boot: cannot open kernel/sparcv9/unix

Operating Systems Solaris boot: cannot open kernel/sparcv9/unix
# 1  
Old 06-23-2005

Hi gurus,

I'm beginner with all this unix stuff and I'm trying to install a Solaris 8 but I got this error:

ok
ok
ok boot cdrom

SC Alert: Host System has Reset

Sun Fire V240, No Keyboard
Copyright 1998-2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
OpenBoot 4.13.2, 512 MB memory installed, Serial #61368979.
Ethernet address 0:3:ba:a8:6a:93, Host ID: 83a86a93.

Rebooting with command: boot cdrom
Boot device: /pci@1e,600000/ide@d/cdrom@0,0:f File and args:
Enter filename [kernel/sparcv9/unix]:

Can you help me?
Thanks in advance !

KM
# 2  
Old 06-23-2005
you try to install and old version of solaris8, don't you? on a v240 with the newest cpu's (1.33GHz and 1.5GHz) you must use at least solaris8 02/04 (solaris9 would be update7 09/04) . with the old cd's you don't have the kernel image for that mashines....

greetings PRESSY
# 3  
Old 06-23-2005
Perfect !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressy
you try to install and old version of solaris8, don't you? on a v240 with the newest cpu's (1.33GHz and 1.5GHz) you must use at least solaris8 02/04 (solaris9 would be update7 09/04) . with the old cd's you don't have the kernel image for that mashines....

greetings PRESSY
Hi PRESSY !
You're right, I tried to install an old version.
I downloaded the solaris8 02/04 and it worked perfectly !
Thank you very much

Regards,

KM
# 4  
Old 06-22-2007
I am also getting this error. I have moved a Netra 440 attached to a raid.

When I try to boot up I get the same error.
The problem with themachine is after running the system checks it prompts:

While at this prompt I have been unable to run any diagnostic commands as the system just returns

Enter filename [kernel/sparcv9/unix]: probe-scsi-all

boot: cannot open probe-scsi-all

I have used this machine a lot with the OS on and only after moving I have
got this error. The critical light is on at the front of the box.

Thanks in advance
George
# 5  
Old 06-26-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanket
I am also getting this error. I have moved a Netra 440 attached to a raid.

When I try to boot up I get the same error.
The problem with themachine is after running the system checks it prompts:

While at this prompt I have been unable to run any diagnostic commands as the system just returns

Enter filename [kernel/sparcv9/unix]: probe-scsi-all

boot: cannot open probe-scsi-all

I have used this machine a lot with the OS on and only after moving I have
got this error. The critical light is on at the front of the box.

Thanks in advance
George
Sounds like your hard disk has died.

hit 'stop a' (that's the stop/L1 key and the A key at the same time) on an attached keyboard, (simply plugging one in and pulling it back out will do the same thing) Failing that you'll need to plug in a serial console (laptop/VT100) and send a break. The program, Putty, or terraterm on a PC, can do this for you.

It should drop to the OK prompt

From there, type: test all

It should then go off and check your hardware.
You may also be able to do: test disk

Which may or may not offer you choices, one of which should say, (read data only) pick that one.

You don't need to do probe-scsi, since the machine can obviously see the disk, as it's attempting to boot from it.

It looks like it can't find your kernel, so the OSboot loader has run, and tried to hand control to the kernel but can't find it, so it's asking you where it is.

The quick and dirty option, is to pull your boot disk, (usually drive 0) then slap it hard on the top with the heel of your hand once. It should be hard enough to hurt your hard, but not cripple you Smilie

Once you've hit it, slot it back in, and fire it up again. What hitting it does is it frees up the heads if they get "stuck" However, if the system has been on for a long time undisturbed, and then you've turned it off and left it, it may have just died. This is normal. If you moved the system while it was powered up, you've probably killed it. You can mount the drive in another machine if you think the PSU in the 440 is faulty.

In the unlikely/lucky event, the machine comes back up, take a full system backup, and salvage as much as you can before you power it off. It likely wont come back up again.

