Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory New to Unix, need to copy disc using DD Post 100410 by mercy on Monday 27th of February 2006 10:52:20 AM
Old 02-27-2006
# dd if=/path_to_input_file_or_device of=/paht_to_outpup_file_or_device
for expample
# dd if=/dev/hda1 off=/usr/backup/old_disk

of couse /usr must be mounted on disk different from hda1 (in that sample)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disc Copy

Is there a disk copy utiliy for unix systems eg: I need to make a duplicate copy of a netraT1 to a netraT1 Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
1 Replies

2. Where do I download LINUX & UNIX?

Where can i get a copy of Unix or Linux?

where can i get a free copy of unix? any kind... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregtampa
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can i get a copy of Unix?

where can i get a free copy of unix? any kind... plz send to ::email removed:: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregtampa
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy of HP-UX from MO disc

This is my newbi question. I have HP-UX on a MO drive, need to backup that MO in case of damaging the original. Therefor I need a copy on server and be able to put that copy onto a blank MO to recreate a working bootable disc. This what I did. First I tried to make a copy with dd dd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tops
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

New MO disc format under HP Unix

How to format new MO disc under HP Unix? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vlad3131
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Ultra 10 - Copying Files From Disc After Booting Up With Recovery Disc?

Hello, I'm still learning unix and I have what is probably a simple question but I can't seem to find the question to. I have an Ultra 10 Sparc Server running solaris 8 and the drive may have crashed (I hope not). Currently, it appears some files in the /etc folder are missing. I have a backup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ideffects
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to copy information from unix

Hi, i'm new to unix and for a school project i need to copy some information out of a server tath uses unix and paste them in exel the way I want to. At the end this need to go automaticaly every day. my question is, how can i do this and are there other programs exept exel that I can use? thx,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dennisj1
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix copy command

Hi, I have the below command running in unix find /dev/data/ -name "*.*" -exec cp -R {} "/isdev/data//history" \; This command will copy the files from /dev/data/ to /isdev/data//history and will not throw even if there is no files in source. But if i modify the path from... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: redd
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UUCP (Unix to unix copy) not working

I have a problem using uucp. I have Ubuntu 10.4 and i installed the 'uucp' package. In my LAN there are a desktop pc, a laptop, and the router the desktop local ip is: 192.168.0.2 the laptop local ip is: 192.168.0.4 Here are the /etc/uucp/config and the /etc/uucp/sys i used on the desktop.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX command to copy files from Windows to UNIX box

Hi Folks, I have a file name abc.xml in my windows machine at the location c:\ytr\abc.xml which I want to place at the unix box machine inside cde directory.. at the following location that is /opt/app/cde/ now the credentials of unix box are abc345 -->(dummyid) ftyiu88--->(dummy passwd) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
4 Replies
MACUTIL(1)						      General Commands Manual							MACUTIL(1)

NAME
macutil - A package that deals with MacIntosh files on a Unix system DESCRIPTION
macutil is a package that contains a number of utilities that deal with MacIntosh files on a Unix system. It contains the following pro- grams: binhex Convert files to BinHex 4.0 compatible hexified form. frommac Receives files from the MacIntosh on the Unix system. hexbin Convert hexified files to their MacIntosh format. macsave Save a series of files from a MacBinary stream as individual files. macstream Combine a series of files to a MacBinary stream. macunpack Unpack a MacIntosh archive into its constituents. tomac Transmits files from the Unix system to a MacIntosh. BUGS
This manual page is hopelessly incomplete! SEE ALSO
binhex(1), frommac(1), hexbin(1), macsave(1), macstream(1), macunpack(1), tomac(1) AUTHOR
Dik T. Winter, CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (dik@cwi.nl) 3rd Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1992 MACUTIL(1)