Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users HISTSIZE environment variable problem Post 95996 by Perderabo on Monday 16th of January 2006 11:49:05 PM
Old 01-17-2006
I have deleted the duplicate thread.

HISTSIZE controls the size of the history list. HISTFILE controls where the history is stored. But they must be set when ksh first does something with the history list. Setting them later has no effect. Exporting them into the environment ensures that they will affect shells spawned later. But that won't stop the rule that each ksh process looks at them once and once during its lifetime. I don't know what "the HISTSIZE is set to 20 already" is supposed to mean. If you set that in the environment prior to invoking ksh, it should work. But most likely you are setting the variable in a startup file (thus after ksh starts to run) and you are setting too it late. Note that ksh writes functions into the history (unless nolog is on). Did you define a function prior to setting HISTSIZE?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help on environment variable

what is the environment variable used for getting the <machine name> . hello $LOGNAME,welcome to <??> I want to print the machine name in the place of <??> Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehuldoshi
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environment Variable

First of all I am using C shell. I have a variable destDirectory that holds a path. the path includes an environment variable($user) when I try to execute a command within the script, the $destDirectory gets replaced with the path, but the environment variable is not replaced. I end up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karyn1617
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in getting the path of environment variable set in bashrc in my shell script

hi all i have joined new to the group. i have set an variable in my bashrc file. .bashrc PROGHOME=/home/braf/braf/prog export PROGHOME but while using it in my shell script its path is not taken and i had to explicitly give the export command to set the path. in my script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: krithika
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

environment variable

Hi, I have to set bunch of variables and all other programs like make, perl will use them .. Here are my constraints and requirements ... The variables have to be set by executing a script that runs in c shell. I cannot source the script since people who use this script might be on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Environment variable

Hello, For the moment, my LC_ALL variable is set as "" by default. If I want to change this value, I do : export LC_ALL="en_fr" for example. That I want to know it's : how can I set by default this value ? I want to save it on my profile in order to get it when I open my session... :confused:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MasterapocA
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Debian install maintainer environment variable problem

Hi, I am using Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy heron) and I am trying to package my application using 'dpkg'. I am following 'rules' based debian packaging. I am using install script to copy certain shared object libraries into my package installation path. for eg:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with setting environment variable

shell script: #!/bin/csh set VAR=12345 echo $VAR will peacefully give the output 12345 at shell. I need to use C++ to do the same in some part of the code: string str = "12345"; retValue="set var1= "+str; system(retValue1.c_str()); system("echo $var1"); This doesn't create a system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harshvardhan360
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HISTSIZE and HISTFILESIZE

Hi Whats the exact difference between HISTSIZE and HISTFILESIZE in bash shell? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting environment variable problem in Ubuntu?

I am trying to install timbl- memory based learner tools in ubuntu. it after unpacking the tar file it brings the following msg No package 'ticcutils' found Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you installed software in a non-standard prefix. Alternatively, you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gbdaw
1 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)