Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: / directory is 100% full
Operating Systems Solaris / directory is 100% full Post 100267 by mercy on Saturday 25th of February 2006 03:49:40 PM
Old 02-25-2006
If you want to find problem yourself -
first - see the output of df to exclude other mount points
then use du
for example
# du -d / - whis can help you to locate
it will show size of folders in root directory.
then go to the biggest directory and type
# ls -Fha - whis command show you all files and ther sizes in human readable format.
if you will not find big files but you will see big directory
# cd big_directory
and again use du and ls
repeat this until you find too big file (may be it will be look like some_thing.core)

may be this help you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Savecore directory is full, what can be done?

what should i do in this situation. the system crashes and when it rebooted, it tries to dump the core files in the savecore directory. it finds that there is not enough space to dump the files so it just goes ahead and boots up and saves as much core as the directory can withhold 1. now my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Full Directory Listing...

Is there a way of listing everything under a directory. So for example if you wanted to know everything under the USR directory you would get all the sub directories and files in those directories as well as the file directly under the USR directory. I would imagine that you could do this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Full Directory without data....

$ df -hl Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 5.0G 4.7G 52% / /proc 0K 0K 0K 0% /proc mnttab 0K 0K 0K 0% /etc/mnttab fd 0K 0K 0K ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adel8483
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

directory full?

I'm not a unix admin, just fell into support, so I may be asking a real duh question. Client runs a PeopleSoft HR/Payrool system. The batch server runs in HPUX PA_RISC 11.11 When a batch process runs, output is written to "staging" directory. When the job finishes, successfully or not, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abNORMal
1 Replies

5. Solaris

root directory is full

root directory in server / is full 100% , i already tried to delete any core file , log , .. still files under /proc directory take more than 4 G.. what you advice please i don't want to format the server and install again and re partition , i tried the FORMAT tools ! but it seems i cant do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: moata_u
5 Replies

6. AIX

\tmp Directory is full up to 99%.

Dear All, We are on AIX OS, /tmp directory is filled up to 99% percent, Please suggest, How to get free space for "/tmp"? which files can be deleted from /tmp? and How to delete it? is there any commands..... Thanks in advance, Its very urgent, Helpful answers will be appreciated, Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kak
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory from full file name?

I think I know what this is doing, but the 'eval' is confusing fname=$(echo ${lineItem} | awk 'BEGIN {FS=";"}{print $1}') fname=${fname%%+(])} fname=${fname##+(])} eval "fname=${fname}" The first line extracts the contents of the line preceeding the ";" 2nd & 3rd lines trim the value (I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdorn001
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory full error

I have a directory 97% full warning. I have deleted 2 large files and still get the error each time I sign on. Can anyone help me with what I have failed to do? Thanks in advance. Danny Corley (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danny Corley
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

10. AIX

100% Inode full with only 67% FS full.

AIX Version 6.1 and 7.1. I understand that when the OS initially creates the FS and inodes, its pretty strict, but not always tuned to a 1:1 ratio. I see the same thing when adding a whole disk LV to a separate device. It seems that when we expand a filesystem the inodes don't get tuned... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
5 Replies
FIND(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   FIND(1)

NAME
find - find files meeting a given condition SYNOPSIS
find directory expression EXAMPLES
find / -name a.out -print # Print all a.out paths find /usr/ast ! -newer f -ok rm {} ; # Ask before removing find /usr -size +20 -exec mv {} /big ; # move files > 20 blks find / -name a.out -o -name '*.o' -exec rm {}; # 2 conds DESCRIPTION
Find descends the file tree starting at the given directory checking each file in that directory and its subdirectories against a predi- cate. If the predicate is true, an action is taken. The predicates may be connected by -a (Boolean and), -o (Boolean or) and ! (Boolean negation). Each predicate is true under the conditions specified below. The integer n may also be +n to mean any value greater than n, -n to mean any value less than n, or just n for exactly n. -name s true if current filename is s (include shell wild cards) -size n true if file size is n blocks -inum n true if the current file's i-node number is n -mtime ntrue if modification time relative to today (in days) is n -links ntrue if the number of links to the file is n -newer ftrue if the file is newer than f -perm n true if the file's permission bits = n (n is in octal) -user u true if the uid = u (a numerical value, not a login name) -group gtrue if the gid = g (a numerical value, not a group name) -type x where x is bcdfug (block, char, dir, regular file, setuid, setgid) -xdev do not cross devices to search mounted file systems Following the expression can be one of the following, telling what to do when a file is found: -print print the file name on standard output -exec execute a MINIX command, {} stands for the file name -ok prompts before executing the command SEE ALSO
test(1), xargs(1). FIND(1)