Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dd command
Operating Systems Solaris dd command Post 99977 by zazzybob on Wednesday 22nd of February 2006 07:29:38 PM
Old 02-22-2006
I dd from CD-ROM and DVD quite often to make iso images for mounting under VMWare ESX server. I always use a bs=512 in the dd command when creating the ISOs. I've never timed it, but also never been disappointed with performance - most data I've ever dd'd from optical media is around 1.4Gb.

Cheers
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

inconsistent ls command display at the command prompt & running as a cron job

Sir, I using the following commands in a file (part of a bigger script): #!/bin/bash cd /opt/oracle/bin ls -lt | tail -1 | awk '{print $6}' >> /tmp/ramb.out If I run this from the command prompt the result is: 2007-05-16 if I run it as a cron job then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajranibl
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

3. AIX

AIX:Command to get netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6

AIX:Command to get netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6 Can anybody help us with a command to retrieve netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6 on aix machine. net/subnet address is in the format 172.16.212.0(signifies all 255 machines in an IPv4 network) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie8278
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix command : how to insert text at the cursor location via command line?

Hi, Well my title isn't very clear I think. So to understand my goal: I have a script "test1" #!/bin/bash xvkbd -text blabla with xbindkeys, I bind F5 key in order it runs my test1 script So when I press F5, test1 runs. I'm under Emacs/Vi and I press F5 in order to have "blabla" be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xib.be
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing command output from one command to the next command in cshell

HI Guys, I hope you are well. I am trying to write a script that gets executed every time i open a shell (cshell). I have two questions about that 1) I need to enter these commands $ echo $DISPLAY $ setenv $DISPLAY output_of_echo_$display_command How can i write a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple command execution inside awk command during xml parsing

below is the output xml string from some other command and i will be parsing it using awk cat /tmp/alerts.xml <Alert id="10102" name="APP-DS-ds_ha-140018-componentFailure-S" alertDefinitionId="13982" resourceId="11427" ctime="1359453507621" fixed="false" reason="If Event/Log Level(ANY) and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. AIX

I'm facing problem with rpm command, when running the command and appears this error:

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program /usr/opt/freeware/bin/rpm because of the following errors: 0509-022 Cannot load module /opt/freeware/lib/libintl.a(libintl.so.1). 0509-150 Dependent module /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a(shr4.o) could not be loaded. 0509-152 Member... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ohmkar
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Another one line command where I'd like to determine if Ubuntu or Red Hat when running command

Hello Forum, I'm making very good progress on my report thanks to the very helpful people on this forum. I've been able to successfully create my report for my Red Hat servers. But I do have a few ubuntu servers in the mix and I'd like to capture some data from them when an ssh connection is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
8 Replies
GRML2ISO(8)															       GRML2ISO(8)

NAME
grml2iso - create a multiboot grml ISO using grml2usb SYNOPSIS
grml2iso -o <target.iso> <ISO[s]> Important! The grml team does not take responsibility for loss of any data! INTRODUCTION
grml2iso allows you to create a multiboot grml ISO. You can specify two or more grml ISOs and will get one single multiboot ISO as a result. grml2iso requires and uses grml2usb for this task and installs grub2 as bootmanager on the multiboot ISO. OPTIONS
grml2iso supports the environment variables GRML2USB and WRKDIR. GRML2USB specifies the path to the grml2usb script you'd like to use. WRKDIR specifies the work directory for creating the filesystem. The work directory needs at least as much free disk space as the sum of all specified ISOs. -o <target.iso> This option is mandatory and specifies where the resulting multiboot grml ISO should be placed. Note that (to avoid any possible data loss) grml2iso will exit if the specified target.iso exists already. -c <directory> The content of the specified directory will be copied to the resulting multiboot grml ISO. -b <boot params> Use specified default bootoptions as default. -f Force the program to run and overwrite an existing iso image. -r <boot param> Remove specified boot parameter from existing command line. Could be specified multiple times. -p <grml2usb param> Execute grml2usb with the specified parameters. For a list of valid parameters have a look at the grml2usb webpage[1] or the grml2usb manpage -s <URI> Generate a small iso file which downloads the squashfs file from the specified URI. Due to current limitations in busyboxs wget and DNS resolution, an URL can not contain a hostname but an IP only. This is useful if you want to boot systems which support booting iso image from your local system. Besides the iso image this command also copies the squashfs file to the output directory. USAGE EXAMPLES
# grml2iso -o /tmp/grml.iso grml_2009.05.iso grml64_2009.05.iso Create multiboot ISO /tmp/grml.iso with grml_2009.05.iso and grml64_2009.05.iso. # grml2iso -b 'lang=de ssh=passwd' -c /tmp/grml-content -o /srv/grml.iso /srv/grml/grml_2009.10.iso Create a new iso with additional boot parameters and copy the content from /tmp/grml-content to the generated iso image. # grml2iso -r quiet -r vga=791 -o /srv/grml.iso /srv/grml-small_2009.10.iso Create a new iso and remove existing boot parameters quiet and vga=791. # GRML2USB=/srv/git/grml2usb grml2iso -o /srv/grml.iso /srv/grml/grml_2009.05.iso /srv/grml/grml64-medium_2009.05.iso Create multiboot ISO /srv/grml.iso with grml_2009.05.iso and grml64-medium_2009.05.iso using /srv/git/grml2usb as grml2usb script. # WRKDIR=/mnt/test/grml-tmp grml2iso -o /mnt/test/grml.iso grml_2009.05.iso grml64_2009.05.iso Use /mnt/test/grml-tmp as working directory for creating the multiboot ISO /mnt/test/grml.iso with grml_2009.05.iso and grml64_2009.05.iso. # grml2iso -p --skip-addons -o /srv/grml.iso /srv/grml-small_2009.10.iso /srv/grml64-small_2009.10.iso Don't copy the addons from the specified iso images ONLINE RESSOURCES
Check out the grml2usb webpage[1] and the grml2usb git repository[2]. BUGS
Please report feedback, bugreports and wishes to the author. AUTHORS
Michael Prokop <mika@grml.org[3]> and Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.org[4]> NOTES
1. grml2usb webpage http://grml.org/grml2usb/ 2. grml2usb git repository http://git.grml.org/?p=grml2usb.git 3. mika@grml.org mailto:mika@grml.org 4. tg@mirbsd.org mailto:tg@mirbsd.org 05/28/2012 GRML2ISO(8)