Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: lost root password in AIX
Operating Systems AIX lost root password in AIX Post 98770 by ScatterBrain on Friday 10th of February 2006 07:50:45 PM
Old 02-10-2006
aix 4.3? have you tried booting into maintenance mode?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Root Password Lost !!!

I've forgotten root password on one of Solaris machines, i searched in forumes to find a similar case but there's no proceudre here to reinintialize root password, cause most of related commands & even single user mode needs root password that i don't have. Any solution would be helpful. --rgrds,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

I lost my password root

Hello ... I lost my password root ! maybe someone can to help me to log in HP_UX, i started the server in " Singel - User" and i changed my password to new password and it`s not working .. what i must to do ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanly
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Lost Root Password

I have recently become the sys adm guy for our unix systems here for my shop. I have a pretty good understanding of the system, but there is just some stuff that I don't know. Right now one of those things is to recover the password for a unix system. I know that there is a way that you can use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GlockCW
2 Replies

4. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Lost root password / Can't login as root

We have quite a few threads about this subject. I have collected some of them and arranged them by the OS which is primarily discussed in the thread. That is because the exact procedure depends on the OS involved. What's more, since you often need to interact with the boot process, the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

5. Linux

how to access root priveliges if root password is lost

wish to know how to access root password it root password is forgotten in linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root Password Lost

I'm attempting to blank out the root user password on a machine that we have forgotten the password for. I have been using the advice posted on this site to boot from CDROM in single user mode, then mounting the root slice and editing the /etc/shadow file. Each time I save the shadow file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gonzotonka
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Lost Root Password

This is a common question im sure... I bought a RS/6000 Model 240. Aix 4.3.3 loaded. No root password was supplied to me, but I do have the install media (4 disks). I want to drop into maint mode. So I place the cd into the drive, restart the box ( by pressing the power button, since i do not have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoeJohnSmith
3 Replies

8. SCO

unixware 7.1.4 lost root password

I dont have the cds, what can i do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sopapa
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root password on aix lost, how to recover

Hi guys, we have "forget" the root password for 1 of our AIX machines, how can we reset it? or recover it?? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Lost Root Password on VXVM Encapsulated Root Disk

Hi All Hope it's okay to post on this sub-forum, couldn't find a better place I've got a 480R running solaris 8 with veritas volume manager managing all filesystems, including an encapsulated root disk (I believe the root disk is encapsulated as one of the root mirror disks has an entry under... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnyd76
1 Replies
cmmodpkg(1m)															      cmmodpkg(1m)

