Changing part of file name

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Changing part of file name
# 1  
Old 08-13-2011
Changing part of file name

I have a bunch of files that got mislabeled, something like this:
Quote:
H1N1-4-C1.seq
An d I need to change the first part of the file name for a different identifier, something like this:
Quote:
Baseline-4-C1.seq
How can I accomplish such task?
Thanks!
# 2  
Old 08-13-2011
Assuming you are using Kshell or bash, this should work.

Code:
ls H1N1-*.seq | while read x
do
    echo mv $x Baseline-${x#*-}
done

In this form it will list the commands. After you verify that the new names are correct, remove the echo and run the command to actually move the files to the new names.
# 3  
Old 08-13-2011
I got it

Code:
for i in *; do mv $i Baseline-${i#*-}; done

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to make a loop to read the input from a file part by part?

Hi All, We've a VDI infrastructure in AWS (AWS workspaces) and we're planning to automate the process of provisioning workspaces. Instead of going to GUI console, and launching workspaces by selecting individual users is little time consuming. Thus, I want to create them in bunches from AWS CLI... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_adm
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the specific part of the file name with file creation date?

Hello Folks, I have an requirement, where i need to get total count of the file based on creation date with there filename selected pattern. Filename: MobileProtocol.20171228T154200.157115.udr I want to get the count of files created on each day based on a pattern find. find . -type... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing file permissions of a file created by another user

Hi, I have used expdp for datapump. The .dmp file is created by the "oracle" user. my requirement is to make a zipped file of this .dmp file. What i am trying to do is change the permissions of this .dmp file from 0640 to 0644 and then do a gzip and zip it. Is there any way i can change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Printing a part of the last line of the specific part of a file

Hi, I have 80 large files, from which I want to get a specific value to run a Bash script. Firstly, I want to get the part of a file which contains this: Name =A xxxxxx yyyyyy zzzzzz aaaaaa bbbbbb Value = 57 This is necessary because in a file there are written more lines which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making replicates of a file with part of a line randomized for each file

Ok, so let's say that I have a file like the following: I want to create 100 replicates of this file, except that for each file, I want different randomized combinations of either A or B at the end of each line so that I would end up with files like the following: and etc. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Scatterbrain26
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing a file when the inode modified time of the other file changes

i have a requirement where i needed to change variable values in a properties file(first file) whenever there is change to Release details file(second file). My question is do i have to create a daemon process that always checks the modified time/inode change of the second file and then change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saikiran_1984
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing file content based on file header

Hi, I have several text files each containing some data as shown below: File1.txt >DataHeader Data... Data... File2.txt >DataHeader Data... Data... etc. What I want is to change the 'DataHeader' based on the file name. So the output should look like: File1.txt >File1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing part of column value with AWK

Hi All , Here is my req I am extracting a column value and I want to change part of its value according to user input Say the column I extracted is of 15 digits and I want to change the 11th to 14th position with user input 4 digit value Example column value 111111111111111 user input... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing csv file contents to file of rows

i have a file a.txt contents as 1,2,3,4,......etc...in a single line, i want to write to another file in rows as 1 2 3 4 5 can u help? i do not know the length of a.txt (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pravfraz
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with multiple file rename - change case of part of file name

Hi there, I hope someone can help me with this problem : I have a directory (/var/www/file/imgprofil) which contains about 10000 JPG files. They have a naming convention thus : prefix-date-key-suffix.jpg they all have the prefix p-20050608- then AAAA is a 4 letter code the suffix is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve7
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question