Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing carriage returns with sed Post 96425 by stevefox on Friday 20th of January 2006 03:20:11 AM
Old 01-20-2006
Question

Thanks everyone! I have another question.

I have a text file file1 below:

Code:
$ more file1
Group#=G1
 Role=a1 Role#=[001]
 User=Adam
 User=Ben
 Role=b1 Role#=[002]
 User=Carl
Group#=G2
 Role=a1 Role#=[001]
 User=Ben
 Role=c1 Role#=[003]
 User=Carl
Group#=G3
 Role=c1 Role#=[003]
 User=Adam

...and I want to create a Korn shell that would create the desired output below (Group,Role,User) when I ran the shell using the input file1:

Code:
G1,a1,Adam
G1,a1,Ben
G1,b1,Carl
G2,a1,Ben
G2,c1,Carl
G3,c1,Adam

I first thought of making it one group per line using the awk command below :

Code:
$ awk '{ if ( $0 ~ /Group/ && NR > 1 ) { printf "\n"; } printf $0; } END { printf "\n"; }' file1

Group#=G1  Role=a1 Role#=[001]  User=Adam  User=Ben  Role=b1 Role#=[002]  User=Carl
Group#=G2  Role=a1 Role#=[001]  User=Ben  Role=c1 Role#=[003]  User=Carl
Group#=G3  Role=c1 Role#=[003]  User=Adam

I not sure what to do after thisSmilie

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by stevefox; 01-20-2006 at 04:27 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed removing carriage return and newline

Hi, I'm not very familiar with unix shell. I want to replace the combination of two carriage returns and one newline with one carriage return and one newline. I think the best way to do this is to use sed. I tried something like this: sed -e "s#\#\#g" file.txt but it doesn't work. Thanx... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mored
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces and carriage returns in 'here documents'

As the title suggests, i am having some trouble figuring out how to pass spaces and carriage returns to a 'here document' ie #!/bin/bash /usr/local/install_script.sh <<SCRIPT yes no <pass carriage retun here> yes no <pass a space and then a carriage return here> exit SCRIPT any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Carriage returns between strings in a field

Is there any way to remove carriage retuns between the records? We have input records separated by TABS and have carriage returns as below: 123 456 789 ABC "1952.00" 678 "abcdef ghik lmno" Above we... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheepi
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing thousand of carriage returns using sed

I need to replace thousands of carriage returns/line breaks in a large xml file and with spaces. I hope to do so with a script, called, for example, "removeCRs." I would invoke this at the command line as ml5003$ sed -f /Users/ml5003/removeCRs oldFile > newFile The script, I presume, would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ml5003
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Carriage returns without loosing EOL

Hello, I have read a few threads on this subject and tried a few things out, but still come up short. There was one good example, then the last reply was something to the effect of 'Use Sed' & 'Read a book'... Well I read a bunch of online tutorials on sed, awk, tr, but still can't get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Majiktom
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing carriage returns in text file

Hi I have a text file that looks like this: A B C D E F G H I I want it to be reformatted to A;B;C; D;E;F; G;H;I; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolnfunky
4 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Adding carriage returns to file using sed/awk

Hello, I need help adding carriage returns at specific intervals (say 692 characters) to a text file that's one continous string. I'm working in AIX5.3. Any quick help is appreciated. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

TR not removing carriage returns

I have a CSV with carriage returns in place of newlines. I am trying to use tr to remove them, but it isn't working. Academic year,Term,Course name,Period,Last name,Nickname 2012-2013,First Semester,English 12,4th Period,Arnold,Adam 2012-2013,First Semester,English 12,4th Period,Adams,Jim... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing carriage returns from multiple lines in multiple files of different number of columns

Hello Gurus, I have a multiple pipe separated files which have records going over multiple Lines. End of line separator is \n and records going over multiple lines have <CR> as separator. below is example from one file. 1|ABC DEF|100|10 2|PQ RS T|200|20 3| UVWXYZ|300|30 4| GHIJKL|400|40... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dJHa
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage returns from awk output

I'm on Linux version 2.6.32-696.3.1.el6.x86_64, using the Ksh shell. I'm working with the input file: John Daggett, 341 King Road, Plymouth MA Alice Ford, 22 East Broadway, Richmond VA Orville Thomas, 11345 Oak Bridge Road, Tulsa OK Terry Kalkas, 402 Lans Road, Beaver Falls PA Eric Adams,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prooney
2 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)