string naming the physical device. This field contains no embedded white space or non- printable characters. device-type This is an arbitrary ASCII string naming the generic device type. This field identifies and groups together devices of like type. This field contains no embedded white space or non-printable characters. device-list This is a list of the device special files associated with the physical device. This field contains valid device special file path names separated by white space. The device_maps file is an ASCII file that resides in the /etc/security directory. Lines in device_maps can end with a `' to continue an entry on the next line. Comments may also be included. A `#' makes a comment of all further text until the next NEWLINE not immediately preceded by a `'. Leading and trailing blanks are allowed in any of the fields. The device_maps file must be created by the system administrator before device allocation is enabled. This file is owned by root, with a group of sys, and a mode of 0644. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample device_maps file # scsi tape st1: rmt: /dev/rst21 /dev/nrst21 /dev/rst5 /dev/nrst5 /dev/rst13 /dev/nrst13 /dev/rst29 /dev/nrst29 /dev/rmt/1l /dev/rmt/1m /dev/rmt/1 /dev/rmt/1h /dev/rmt/1u /dev/rmt/1ln /dev/rmt/1mn /dev/rmt/1n /dev/rmt/1hn /dev/rmt/1un /dev/rmt/1b /dev/rmt/1bn: FILES
/etc/security/device_maps SEE ALSO
allocate(1), bsmconv(1M), deallocate(1), dminfo(1M), list_devices(1) NOTES
The functionality described in this man page is available only if the Basic Security Module (BSM) has been enabled. See bsmconv(1M) for more information. SunOS 5.10 16 Jan 2001 device_maps(4)