The UNIX and Linux Forums

The UNIX and Linux Forums (http://www.unix.com/index.php)
-   Programming (http://www.unix.com/programming/)
-   -   Building an operating system for senior project? (http://www.unix.com/programming/142106-building-operating-system-senior-project.html)

Hoonathan 08-11-2010 01:33 PM

Building an operating system for senior project?
 
Hey guys! this is my first post on this site. I was hoping you guys could help me out. I am going to be a senior this year and I want to build an operating system from scratch or at least do as much of as I can by myself. I want to build nothing big like ubuntu but something smaller looking that looks more like android or ios. I know I have to start off with a kernal and then from there do the rest but if you could help me out. Could you answer a few of my questions? and give me other tips that you think will be helpful? Thank you very much!

1. How do I start building the kernal? Is there a program i use to create it?

2. What programs will I need to create this operating system?

3. what languages will I need to learn? I looked this part up and found I will have to learn c+, C++ and maybe C#.

4. What programs will I need to create this whole project?


For people who don't know what a senior project is, it's a project that you create your senior year of high school or in college. You have to learn something then do something that relates to what you learned. I am a computer person and building a program seems something that anyone can do. I want more of a challenge. Thank you guys for all the help.

pludi 08-11-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoonathan (Post 302444309)
1. How do I start building the kernal? Is there a program i use to create it?

With a design. I'd suggest reading something like Tanenbaums Modern Operating Systems.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoonathan (Post 302444309)
2. What programs will I need to create this operating system?

And editor, and a compilation toolchain.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoonathan (Post 302444309)
3. what languages will I need to learn? I looked this part up and found I will have to learn c+, C++ and maybe C#.

Maybe C, and definitely the assembler dialect spoken by the platform you're programming for. C++ is more for user space, and C# needs an underlying VM to run.

I'd suggest, aside from the Tanenbaum, that you take a look at the sources for (at least one of) the Linux kernel, Minix3 (which was written as a teaching OS), FreeBSD, or KolibriOS.

Hoonathan 08-11-2010 10:05 PM

Thank you very much. I have a design, where should i start off?

fpmurphy 08-11-2010 11:37 PM

One place you could start is the memory manager.

Praveen_218 08-12-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoonathan (Post 302444405)
Thank you very much. I have a design, where should i start off?

Could you please share your design here ?

pinga123 08-12-2010 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoonathan (Post 302444309)
Hey guys! this is my first post on this site. I was hoping you guys could help me out. I am going to be a senior this year and I want to build an operating system from scratch or at least do as much of as I can by myself. I want to build nothing big like ubuntu but something smaller looking that looks more like android or ios. I know I have to start off with a kernal and then from there do the rest but if you could help me out. Could you answer a few of my questions? and give me other tips that you think will be helpful? Thank you very much!

1. How do I start building the kernal? Is there a program i use to create it?

2. What programs will I need to create this operating system?

3. what languages will I need to learn? I looked this part up and found I will have to learn c+, C++ and maybe C#.

4. What programs will I need to create this whole project?


For people who don't know what a senior project is, it's a project that you create your senior year of high school or in college. You have to learn something then do something that relates to what you learned. I am a computer person and building a program seems something that anyone can do. I want more of a challenge. Thank you guys for all the help.

First of all Great initiative .Considering the vast amount of knowledge require to accomplish the project i recommend you to find a people with similar interest who are eager to participate in. Making your idea go Open source should do the trick unless you want to retain the privacy of your operating system.

kumaran_5555 08-12-2010 02:05 AM

I would like to participate in this, if you would like to share you work. I have good hands on experience in C programming.

please let me know your wish.


Thanks
Kumaran


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Linux and Unix Supported by: vBulletin
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v1.1.4 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
The UNIX and Linux Forums Content Copyright ©1993-2013. All Rights Reserved.
Forum Operations by The UNIX and Linux Forums