Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris remove the contents of a file Post 100147 by vino on Friday 24th of February 2006 06:06:00 AM
Old 02-24-2006
You want to empty the file ?

At the prompt give
Code:
> file.name

Within the editor (say vi), give
Code:
:g/.*/d

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the contents of a file without deleting the file

Hi All, I want to delete the contents of few files which are really huge in size. How the same can be done by using sed. Is there any other alternative to sed. Thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query:just need to remove the contents of the file without deleting that

Hii, Please suggest me how can i only remove the contents of the file without deleting it. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces from first field, and write entire contents into other text file

Hi all, I have searched and found various threads about removing spaces from a field within a text file. Unfortunately, I have not found exactly what I'm looking for, nor am I adept enough to modify what I've found into what I need. I use the following command to remove the first line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: carriehoff
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and remove all the contents of one file from another

Hi, I have two files, in which the second file has exactly the same contents of the first file with some additional records. Now, if I want to remove those matching lines from file2 and print only the extra contents which the first file does not have, I could use the below unsophisticated... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines based on contents of another file

So, this issue is driving me nuts! I was hoping to get a lending hand here... I have 2 files: file1.txt contains: this is example1 this is example2 this is example3 this is example4 this is example5 file2.txt contains: example3 example5 Basically, I need a script or command to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashshadow1979
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to copy a file without remove the contents of the target file?

Hello every body, Kindly support me to "copy a file without remove the contents of the target file" Thanks in advance. :) Ahmed Amer Cairo,Egypt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove or rename based on contents of file

I am trying to use the two files shown below to either remove or rename contents in one of those files. If in file1.txt $5 matches $5 of file2.txt and the value in $1 of file1.txt is not "No Match" then that value is substituted for all values in $5 and $1 of file2.txt. If however in $1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove contents from file which are under bracket?

hello Friend, In hostgroup file, i have define lots of hostgroups. I need to remove few of them without manually editing file. Need script or syntax. I want to search particular on hostgroup_members and delete hostgoup defination of it. for example. define hostgroup{ hostgroup_name... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghpradeep
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk function to remove lines that contain contents of another file

Hi, I'd be grateful for your help with the following. I have a file (file.txt) with 10 columns and about half a million lines, which in simplified form looks like this: ID Col1 Col2 Col3.... a 4 2 8 b 5 6 1 c 8 4 1 d... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aberg
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)