Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users HISTSIZE environment variable problem Post 95892 by Kenneth2006 on Monday 16th of January 2006 03:39:07 AM
Old 01-16-2006
HISTSIZE environment variable problem

Hi All,

I am connecting to a sun solaris 5.9 unix (korn shell) server using the x terminal. There is some problem with the HISTORY File where the HISTSIZE env variable is not working. Although the HISTSIZE is set to 20 already but the HISTORY file keep increasing and exceeded the size.
There is another option where I just tail -20 $HISTFILE and put in into a temporary file before mv it to the name $HISTFILE but strangely this will actually just clear off the $HISTFILE when I run the script on the .kshrc file.
This script is working when I test it in command line.

I hope you all can help, thanks

Regards,
Kenneth

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help on environment variable

what is the environment variable used for getting the <machine name> . hello $LOGNAME,welcome to <??> I want to print the machine name in the place of <??> Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehuldoshi
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environment Variable

First of all I am using C shell. I have a variable destDirectory that holds a path. the path includes an environment variable($user) when I try to execute a command within the script, the $destDirectory gets replaced with the path, but the environment variable is not replaced. I end up... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karyn1617
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in getting the path of environment variable set in bashrc in my shell script

hi all i have joined new to the group. i have set an variable in my bashrc file. .bashrc PROGHOME=/home/braf/braf/prog export PROGHOME but while using it in my shell script its path is not taken and i had to explicitly give the export command to set the path. in my script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: krithika
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

environment variable

Hi, I have to set bunch of variables and all other programs like make, perl will use them .. Here are my constraints and requirements ... The variables have to be set by executing a script that runs in c shell. I cannot source the script since people who use this script might be on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Environment variable

Hello, For the moment, my LC_ALL variable is set as "" by default. If I want to change this value, I do : export LC_ALL="en_fr" for example. That I want to know it's : how can I set by default this value ? I want to save it on my profile in order to get it when I open my session... :confused:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MasterapocA
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Debian install maintainer environment variable problem

Hi, I am using Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy heron) and I am trying to package my application using 'dpkg'. I am following 'rules' based debian packaging. I am using install script to copy certain shared object libraries into my package installation path. for eg:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with setting environment variable

shell script: #!/bin/csh set VAR=12345 echo $VAR will peacefully give the output 12345 at shell. I need to use C++ to do the same in some part of the code: string str = "12345"; retValue="set var1= "+str; system(retValue1.c_str()); system("echo $var1"); This doesn't create a system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harshvardhan360
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HISTSIZE and HISTFILESIZE

Hi Whats the exact difference between HISTSIZE and HISTFILESIZE in bash shell? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting environment variable problem in Ubuntu?

I am trying to install timbl- memory based learner tools in ubuntu. it after unpacking the tar file it brings the following msg No package 'ticcutils' found Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you installed software in a non-standard prefix. Alternatively, you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gbdaw
1 Replies
tcp-env(1)                                                    General Commands Manual                                                   tcp-env(1)

NAME
tcp-env - set up TCP-related environment variables SYNOPSIS
tcp-env [ -rR ] [ -ttimeout ] program [ arg ... ] DESCRIPTION
The input for tcp-env must be a TCP connection. tcp-env finds out information about that connection, puts the information into several environment variables as described in tcp-environ(5), and runs program with the given arguments. Usually tcp-env is run from inetd. It might instead be run from another server that already sets up the right environment variables; if PROTO is set to TCP when tcp-env is invoked, tcp-env assumes that all the other variables are set up properly, and it does not check whether the input is a TCP connection. OPTIONS
-r (Default.) Attempt to obtain TCPREMOTEINFO from the remote host. -R Do not attempt to obtain TCPREMOTEINFO from the remote host. -ttimeout Give up on the TCPREMOTEINFO connection attempt after timeout seconds. Default: 30. SEE ALSO
tcp-environ(5), inetd(8) tcp-env(1)