Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to copy MBR from old harddrive to new harddrive? Post 97670 by shorty on Wednesday 1st of February 2006 11:37:38 AM
Old 02-01-2006
I tried dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=512 count=2 and I it said it couldn't find /dev/hda. I looked in the /dev directory and there is no hda (or sda)?!?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Supplemental harddrive.

Am planning on adding a secodary SCSI hardrive to the existing 20gb drive., that I have. The old drive has Linux on it. Once, the new drive is added, I am planning on having windows on it. Firstly, could this be done ? Has anyone build a system with a similar configuration ? What is requried,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matvrix
1 Replies

2. Linux

Mount a harddrive in linux.

Hey people i'm very new to linux. I just put a extra 200 gig maxtor HD in my computer. Linux can tell it's there...but it says it cant mount it. How do i mount it manually? thanks, John (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RKJV
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a file to my harddrive

I'm loged on to a unix sever over the internet and i want to copy a file from there to my harddrive. How would i go about this because cp does not seem to work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zoolz
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding an additional harddrive in solaris 9

Hello, I have a system which a new harddrive was installed for additional space. I now need to mount the drive and transfer data from /home to the new drive with a mount point named /home. How do I go about doing this? Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GLJ@USC
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

booting from which harddrive

Hi, both of my /dev/hda and my /dev/hdb contain /boot partition. I'm wondering how to tell which harddrive's /boot is actually being read? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
2 Replies

6. Solaris

installing second harddrive

This is my first post i am a solaris newbie. I just purchased my first sun system. It is a sunblade 1000. It had a fcal 36gb hdd in it already so i purchased a secondary 36gb fcal harddrive to increase my harddrive space however, how do i get it to detect the second harddrive? I have tried boot -r... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crzywut
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Detecting Harddrive Errors

I am looking for some tips or suggestions in how to do the following. 1) From a Solaris server, I run the command iostat -En and receive output that is similiar to the following which shows your disks along with the cdrom/dvdrom: c0t2d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunsysadm2003
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Removable External SCSI Harddrive

Hi guys, I have a solaris 9 operating system on a sun solaris machine and one external removable scsi drive connected to it. When i type the following command this is what is displayed: #format AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c0t0d0 <DEFAULT cyl 17832 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying the content of a filesystem to different Harddrive

my server runs solaris 10 , one of the partition in my primary harddrive is 99% full , i want to move the contents of it to the second harddrive . what is the best way to move the contents to 2nd drive ? which command should i use cpio/dd/tar/ufsdump .... please guide me with the command and the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Copying the content of a filesystem to different Harddrive

my server runs solaris 10 , one of the partition in my primary harddrive is 99% full , i want to move the contents of it to the second harddrive which has higher capacity. what is the best way to move the contents to 2nd drive ? which command should i use cpio/dd/tar/ufsdump .... please guide me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
1 Replies
MKFS.MINIX(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     MKFS.MINIX(8)

NAME
mkfs.minix - make a Linux MINIX filesystem SYNOPSIS
mkfs.minix [-c|-l filename] [-n namelength] [-i inodecount] [-v] device [size-in-blocks] DESCRIPTION
mkfs.minix creates a Linux MINIX file-system on a device (usually a disk partition). The device is usually of the following form: /dev/hda[1-8] (IDE disk 1) /dev/hdb[1-8] (IDE disk 2) /dev/sda[1-8] (SCSI disk 1) /dev/sdb[1-8] (SCSI disk 2) The size-in-blocks parameter is the desired size of the file system, in blocks. It is present only for backwards compatibility. If omit- ted the size will be determined automatically. Only block counts strictly greater than 10 and strictly less than 65536 are allowed. OPTIONS
-c Check the device for bad blocks before creating the file system. If any are found, the count is printed. -n namelength Specify the maximum length of filenames. Currently, the only allowable values are 14 and 30. The default is 30. Note that kernels older than 0.99p7 only accept namelength 14. -i inodecount Specify the number of inodes for the filesystem. -l filename Read the bad blocks list from filename. The file has one bad block number per line. The count of bad blocks read is printed. -v Make a Minix version 2 filesystem. EXIT CODES
The exit code returned by mkfs.minix is one of the following: 0 No errors 8 Operational error 16 Usage or syntax error SEE ALSO
mkfs(8), fsck(8), reboot(8) AVAILABILITY
The mkfs.minix command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. Util-linux 2.6 2 July 1996 MKFS.MINIX(8)