Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Shell Emulator
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix Shell Emulator Post 96212 by tmarikle on Wednesday 18th of January 2006 02:01:33 PM
Old 01-18-2006
Why don't you just install the shell itself (bash, ksh, etc)?

cygwin will install a set of tools on your PC that include several shells.

If, for some reason, you don't want to install cygwin either, you can find KSH for Windows and probably bash as well. Otherwise, you'll have to crack open the books and pretend. Smilie

And by the way, posting the same message in more than one forum is against the rules.

Last edited by tmarikle; 01-18-2006 at 03:09 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix emulator for windows 98

as part of my course i have to do a lot of programming using the universities unix server. i am able to access this from home using telnet but i cannot use axe or anything to edit my files. I was wondering if anyone knew of any software that could enable me yo do this as i like working at 2am when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HALLY
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uising ed in wipro uwin unix emulator

i have no clue what I am doing with the ed editor since i have never really used it.. the only thing is the sed edittor on the unix emulator I downloaded for windows is rather simple and the man pages are very vague... it doesn't function according to most linux operating systems that envoke sed..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Emulator Or Simulator

Hi all: I have windows XP and i want to learn UNIX SHELL PROGRAMMING! can you tell me any unix shell emulator or simulator which i can install on windows and learn unix shell programming (FOR SOME REASON I DONT WANT TO INSTALL LINUX)!!! PLEASE HELP! CHEERS (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravirajindia
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Emulator

Where can I download a unix Emulator for Training and education of the IT personal in my company. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: st_matan
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Emulator for DOS Shell

would like to have ls, wc -l, etc all availble in this silly dos shell I'm stuck in thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robersh
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

which version of unix and termnail emulator

hello i have a computer sat around doing nothing so i what to install a version of Unix on it, i then want to access the computer from my pc though my home network e.g router. The thing is what version of unix should i use there are so many and being new to all of this some advice would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superdude
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Online UNIX emulator for Korn Shell scripting

Hi, I am very new to UNIX and I wanted to know if there is any online UNIX emulator in which I can practice Korn shell scripting. I have internet access, but my machine's OS is Windows XP. I just had my UNIX fundamental class and wanted to practice some shell scripting. I am not in a position to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eswasas
1 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

good Unix emulator for vista PC

Dear experts! can you please advise if there are good solutions to emulate Unix on a vista PC? I'm on windows by default, as many on my crucial applications are exclusively win-based, so rebooting each time I need UNIX functionality in a double-boot configuration is not my case.. But I do like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roussine
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Emulator Cygwin

Hi, I installed unix emulator cygwin, it does not allow me to open vi editor. Can anybody know if cygwin supports vi. if not can somebody please refer a good emulator. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siquadri
5 Replies
LEARN(1)						      General Commands Manual							  LEARN(1)

NAME
learn - computer aided instruction about UNIX SYNOPSIS
learn [ -directory ] [ subject [ lesson ] ] DESCRIPTION
Learn gives Computer Aided Instruction courses and practice in the use of UNIX, the C Shell, and the Berkeley text editors. To get started simply type learn. If you had used learn before and left your last session without completing a subject, the program will use information in $HOME/.learnrc to start you up in the same place you left off. Your first time through, learn will ask questions to find out what you want to do. Some questions may be bypassed by naming a subject, and more yet by naming a lesson. You may enter the lesson as a number that learn gave you in a previous session. If you do not know the lesson number, you may enter the lesson as a word, and learn will look for the first lesson containing it. If the lesson is `-', learn prompts for each lesson; this is useful for debugging. The subject's presently handled are files editor vi morefiles macros eqn C There are a few special commands. The command `bye' terminates a learn session and `where' tells you of your progress, with `where m' telling you more. The command `again' re-displays the text of the lesson and `again lesson' lets you review lesson. There is no way for learn to tell you the answers it expects in English, however, the command `hint' prints the last part of the lesson script used to evaluate a response, while `hint m' prints the whole lesson script. This is useful for debugging lessons and might possibly give you an idea about what it expects. The -directory option allows one to exercise a script in a nonstandard place. FILES
/usr/share/learn subtree for all dependent directories and files /usr/tmp/pl* playpen directories $HOME/.learnrc startup information SEE ALSO
csh(1), ex(1) B. W. Kernighan and M. E. Lesk, LEARN - Computer-Aided Instruction on UNIX BUGS
The main strength of learn, that it asks the student to use the real UNIX, also makes possible baffling mistakes. It is helpful, espe- cially for nonprogrammers, to have a UNIX initiate near at hand during the first sessions. Occasionally lessons are incorrect, sometimes because the local version of a command operates in a non-standard way. Occasionally a lesson script does not recognize all the different correct responses, in which case the `hint' command may be useful. Such lessons may be skipped with the `skip' command, but it takes some sophistication to recognize the situation. To find a lesson given as a word, learn does a simple fgrep(1) through the lessons. It is unclear whether this sort of subject indexing is better than none. Spawning a new shell is required for each of many user and internal functions. The `vi' lessons are provided separately from the others. To use them see your system administrator. 7th Edition October 22, 1996 LEARN(1)