Old 09-13-2006
funny characters at the end of file

I'm creating a file in a script :

cat > ${SOURCEFILEPATH}/${FILENAME} <<!
blahblahblah
!

The file that is created has funny characters at the end:
^[[K
What is that and how can I get rid of it?
# 2  
Old 09-13-2006
Hi, I tried it from the command line and got no funny file name? (Running HP-UX) also inside a shell. could not duplicate problem. What OS are you running..?
Only suggestion os replace "!" with "EOF" as "!" does have meaning inside shells.
# 3  
Old 09-14-2006
can you tell us what is that character with
Code:
cat filename | od -c

or
Code:
cat -v filename

# 4  
Old 09-14-2006
well I figured out the problem. I guess I should've given more information about what was going into the file instead of "blahblah".
I was outputting some info from the "top" command. The top command has these characters at the end of every line for some reason:

[prompt>]top -n0 | head -4 | tail -1 | cat -v
total 0.0% 0.0% 0.4% 0.0% 0.0% 0.2% 99.2%^[[K

So I just got rid of everything after the last percent sign and now I'm fine.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help to delete special characters exists only at the end of the each record in UNIX file?

Hi, I have a file in unix with 15 columns.It consists special characters(#,$,^M,@,*,% etc)at the end of the each record.I want to remove these special characters.I used the following: Sed -e 's/ /g;s/ */ /g' . But It is removing special characters exists everywhere in the file(begining,middle... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
24 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a particular string from column eliminating characters at the end.

Hi, So basically I have this file containing query output in seperated columns. In particular column I have the below strings: news news-prio I am trying to grep the string news without listing news-prio aswell. I tried grep "$MSG_TYPE" , grep -w "$MSG_TYPE" , grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing end of line characters

Hello, I'm looking for some help in renaming data-timestamps stored within different calendar directories/files. The calendar directory has hundreds of ICS files: ~/Library/Calendars/F494C908.calendar/Events/92B65E439AAC.ics ~/Library/Calendars/F494C908.calendar/Events/DE7867E61969.ics... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Schubi
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing characters from end of string

Hello, I have records like below that I want to remove any five characters from the end of the string before the double quotes unless it is only an asterik. 3919,5020 ,04/17/2012,0000000000006601.43,,0000000000000000.00,, 132, 251219,"*" 1668,0125 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters from end of line (length unknown)

Hi I have a file which contains wrong XML, There are some garbage characters at the end of line that I want to get rid of. Example: <request type="product" ><attributes><pair><name>q</name><value><!]></value></pair><pair><name>start</name><value>1</value></pair></attributes></request>�J ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirtyd0ggy
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

take all characters from end to start till a fullstop

e.g. "hello.all" to be transformed to "all" :b: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append characters to end of line

Coding in unix shell script. Hi All, Please help Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam12345
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting control characters at the end of each line

How to add control characters at the end of each line in a file? Can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Shobana (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shobana_s
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filenames created with '\r' characters at the end

Hi all, Am creating files and doing copy,compare and deletion. As i do not want to mention the filepath everywhere, i store the filepaths in variables. FILENAME="/home/test/create/Myfile.txt" WR_PATH="/home/test/wrie/writefile.txt" RD_PATH="/home/test/myread/readfile.txt" echo "This is my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing characters from end of $string

I am writing a script to search PCL output and append more PCL data to the end accordingly. I need to remove the last 88 bytes from the string. I have searched for a few hours now and am coming up with nothing. I can't use head or tail because the PCL output is all on one line. awk crashes on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: craig2k
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question