Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to give permission for a specified user Post 99044 by matrixmadhan on Tuesday 14th of February 2006 05:57:19 AM
Old 02-14-2006
check under which category is the user=admin is falling

user
group
others

and accordingly set the read | write | execute permission of the file

permission bits you can get from chmod

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

give user permission on specific directory in solaris

dear all does any one give any user write permission using access control list or another way to solve this problem (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murad.jaber
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HOw do i give a user cronjob edit/settings permission?

Hi, In a Unix Server when i 'su' to my name and type in crontab it says " You are not authorised......". Pls suggest what to do? How do i give myself permission so that I can schedule a cron. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: debu
2 Replies

3. AIX

[Help] Give privilege to an ordinary user

I'm trying to give a non-root user the right to start IBM HTTP Server, the web server is listening on port 80, but for AIX, ports under 1024 are privilege ports which can be used only by root. /usr/IBMIHS/bin# ./apachectl start (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address :::80... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ibmer414
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to give FTP access to a single user

Hi all, How can i give ftp access to single user on solaris9 system? others should not have the ftp access. i know about ftpusers file in /etc/ftpd but still what about if so many new users are created daily? And now for that single user how can we restict him to ftp the files only from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santhoshkumar_d
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to give an ordinary user the superuser (root) ID which is 0

How to give an ordinary user the superuser (root) ID which is 0 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharaola
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

give permission to read a file

I want to give tester only the account tester to view the file /var/mail/root nobody else but him and of course the owner root w/o changing the permisions of /var/mail/root -rw-------. $ cat /var/mail/root cat: /var/mail/root: Permission denied (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how can i use /usr/ucb/ps to give the full user

Hi, on solaris I need the full ps output, and process this. With /usr/ucb/ps auxwww I get the output as wanted, but the user is cut off to 8 long. With ps -o ruser I can get the full username, but I do not have the full output. Is it possible to get long output, with the full username? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dimpie
1 Replies

8. Solaris

How to give full permission to a directory?

Hi, I have enabled the Apache webserver on my machime. Apache root directory is /etc/apache2 and the user in which the web server is configured is webservd,I guess. I have another user called perf. Under perf user there is /export/home/perf/v9 directory. I want to give the OS user of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bikas89
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to give a user sudo permissions

Can some one please let me know a script which gives the user sudo permissions? Thanks in advance.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Revanth547
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I give permission for the kill command?

<?php $comando = "kill -9 3104"; $output = shell_exec($comando); ?> I am running this web page, but it does not execute the command, in the log file it looks like this: sh: 1: kill: Operation not permitted How do I give permission to execute the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rodrigo_Bueno
1 Replies
prelude-admin(1)					      General Commands Manual						  prelude-admin(1)

NAME
prelude-admin - Manage agents accounts SYNOPSIS
prelude-admin <subcommand> [options] [args] prelude-admin add <profile name> [--uid UID] [--gid GID] prelude-admin chown <profile name> [--uid UID] [--gid GID] prelude-admin del <profile name> prelude-admin rename <profile name> <profile name> prelude-admin register <profile name> <wanted permission> <registration-server address> [--uid UID] [--gid GID] [--passwd=PASSWD>] [--passwd-file=<FILE>] prelude-admin registration-server <profile name> [--uid UID] [--gid GID] [--prompt] [--passwd=PASSWD>] [--passwd-file=<FILE>] [--keepalive] [--no-confirm] [--listen] prelude-admin revoke <profile> <analyzerID> [--uid UID] [--gid GID] DESCRIPTION
In order for an agent to communicate with a manager, it must be registered. Registration involves several steps: - Allocating an unique identity for the agent - Creating directory to be used by the agent (example: failover purpose) - Registering to a remote 'prelude-manager': get a signed X509 certificate that will allow communication between agent and manager using the specified permissions. All these informations are stored in an agent profile. An agent profile is identified by its name. When an agent is started, it will load the profile of the same name as the program itself, that is, if your agent is named "prelude-lml", the agent will load the profile named "prelude-lml". The name of the profile can be overriden using the '--prelude --profile name_of_my_profile' command line option. It is possible to define the profile name so that you can have several instances of one agent running with different permissions, using different profiles. Note that profiles are not specific to agents, but are used in all programs of the Prelude suite (agents, managers, etc). If you are not sure which permission your agent should get, just start it and default permissions will be displayed. OPTIONS
<profile name> is the default name of the agent you are installing or your own defined name. If you start your agent without prior registration, a warning is displayed including the default profile name on how to register the agent. <requested permission> is the permission your agent needs. It is composed of permission attributes (idmef or admin) and access type: read/write (r/w). By default, an agent need permissions for writing IDMEF to a manager, and reading administrative command sent to it. That is : "idmef:w admin:r". <manager address> is the address of the prelude-manager you wish to register. this can either be its IP address or its hostname. If you made a local installation, you can write localhost to connect via unix socket. Remember to use the correct uid/gid when registering your agent. For instance, if you want to register snort (running with snort euid / egid), use --uid snort --gid snort. add <analyzer profile> Setup a new agent user. --uid=UID UID or user to use to setup agent files. --gid=GID GID or group to use to setup agent files. chown <analyzer profile> Change analyzer owner. --uid=UID UID or user to use to setup agent files. --gid=GID GID or group to use to setup agent files. del <analyzer profile> The delete command will remove the agent files created through "add" command. Once this is done, the analyzer can't be used unless "register" or "add" is called again. rename <analyzer profile> <analyzer profile> Rename an existing analyzer. register <profile name> <wanted permission> <registration-server address> Register an analyzer. Register and create the analyzer basic setup if needed. It will also configure communication of this analyzer with a receiving ana- lyzer (like a Manager) through the specified registration-server. --uid=UID UID or user to use to setup analyzer files. --gid=GID GID or group to use to setup analyzer files. --passwd=PASSWD Use provided password instead of prompting it. --passwd-file=-|FILE Read password from file instead of prompting it (- for stdin). registration-server <profile name> Start a registration server to register agents. This is used in order to register 'sending' analyzer to 'receiving' analyzer. <pro- file name> should be set to the profile name of the --uid=UID UID or user to use to setup 'receiving' analyzer files. --gid=GID GID or group to use to setup 'receiving' analyzer files. --prompt Prompt for a password instead of auto generating it. --passwd=PASSWD Use provided password instead of auto generating it. --passwd-file=-|FILE Read password from file instead of auto generating it (- for stdin). --keepalive Register analyzer in an infinite loop. --no-confirm Do not ask for confirmation on agent registration. --listen Address to listen on for registration request (default is any:5553). revoke <profile name> Revoke access to <profile> for the given analyzerID. --uid=UID UID or user to use to setup analyzer files. --gid=GID GID to group to use to setup analyzer files. --help Print help AUTHOR
This man page has been written by Frederic Motte 19 June 2007 prelude-admin(1)