As a general rule if the orange light goes on, it's hardware failure of some sort, call Sun, if you have a support contract, if not, start pulling FRU's and replacing them, and see what happens. anysystems.com have spares if you need them, and you don't have Sun support.

If you're in business you need some form of hardware cover, in case this sort of thing happens.

Last edited by praxis22; 06-26-2007 at 08:39 PM..
# 6  
Old 06-26-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis22
The quick and dirty option, is to pull your boot disk, (usually drive 0) then slap it hard on the top with the heel of your hand once. It should be hard enough to hurt your hard, but not cripple you Smilie
Before you get to that stage do the following...

Listen very carefully to confirm you can hear the drive spinning up, this should start as a low whine then get higher in pitch, then stay constant.

Then listen for a light 'tick-tick-tick', this is the sound of the heads moving backwards and forwards and is normal.

If you hear "whrrrr-clunk, whrrrr-clunk" that is the heads going backwards and forwards looking for track zero and is a bad noise to hear.

If you have another system you can plug the drive into then do a low level copy of the entire disk image if possible. As always testing the drive in another machine confirms if it is a hardware problem.
# 7  
Old 07-09-2007
Thanks for the advice. For some reason the power on the Raid controller needed to be cycled then it worked. Very annoying.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

Kernel can not boot after upgrade on Fedora OS 15.

Hello, everyone. I am using Fedora 15, and want to upgrade to version 16. I follow the official link Upgrading Fedora using yum - FedoraProject to upgrade my OS by the following command: yum update kernel* --releasever=16 yum groupupdate Base --releasever=16 reboot After reboot, OS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
2 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Kernel boot options removed by fault, no boot options

Hello Everyone, First of all, I highly appreciate all Linux forum members and whole Linux community. http://forums.linuxmint.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif. I wish you the best for all of you ! I will try to be short and concise: I am using Linux Mint 10 for 2 months on 2 ws, and all went... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdt
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New kernel won't boot

I compiled new kernel in linux 10.04 called linux-2.6.26.8-xenomai, it runs alongside the other kernel, but when I want to boot it I get an error message saying: Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev) ALERT! /dev/sda5 does not exist. After making the modules and headers I made the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdop
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Unable to boot the system "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix"

Hi All, I have installed Solaris 10 on my AMD 64 3000+ system. I was playing with grub commands eeprom and bootadm commands. I screwed my boot-file and now am unable to boot the system. Gets error msg as "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix". I booted the system is filesafe and tried update the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath K V
2 Replies

6. BSD

kernel fail to boot after recompile it

Salamo Alikom after recompilation my kernel does not boot and display msg said : enter full path to bash : /bin/sh i try fsck -r ,fsck -y but the problem is steel . my make.conf : PERL_VER=5.8.8 OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f8 PERL_VERSION=5.8.8 MODULES_OVERRIDE = linux acpi accf_http pccard msdosfs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SIFE
1 Replies

7. Solaris

A NEW version of "boot: cannot open kernel/sparcv9/unix "

Ok, I found this article: https://www.unix.com/sun-solaris/19665-boot-cannot-open-kernel-sparcv9-unix.html However it doesn't quite describe my situation. I have created a jumpstart DVD that works great, and installs my customized Solaris-10 (Yes 10, not 8 or 9 per previous posts) . It... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: biea
6 Replies

8. Solaris

cannot open kernel/sparcv9/unix

Hi All, For those who have seen my previous posts will know that I've been battling to build a Sol 9 installation along side an existing Sol 8 installation. I now have a some CD's with which to try but I get the above error message whenever I try booting from them. This happens when I try... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pondlife
1 Replies

9. SCO

Wanting to boot from a previous kernel

I tried to add ppp on a serial line tty1b and I relink the kernel. Now, I would like to boot from the previous kernel because I lost the connexion for the others terminal (serial lines) too. I would appreciate any help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacctono
3 Replies

10. SCO

Is there a way to give the name of another kernel from 'boot:' prompt.

Can I choose a kernel at 'boot:' prompt. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pacctono
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question