Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delete files in UNIX using shell script Post 97756 by theguy16 on Thursday 2nd of February 2006 06:53:32 AM
Old 02-02-2006
Question How to delete files in UNIX using shell script

Hi,

I have the following task to perform using shell script.

The user will provide a directory name along with a date. The script will delete all the files in the specified directory that was created earlier to that date. Also it should display the number of files that has been deleted.

Please help experts! Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to delete empty files in a shell script

I'm trying to figure out a way to delete empty files in a directory. I have a cron that runs and creates a flat file every 15 mins. However, most times at night the flat file will be empty. I'd like to run a script to delete empty files that end with *.dat Any suggestions? Rich (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpnuge
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for delete old files

i want to delete all the files in my directory except the latest one. i need to do this from shell script. say i have a.txt - latest file b.txt, c.txt.. it should delete all the files except a.txt? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnarao
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files older than 2 days using shell script in Unix

I'm new to shell script.... can any one help... What is the shell script to delete the files older than 2 days ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishpabba
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete old files thru unix script

I have to delete files older than 60 days from a windows directory. So I tried to include this script FTP_LOG=${DATA_TOP}/data_tmp/logfile FTP_CMDS=${DATA_TOP}/data_tmp/cmdfile echo "open ftp1" > ${FTP_CMDS} echo "user anonymous local" >> ${FTP_CMDS} echo "cd ${SRC_DIR}" >> ${FTP_CMDS} echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snair001
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check if empty files are created and delete them and run a shell script

I have a local linux machine in which the files are dumped by a remote ubuntu server. If the process in remote server has any problem then empty files are created in local machine. Is there any way using perl script to check if the empty files are being created and delete them and then run a shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hussa1n
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell script to delete files on windows server

Hi experts, can anyone suggest me on the below: how to write a shell script to search and delete files on windows server. -script runs on unix box -it should search for specific files on windows server and delete them periodically. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chpradeepch
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to delete the protected files.

Hello, we have more than 100000 files in a directory which are write-protected regular file, these files are quite old and would like to delete them completely, Kindly let me know the command or peice of code to automate the process. The filenames are like below MPNT_... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hadoop_Master
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to check a file and delete old files

Hello, I needed help with a shell script where in it checks if a file exists under a directory and also checks the age of the file and delete it if it is older than 3 weeks. thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hasn318
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to delete files from 5 different servers

Hello, I'm new to shell scripting and need a quick note on how to write a shell script to perform deletion of files from 5 different hostnames in various locations. Found out to delete files from one path by using below command and made it to work on cron job but need to do it in a shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teja G
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to delete the ip address from files

Hello, I am new to shell scripting, need help, my requirement is to delete the ip address from serveral files, please suggest (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)