Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Escape sequence
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Escape sequence Post 98385 by vino on Wednesday 8th of February 2006 12:03:06 AM
Old 02-08-2006
If you are using echo to print the address back to the user, then try

Code:
echo -E "c:\tuser\abc"

From the man pages of echo

Code:
       -e     enable interpretation of the backslash-escaped characters listed
              below

-E     disable interpretation of those sequences in STRINGs

Man pages of sh, ksh also mention the usage of echo -E to disable interpretation.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

want to view the escape sequence

Hi, Is it possible to view the escape sequence in the ascii file. That is I want to see the newlinw character,tab ........ etc Thanks Sweta (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Both HOME and INSERT key send same escape sequence on ssh

I couldn't seem to make 'HOME' key work on my remote windows ssh client to a Fedora Core3 server (the home key works perfectly when i'm physically on site.) To my surprise, using control+V it seems that both my home and insert key send the same escape sequence ^So it must be my windows SSH client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

escape sequence for $

Hi all, I have a requirement where the variable name starts with $, like $Amd=/home/student/test/ How to work wit it? can some one help me, am in gr8 confusion:confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreekrishnagd
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Escape Sequence Characters

Hi All, I have added the script command to user profile so that to record the on-screen data.But when i i checked the O/P i could see lot of escape sequence is there way to remove it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cutechaps
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with escape sequence for '$' symbol in EGREP function

$table is the variable which contains name of the file. Filename may have the special character $. Need to escape $ . Tried below options to escape dollar: \$$table "\$"$table"" what is the escape sequence for egrep function..? Below is the code snippet- my $table; foreach... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xylus77
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Grep doesn't understand escape sequence?

I ran the following grep and sed command. grep "\t" emp.txt sed -n '/\t/p' emp.txt grep treated the '\' as to escape t and took the pattern as literal t whereas sed took the pattern as tab. That means , grep doesn't understand escape sequence!!!!!! what to do to make grep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore escape sequence in sed

Friends, In the file i am having more then 100 lines like, File1 had the values like this: #Example East.server_01=EAST.SERVER_01 East.server_01=EAST.SERVER_01 West.server_01=WEST.SERVER_01 File2 had the values like this: #Example EAST.SERVER_01=http://yahoo.com... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jothi basu
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Escape Sequence for Capital Letters Input at Shell Not Working

Hello, I am running Solaris 8. When issuing the command "stty lcase" all text which is output to the terminal are capitalized. Letters that are supposed to be capitals are preceded by a backslash during output. All text which is input is converted to lower case. This is the expected behaviour... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstor
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape Sequence Overide in XML file

Hi I am try to use sed to remove decleration information from an XML file however their are special characters in the string and sed is not able to parse it . I am using the following commond. sed -e "s/xmlns=http://www.abc.com/integration/services/testtemplate1//g" Orginal.xml... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyb
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escape sequence for Function keys - terminfo

Having a doubt on how Function keys are mapped. 1. In my HPUX box my infocmp shows that kf1 (F1 key mapping) is not mapped. But somehow I am able to use an Informix form which requires navigation using F1 keys. vt100-w|vt100-w-am|dec vt100 132 cols (w/advanced video), bce, bw, ccc,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: clemansy
3 Replies
echo(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo (print) arguments SYNOPSIS
[arg] ... DESCRIPTION
writes its arguments separated by blanks and terminated by a new-line on the standard output. It also understands C-like escape conven- tions; beware of conflicts with the shell's use of write an alert character backspace print line without appending a new-line form-feed new-line carriage return tab vertical tab backslash the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2-, 3- or 4-digit octal number n, whose first character must be a zero. write an 8-bit value that is the zero-, one-, two- or three-digit octal number num is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe. Notes Berkeley differs from this implementation. The former does not implement the backslash escapes. However, the semantics of the escape can be obtained by using the option. The echo command implemented as a built-in function of follows the Berkeley semantics (see csh(1)). EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of arg as single and/or multi-byte characters. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
sh(1). BUGS
No characters are printed after the first This is not normally a problem. STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
echo(1)