NAME
cmmodpkg - enable or disable switching attributes for a high availability package SYNOPSIS
cmmodpkg {-e[-t]|-d} [-n node_name]... [-v] package_name... cmmodpkg [-v] [-n node_name] -R -s service_name package_name cmmodpkg [-v] [-m on [-n node_name] | off] package_name ... DESCRIPTION
cmmodpkg is used to perform runtime administration of Serviceguard packages. In the first form, it performs two operations. It enables or disables the ability of a package to switch to another node upon failure of the package, and it enables or disables a particular node from running specific packages. This command may be run on any node within the cluster and may operate on any package within the cluster. This command is not for use with SYSTEM_MULTI_NODE packages (HP-UX only) in this first form. To change a packages's switching attributes, a user must either be a superuser with effective user ID of zero (see id(1) and su(1)), or have an access policy of PACKAGE_ADMIN allowed in the cluster or package configuration file. See access policy in cmquerycl(1m) or cmmakepkg(1m). Switching for a package can be enabled or disabled globally. For example, if a globally disabled package of type FAILOVER fails, it will not switch to any other node, and if a globally enabled package of type FAILOVER fails, it will attempt to switch to an alternate node according to its configured failover policy (see cmmakepkg(1m)). If the failover policy is CONFIGURED_NODE, the first available node is chosen by starting at the top of the list of NODE_NAME entries in the package configuration file and searching for the first node which is both UP (part of the running cluster) and is enabled for that package. For example, in a 3 node cluster, where node1, node2, and node3 are the ordered list of NODE_NAME entries for a package, and the package is currently running on node2, if node2 were to fail, the package would first try to run on the primary node, node1. In the case of the SITE_PREFERRED failover policy, Serviceguard chooses the first available node by starting at the top of the list of NODE_NAME entries in the package configuration file and searching for the first node which is UP (part of the running cluster) and enabled for that package, and which belongs to the last SITE the package ran on. If the last SITE is unknown, SITE_PREFERRED failover behaves identical to CONFIGURED_NODE In the case of the MIN_PACKAGE_NODE failover policy, the first available node is chosen by selecting a node from the list of NODE_NAME entries, which is UP (part of the running cluster), enabled for that package, and running the fewest number of other packages. Switching can be enabled or disabled for a particular node. For example, if a package fails, it may not switch to a disabled node but could switch to an enabled node. Enabled simply means that switching is allowed for that package on that node. Disabled means that switching is not allowed for that pack- age on that node. The current value for switching attributes can be seen with the cmviewcl(1m) command and are specified for each package. The behaviour of multi-node packages is different from that of failover packages when you enable package switching with cmmodpkg. cmmodpkg will cause a multi-node package to start for the first time only if auto_run is disabled; this is different from the behavior with failover packages. If a multi-node package has been halted with cmhaltpkg it can be re-started only via cmrunpkg. If a package run script fails, if its service fails, or if its subnet fails on a particular node, there is most likely a package specific problem with that node. The package switching to that particular node will be disabled and the package will not be allowed to run there again until package switching on the node is re-enabled. This prevents automatic restart/failure loops of the package. The administrator should determine why the failure occurred and resolve it. Then, re-enable package switching on that particular node via the -n and -e options. See EXAMPLES SECTION. The second form of cmmodpkg is used to reset the service restart counter for service service_name contained in package package_name. For package services which utilize the automatic restart facility, the restart counter is used to determine when a package has exceeded its restart limit. The restart limit is specified by the RESTART_COUNT environment variable in the package control script. The cluster monitor does not automatically reset the restart counter when a package service has been successfully restarted. When a pack- age service successfully restarts after several attempts the administrator may choose to reset the restart counter, thus enabling the ser- vice, in the future, to have the full number of restart attempts up to the restart limit. The current value of the restart counter may be obtained by using the cmviewcl(1m) command. The third form of cmmodpkg is used to place the modular failover package(s) in maintenance mode. The package needs to be disabled before it can be placed in maintenance mode. When a package is in maintenance mode, SG will turn off monitoring of package components: subnets, services, EMS resources and filesystems. The package will not be automatically failed over or halted if any of these components fail while the package is in maintenance mode. Options cmmodpkg supports the following options: -e Enables package switching. This may cause a currently down package to be started on a running node (according to its failover policy). If the -n option is given, package switching will be enabled only for the specified node(s); otherwise, switching will be enabled globally. This will not cause the package to move if the package is currently running else- where. -d Disables package switching. This will not cause a package to be halted, but it will keep the package from being switched to a new node should the current node fail. If the -n option is given, package switching will be disabled only for the specified node(s); otherwise, switching will be disabled globally. -n node_name Act on a specific node. If multiple -n options are specified, each node_name will be enabled or disabled in the order given on the command line (not in the order specified in the package configuration file). If the -n option is not given, switching will be enabled or disabled globally for the package(s) specified. When used in conjunction with -R, this parameter specifies on which node the service restart count will be reset. -R Resets the service restart counter to zero for the service name specified by the -s option. The service restart counter is maintained by the package manager and is incremented each time the service fails. It is used to determine when a package has exceeded its restart limit as defined in the package control script. -s service_name Specifies the name of the package service whose restart counter is to be reset. -v Verbose output will be displayed. -t Test only. Provide an assessment of the package placement without affecting the current state of the nodes or packages. This option can only be used in conjunction with option -e. It validates the node's eligibility with respect to the pack- age dependencies as well as the external dependencies such as EMS resources, package subnets, and storage before predict- ing any package placement decisions. -m on [-n node_name] | off Enables/disables maintenance mode. The -m on option places a package in maintenance mode; the -m off option brings the package out of maintenance mode. Package switching for this package must be disabled before it is placed in or brought out of maintenance mode. You can place a package in maintenance mode on a node by using the -n option to specify the node. If the package is down, you must specify the node. If the package is running, you do not need to specify the node, but, if you do, node_name must match the name of the node where the package is running. While the package is in maintenance mode on a node, it can only be started on that node and if the package has weight, its weight counts toward the node's capacity even if the package is down. If you use the -m option to partially start a package which is in maintenance mode, the package must be halted completely before you bring it out of maintenance mode. Serviceguard ignores a package's failures while it is in maintenance mode. If a package in maintenance mode is running but some components have failed, the package must be halted before it can be brought out of maintenance mode. cmmodpkg command will fail if placing a package in main- tenance mode causes the node's capacity to be exceeded or placing a package in maintenance mode or taking it out of main- tenance mode causes any package to halt or restart. RETURN VALUE
cmmodpkg returns the following value: 0 Successful completion. 1 Command failed. EXAMPLES
Modify the package switching value to be disabled. If the package is up and its node or any portion of the package fails, the package will not be moved to another node: cmmodpkg -d pkg1 Modify the package switching value of multiple packages to be enabled. This command causes a currently down package to start running on the first available node: cmmodpkg -e pkg1 pkg2 pkg3 Modify a list of packages such that they will not be able to move to node1: cmmodpkg -n node1 -d pkg1 pkg2 Modify a package such that it will be able to move to node3, node2, or node1. If the package is currently down but has package switching enabled, the package will begin running on node3 because node3 is the first node specified on the command line: cmmodpkg -n node3 -n node2 -n node1 -e pkg1 Reset the restart counter for service SVC1 in package PKG1. cmmodpkg -R -s SVC1 PKG1 Place a failover modular package in maintenance mode on node1. The package is either down or running on node1: cmmodpkg -m on -n node1 pkg1 Place a failover modular package in maintenance mode on the node where it is running. cmmodpkg -m on pkg1 AUTHOR
cmmodpkg was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
cmmakepkg(1m), cmquerycl(1m), cmhaltpkg(1m), cmrunpkg(1m), cmviewcl(1m), cmeval(1m). Requires Optional Serviceguard Software cmmodpkg(1m)