Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to copy MBR from old harddrive to new harddrive? Post 97659 by mahendramahendr on Wednesday 1st of February 2006 10:45:20 AM
Old 02-01-2006
if it is for unix or linux :

Copy just the MBR and boot sector of a hard dirve to another hard drive image:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=512 count=2

Copy MBR only of a hard drive:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=446 count=1

otherwise you can create a file of MBR image and later you can copy back to the hard drive.

Check the hard drive names in your machine....

If it is for windows, you have lot of tool available here :

http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3...tToolsRefs.htm

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Supplemental harddrive.

Am planning on adding a secodary SCSI hardrive to the existing 20gb drive., that I have. The old drive has Linux on it. Once, the new drive is added, I am planning on having windows on it. Firstly, could this be done ? Has anyone build a system with a similar configuration ? What is requried,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matvrix
1 Replies

2. Linux

Mount a harddrive in linux.

Hey people i'm very new to linux. I just put a extra 200 gig maxtor HD in my computer. Linux can tell it's there...but it says it cant mount it. How do i mount it manually? thanks, John (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RKJV
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a file to my harddrive

I'm loged on to a unix sever over the internet and i want to copy a file from there to my harddrive. How would i go about this because cp does not seem to work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zoolz
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding an additional harddrive in solaris 9

Hello, I have a system which a new harddrive was installed for additional space. I now need to mount the drive and transfer data from /home to the new drive with a mount point named /home. How do I go about doing this? Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GLJ@USC
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

booting from which harddrive

Hi, both of my /dev/hda and my /dev/hdb contain /boot partition. I'm wondering how to tell which harddrive's /boot is actually being read? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
2 Replies

6. Solaris

installing second harddrive

This is my first post i am a solaris newbie. I just purchased my first sun system. It is a sunblade 1000. It had a fcal 36gb hdd in it already so i purchased a secondary 36gb fcal harddrive to increase my harddrive space however, how do i get it to detect the second harddrive? I have tried boot -r... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crzywut
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Detecting Harddrive Errors

I am looking for some tips or suggestions in how to do the following. 1) From a Solaris server, I run the command iostat -En and receive output that is similiar to the following which shows your disks along with the cdrom/dvdrom: c0t2d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunsysadm2003
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Removable External SCSI Harddrive

Hi guys, I have a solaris 9 operating system on a sun solaris machine and one external removable scsi drive connected to it. When i type the following command this is what is displayed: #format AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c0t0d0 <DEFAULT cyl 17832 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying the content of a filesystem to different Harddrive

my server runs solaris 10 , one of the partition in my primary harddrive is 99% full , i want to move the contents of it to the second harddrive . what is the best way to move the contents to 2nd drive ? which command should i use cpio/dd/tar/ufsdump .... please guide me with the command and the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Copying the content of a filesystem to different Harddrive

my server runs solaris 10 , one of the partition in my primary harddrive is 99% full , i want to move the contents of it to the second harddrive which has higher capacity. what is the best way to move the contents to 2nd drive ? which command should i use cpio/dd/tar/ufsdump .... please guide me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
1 Replies
FDISK(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  FDISK(8)

NAME
acorn-fdisk -- partition editor for Acorn/RISC OS machines SYNOPSIS
acorn-fdisk -h | --help | -v | --version acorn-fdisk [-t scheme | --type scheme] -l | --list [device ...] acorn-fdisk [-t scheme | --type scheme] -s | --size partition acorn-fdisk [-t scheme | --type scheme] [device] DESCRIPTION
The acorn-fdisk utility allows one to display or interactively edit partition tables for Acorn/RISC OS machines in various formats. Using the PC/BIOS format, standard IBM PC (i386) partition tables can also be accessed. When no optional device is given, it defaults to /dev/hda or /dev/sda. The options are as follows: -h | --help Display a short usage and exit immediately. -l | --list Display the partition table(s) of all devices. -s | --size Display the size of partition. -t | --type Select the partitioning scheme to use. Valid schemes are: EESOX Eesox SCSI on the Acorn machines. ICSIDEFS ICS IDE. Filecore/Linux Linux on Filecore. This uses the non-ADFS descriptor to point to the start of the disc to be partitioned. The first two sectors contain a partition table to identify the Linux partitions contained within. PC/BIOS PC/BIOS partitioning scheme. This consists of a partition table in the first sector of the disk which contains both CHS and LBA values for the partitions. There can be up to four entries in the primary partition table. One of these can be an extended partition containing up to four extra partitions. PowerTec PowerTec SCSI on the Acorn machines. Filecore/RISCiX RiscIX on Filecore. -v | --version Display the version of acorn-fdisk and exit immediately. If neither -l | --list or -s | --size are given, the partition table of the given device will be edited interactively. EXAMPLES
Display the default device's partition table on a PC: acorn-fdisk --type PC/BIOS -l Display the PC partition table of /dev/sda: acorn-fdisk --type PC/BIOS --list /dev/sda Display the size in blocks of the partition /dev/sda1: acorn-fdisk --type PC/BIOS --size /dev/sda1 Edit the MBR partition table interactively: acorn-fdisk --type PC/BIOS Display the partition table of an MBR backed up to a file: acorn-fdisk -t PC/BIOS -l mbrdump.bin Display the size of the first partition on a device where the MBR would be restored from the backup file mbrdump.bin: acorn-fdisk -t PC/BIOS -s mbrdump.bin1 AUTHORS
arm-fdisk was written by Russell King <rmk@arm.uk.linux.org> based on util-linux fdisk, which was written at least partially by A. V. Le Blanc <LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk>. This manual page was written for the Debian system by Thorsten Glaser <tg@debian.org> but may be used by others. BSD
October 2, 2010 BSD