Questions about setting up GPFS | Unix Linux Forums | AIX

  Go Back    


AIX AIX is IBM's industry-leading UNIX operating system that meets the demands of applications that businesses rely upon in today's marketplace.

Questions about setting up GPFS

AIX


Tags
aix, unix

Closed Thread    
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
    #1  
Old 11-19-2012
bstring bstring is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Last Activity: 12 May 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
Posts: 52
Thanks: 26
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Questions about setting up GPFS

Hello, I need to test whether our product will work with GPFS filesystems and I have some questions regarding the setup:

1. Do I need to dedicate an entire hard disk if I want to have GPFS on it? Or can I somehow split a disk into 2 virtual disks, and only use 1 for gpfs?
2. If lspv returns "none" that means the disk is connected but has not been allocated, and thus available for use in GPFS setup?
Example (hdisk3):

Code:
[root@aix01: /]# lspv
hdisk0          00ca0c3546524b4e                    rootvg          active
hdisk1          00ca0c35797dab06                    vg1             active
hdisk2          00ca0c35797daba9                    vg1             active
hdisk3          none                                None
hdisk4          00ca0c35645c51bf                    san1            active
hdisk5          00ca0c3564646ef3                    san2            active

3. Do I have to have a second node in order to create a cluster and create a gpfs on that cluster? Or can I start with one node (just to test functionality) and add a second node later? (basically, can I use that one system above with hdisk3 available to test gpfs on its own?)

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
    #2  
Old 11-20-2012
jstnobdy jstnobdy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Last Activity: 10 December 2012, 4:46 PM EST
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hello!

To your first question, GPFS is a full device allocation, therefore, anything you wish to allocate will be consumed as an NSD.

Regarding your second question, yes, that disk is more than likely empty and therefore can be used for GPFS.

Finally, GPFS can run on one node (a single node quorum) and can have additional nodes added to it later. Make sure you have good time synchronization (xntpd) and decent performing disk storage.

Best regards,
jstnobdy

---------- Post updated at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:57 PM ----------

One more thing, GPFS is pretty tolerant, just make sure you define "dataOnly" and "metadataOnly" disks when you create your NSDs (mmcrnsd). In this case, allocate 'x'-amount of storage for dataOnly NSDs and a relatively small disk for metadataOnly.

Good luck. If you have any questions, let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to jstnobdy For This Useful Post:
bstring (11-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
    #3  
Old 11-20-2012
bstring bstring is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Last Activity: 12 May 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
Posts: 52
Thanks: 26
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnobdy View Post
Hello!

To your first question, GPFS is a full device allocation, therefore, anything you wish to allocate will be consumed as an NSD.
Ah okay, that makes sense. If I have existing data on that device, will it wipe it all out once I add it to the cluster?
Quote:
Regarding your second question, yes, that disk is more than likely empty and therefore can be used for GPFS.

Finally, GPFS can run on one node (a single node quorum) and can have additional nodes added to it later. Make sure you have good time synchronization (xntpd) and decent performing disk storage.

Best regards,
jstnobdy

---------- Post updated at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:57 PM ----------

One more thing, GPFS is pretty tolerant, just make sure you define "dataOnly" and "metadataOnly" disks when you create your NSDs (mmcrnsd). In this case, allocate 'x'-amount of storage for dataOnly NSDs and a relatively small disk for metadataOnly.

Good luck. If you have any questions, let me know.
Thank you very much for the answer!
    #4  
Old 11-20-2012
jstnobdy jstnobdy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Last Activity: 10 December 2012, 4:46 PM EST
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstring View Post
Ah okay, that makes sense. If I have existing data on that device, will it wipe it all out once I add it to the cluster?
Yep. For testing it would be nice to do a LV but you can't. Sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to jstnobdy For This Useful Post:
bstring (11-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
    #5  
Old 11-21-2012
bstring bstring is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Last Activity: 12 May 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
Posts: 52
Thanks: 26
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnobdy View Post
Yep. For testing it would be nice to do a LV but you can't. Sorry.
Gotcha. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

More UNIX and Linux Forum Topics You Might Find Helpful
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GPFS 3.3 thecobra151 AIX 4 06-23-2011 03:37 PM
GPFS Vit0_Corleone AIX 0 05-18-2011 10:38 AM
How to configure new hdisk such that it has a gpfs fs on it and is added to a running gpfs cluster? aixromeo AIX 1 04-18-2011 09:04 AM
SSD with GPFS ? zxmaus AIX 0 04-05-2011 10:33 PM
Setting com port questions thumper UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 0 10-17-2006 12:03 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 PM.