Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell script to calc sum of bytes used by files Post 96178 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 18th of January 2006 09:59:35 AM
Old 01-18-2006
sum the 5th column of ls -l.

Code:
# !/usr/bin/ksh

if [ $# -eq 0 ]
then
dir="."
else
dir=$1
fi

tot=`ls -l $dir | awk -F" " 'BEGIN {sum=0} {sum+=$5} END {print sum}'`
echo "$tot bytes"

exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to convert file_size from bytes to megabytes

Hi All, OS:AIX 64 bits. Requirement is to convert file_size from bytes to megabytes through shell script as below: export DBALIST="xyz@rediffmail.com" ls -ltr abcd.txt > file_size.result export file_size=`awk -F" " '{ print $5 }' file_size.result` if ] then mailx -s "File abcd.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to copy a log file if it exceeds 5000000 bytes

Hi, on unix box, under /local/home/userid/logs folder, apps generated the following files sw_warn.log sw_error.log eaijava.log if there any application specific errors, the above file will keep growing. if the file exceed 5000000 bytes, I would like to have a shell script which do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to sum every 3 values

I am looking for an easy way to calculate the sum of three values (*-12, *-01, *-02) which are contained after a comma (,). I have found an awk command that will sum every 3rd value, but I am not interested in the values before the comma (,). awk '{s+=$1}NR%3==0{print s;t+=s;s=0}'I am only... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum up values of columns in 4 files using shell script

I am new to shell script.I have records like below in 4 different files which have about 10000 records each, all records unique and sorted based on column 2. 1 2 3 4 5 6 --------------------------- SR|1010478|000044590|1|0|0| SR|1014759|000105790|1|0|0| SR|1016609|000108901|1|0|0|... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reach.sree@gmai
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find the sum of argument passed to the script

I want to make a script which takes the number of argument, add those argument and gives output to the user, but I am not getting through... Script that i am using is below : #!/bin/bash sum=0 for i in $@ do sum=$sum+$1 echo $sum shift done I am executing the script as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to find the number of files and identify which ones are 0 bytes.

I am writing a bash script to find out all the files in a directory which are empty. I am running into multiple issues. I will really appreciate if someone can please help me. #!/bin/bash DATE=$(date +%m%d%y) TIME=$(date +%H%M) DIR="/home/statsetl/input/civil/test" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monasharma13
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X bytes of 0, Y bytes of random data, Z bytes of 5, T bytes of 1. ??

Hello guys. I really hope someone will help me with this one.. So, I have to write this script who: - creates a file home/student/vmdisk of 10 mb - formats that file to ext3 - mounts that partition to /mnt/partition - creates a file /mnt/partition/data. In this file, there will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razolo13
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - entered input(1-40 bytes) needs to be converted exactly 40 bytes

hello, suppose, entered input is of 1-40 bytes, i need it to be converted to 40 bytes exactly. example: if i have entered my name anywhere between 1-40 i want it to be stored with 40 bytes exactly. enter your name: donald duck (this is of 11 bytes) expected is as below - display 11... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shravan.300
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Shell: Count The sum of numbers in a file

Hi all; Here is my file: V1.3=4 V1.4=5 V1.1=3 V1.2=6 V1.3=6 Please, can you help me to write a script shell that counts the sum of values in my file (4+5+3+6+6) ? Thank you so much for help. Kind regards. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script count lines and sum numbers from multiple files

I want to count the number of lines, I need this result be a number, and sum the last numeric column, I had done to make this one at time, but I need to make this for a crontab, so, it has to be an script, here is my lines: It counts the number of lines: egrep -i String file_name_201611* |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Elly
5 Replies
Ns_Sock(3aolserver)					   AOLserver Library Procedures 				       Ns_Sock(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Ns_BindSock, Ns_GetSockAddr, Ns_SockAccept, Ns_SockAsyncConnect, Ns_SockAsyncConnect2, Ns_SockBind, Ns_SockCloseLater, Ns_SockConnect, Ns_SockConnect2, Ns_SockListen, Ns_SockListenEx, Ns_SockPipe, Ns_SockSetBlocking, Ns_SockSetNonBlocking, Ns_SockStrError, Ns_SockTimedCon- nect, Ns_SockTimedConnect2, ns_pipe, ns_sockpair - library procedures SYNOPSIS
#include "ns.h" Ns_BindSock(arg, arg) Ns_GetSockAddr(arg, arg) Ns_SockAccept(arg, arg) Ns_SockAsyncConnect(arg, arg) Ns_SockAsyncConnect2(arg, arg) Ns_SockBind(arg, arg) Ns_SockCloseLater(arg, arg) Ns_SockConnect(arg, arg) Ns_SockConnect2(arg, arg) Ns_SockListen(arg, arg) Ns_SockListenEx(arg, arg) Ns_SockPipe(arg, arg) Ns_SockSetBlocking(arg, arg) Ns_SockSetNonBlocking(arg, arg) Ns_SockStrError(arg, arg) Ns_SockTimedConnect(arg, arg) Ns_SockTimedConnect2(arg, arg) ns_pipe(arg, arg) ns_sockpair(arg, arg) _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
These functions ... SEE ALSO
nsd(1), info(n) KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 Ns_Sock(3aolserver)