|Shell Programming and Scripting BSD, Linux, and UNIX shell scripting — Post awk, bash, csh, ksh, perl, php, python, sed, sh, shell scripts, and other shell scripting languages questions here.|
|basics of shell script, shell, shell script, shell scripting|
||Thread Tools||Search this Thread||Display Modes|
LEARN SHELL SCRIPTING BASICS
I am beginner to the SHELL SCRIPT and want to Learn SHELL SCRIPT Basics.
This thread should help to all beginners who want to learn SHELL SCRIPT
*** Thanks in advance to those who will contribute on this thread ***
Please guide me and all beginners...
1. Is there any good e-book available? if yes please share links.
2. Where can I try my shell script learning? any online servers available?
3. What is Bash?
4. What is difference between Bash, SSH and Shell Script?
5. Most widely used commands of Shell Script.
6. Summary sheet / summary document of shell script which can be printed and can be used for daily reference
7. What are DOs and DON'T of Shell Script
8. If users are using Free Unix / Free Linux, can they use same shell scripts?
9. How to test shell script without harming to hardware / data?
10. What kind of security we can provide to Shell Script?
11. How to write basic shell programs , like auto-install software, auto-backup, etc...
More topics are always welcome on this thread
Thank you very much again...
Thanks a ton to FRAPPA as I am new member so cannot reply with links. So trying to add in Main Post:
This site is full of materials.
Here I am sharing direct links for the beginners
Pocket Linux Guide
Pocket Linux Guide
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
HTML : Introduction to Linux
PDF : http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/intro-linux.pdf
Securing and Optimizing Linux:
Securing and Optimizing Linux
Bash Guide for Beginners:
HTML : Bash Guide for Beginners
PDF : http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-G...ners-Guide.pdf
Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide
HTML : Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide
PDF : http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/abs-guide.pdf
And Many other Linux guides are available here : The Linux Documentation Project: Guides
Last edited by sagarsbhandare; 01-05-2012 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: more meaningful title changed
May be this ppt is useful for beginers
|The Following User Says Thank You to joshiamit For This Useful Post:|
1. look for advanced bash scripting guide and other more basic resources on tldp.org, i also suggest you the linux hands on guide from tldp.org
2. if you have even a windows machine you can install virtualbox and deploy your linux/unix virtual machines for education/training
3.,4. bash is one of the many shells generally available on unix/linux; ssh is a protocol/application for securely and remotely logging into a system; a shell script is a batch of instructions that can be executed non-interactively - more on the resources suggested in 1.
5,6,7,8,9,10... start reading the suggested resources and practice your scripting skills =)
|The Following User Says Thank You to frappa For This Useful Post:|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|More UNIX and Linux Forum Topics You Might Find Helpful|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|SHELL Scripting Basics||rajasekg||Shell Programming and Scripting||2||09-17-2010 04:49 AM|
|Scripts and basics||Jayanthsec||Shell Programming and Scripting||1||11-01-2008 07:12 PM|
|Help me to learn about shell script||rjay.com||Shell Programming and Scripting||4||06-07-2007 11:50 PM|
|Shell basics||pradeep_desh||Shell Programming and Scripting||3||06-15-2006 11:27 AM|
|Basics of shell scripting||arvind.elle||Shell Programming and Scripting||2||10-05-2005 02:23 PM|