Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how many disks do I have?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how many disks do I have? Post 9636 by pmetal on Wednesday 31st of October 2001 11:16:32 AM
Old 10-31-2001
It is a little confusing, and I get confused trying to explain it. I believe I may have mis-spoke about the target in my earlier post. It would be easier if I could draw a diagram for ya, but...

Think of the target as a disk/tape/cdrom connected to a controller card. Here's a definition from a Solaris book I have:

Target Number - Target numbers, such as t0, t1, t2 and t3, correspond to a unique address switch setting that is selected for each disk, tape, or CD-ROM. An external disk drive has an address switch located on the rear panel. An internal disk has address pins that are jumpered to assign its target number. Usually t0 - t3 refer to disks, t4 - t5 is tape, and t6 is CD-ROM.

Whereas the Disk Number is the Logical Unit Number (LUN), which reflects the number of disks at the target location. The disk number is always set to d0 with embedded SCSI disks. Which is what we have on our systems, so I'm not sure how you get d5 on yours.

So, lets say you have 2 controllers with 3 disks on each controller, and you want to talk about the 2nd disk on the 2nd controller. That would be:

c1t1d0 (controller and target numbering starts at 0)

I hope I haven't confused you more!Smilie I'm not too good at explaining things....maybe someone else can put a different spin on it. If I think of another way to explain it, I'll let you know.

As far as /dev/dsk....you should be able to cd to that directory and do an ls command and using the naming conventions I showed you, be able to figure out how many disks are there. Remember, all instances of c0t0 is one disk, all instances of c0t1 is another disk, and so on...

Did you try the format command? That will list all drives on your system.

peace

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disks on AIX

Hello I've been working on AIX 5.3 ML3 on IBM pSeries520. That server has 6 HDD drives in 3 volume groups (1+mirror in each group). I must check which phisical disk is which disk in the system. For ex. I want to know that disk in 4th slot in the machine is marked as hdisk5 on AIX. Does anybody... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
2 Replies

2. AIX

SCSI Disks

Hi Is it possible to install in p5 and pSeries SCSI Disks from SUN on DELL? Will they work? Regards, Pit (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
0 Replies

3. Solaris

New Array of disks

I was just curious if anyone has a good tutorial or some info about how I can create and add an array of disks to solaris 8 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: BRaider
11 Replies

4. Solaris

What do you use to wipe your disks?

What are y'all using to wipe your solaris disks? I am being question by IT Security, what I am using to wipe disk. Is anyone using a 3rd party utility? I have used the format utility in solaris previously. But they are looking for something commercial that I can use. Anyone have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

5. AIX

disks broke?

hay I'm new in the AIX-environment. Right now i'm testing some stuff out. But i can't test the LVM-part which is (to me) very important. I have 2 disks in my testmachine but it seems only 1 is working wel. I'll show you the output below of the disks... hdisk0 = in good condition hdisk2 =... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvanelshocht
8 Replies

6. Solaris

disks in solaris

whats the command to find name of all disks. Is it iostat -En ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Re-using disks

I would like to know if I can move the disks from a V240 chassis into a V440 chassis to use the increased resources (CPU & Memory) to boost performance. I know you can move disks between V210/240 chassis's, but I'm not sure if this would work between 240s & 440s. Any help would be much appreciated. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chains
4 Replies

8. Solaris

host cannot see FC disks

Have a V440 server which we need to connect up to a SE6140. Did the zoning on the 3900 brocade silkworm and did mapping from the array to the host manually host initiator did not autodetect the wwn and had to key in manually. probe-scsi-all cannot show the fc disks. What is the problem here? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
7 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

FC related disks

Dear Friends, I would like know what are FC related disks and how it will be viewed by generic OSes (Unix, Unix like, Windows & etc.) AFAIK it is viewed by generic OS as SCSI. Can we have FC related disks as internal storage(physically) of general purpose machine (Server / PC /... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tlogine
1 Replies

10. Solaris

How to tell what disks are used for a zpool?

Hello, Does anyone know how I can tell what disk are being not being used by a zpool? For example in Veritas Volume manager, I can run a "vxdisk list" and disks that are marked as "online invalid" are disk that are not used. I'm looking for a similar command in ZFS which will easily show... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertinoau
5 Replies
GNOME-DISKS(1)							gnome-disk-utility						    GNOME-DISKS(1)

NAME
gnome-disks - the GNOME Disks application SYNOPSIS
gnome-disks [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
gnome-disks is the command to launch the GNOME Disks application. Disks provides a way to inspect, format, partition and configure disks and block devices. The Disks application is single-instance. What this means is that if the application is not already running when the gnome-disks command is invoked, it will get launched and the command invocation will block until the application exits. Otherwise the existing application instance will be used and the gnome-disks command will exit immediately. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --block-device DEVICE Switches to the Disks application and selects the block device given by DEVICE (for example, /dev/sda). --block-device DEVICE --format-device [--xid WINDOW-ID] Shows the "Format Volume" dialog for the block device given by DEVICE (for example, /dev/sdb1). If WINDOW-ID is given, makes the dialog transient to the given XID. --help Prints a short help text and exits. AUTHOR
Written by David Zeuthen <zeuthen@gmail.com> with a lot of help from many others. BUGS
Please send bug reports to either the distribution bug tracker or the upstream bug tracker at https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=gnome-disk-utility. SEE ALSO
gnome-disk-image-mounter(1), udisks(8) GNOME
March 2013 GNOME-DISKS(1)