Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Joining lines to single line in VI Post 95632 by Ygor on Thursday 12th of January 2006 11:00:51 PM
Old 01-13-2006
You can do the whole file using...
Code:
paste -d ' ' -s file1 > file2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need output in different lines not in one single line

I am getting the coutput like this as show below in one single line, where as the command is executed is several lines and the output should also be requied in several lines, not in one single line. Anyone any idea? p4 opened -a | grep *locked* | awk '{ printf $8 }' >/tmp/aa $ cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaha
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in reverse. append line 1 to line 2.

Hi I have used many times the various methods to append two lines together in a file. This time I want to append the 1st line to the second and repeat for the complete file.... an example This is the file owns the big brown dog joe owns the small black dog jim What I want is ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwalley
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

joining 2 lines into single one

i have a script that joins 2 lines of a file into one line and again next 2 line into one line. if number of line is 4 then after joining it should be 2 lines in a file my file a1.txt has some of the below lines 1-GH32X, CC, AMR, Number of Intervals Not Inserted: 1 / 95 1-150KP1, CC,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break lines up into single lines after each space in every line

It sounds a bit confusing but what I have is a text file like the example below (without the Line1, Line2, Line3 etc. of course) and I want to move every group of characters into a new line after each space. Example of text file; line1 .digg-widget-theme2 ul { background: rgb(0, 0, 0) none... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split single line into two line or three lines

Dear All, I want to split single line into two line or three lines wherever “|” separated values comes using Input line test,DEMTEMPUT20100404010012,,,,,,,,|0070086|0070087, output shoule be test,DEMTEMPUT20100404010012,,,,,,,,0070086, test,DEMTEMPUT20100404010012,,,,,,,,0070087, (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining contents in multiple lines to a single line

I do have a file with contents splited into multiple lines ADSLHLJASHGLJSKAGHJJGAJSLGAHLSGHSAKBV AJHALHALHGLAGLHGBJVFBJVLFDHADAH GFJAGJAGAJFGAKGAKGFAK AJHFAGAKAGAGKAKAKGKAGFGJDGDJJDGJDJDFAG ... ... .... 100's of lines I would like to rearrange the content of this file so it will be a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multi-line output to a single line in a group

Hi, My Oracle query is returing below o/p ---------------------------------------------------------- Ins trnas value a lkp1 x a lkp1 y b lkp1 a b lkp2 x b lkp2 y ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvk25
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

joining multi-line file into single lines

Hi, I have a file like mentioned below..For each specific id starting with > I want to join the sequence in multiple lines to a single line..Is there a simple way in awk or sed to do this >ENST00000558922 cdna:KNOWN TCCAGGATCCAGCCTCCCGATCACCGCGCTAGTCCTCGCCCTGCCTGGGCTTCCCCAGAG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write the lines in one single line

Hi, I need some iteration to do the following work. Sample: ANS|26-Jan-2012|26|MON|12536.1 ANS|26-Jan-2012|26|TUE|2536.1 ANS|26-Jan-2012|26|THUR|789.1 SED|26-Jan-2013|32|MON|258.1 SED|26-Jan-2013|32|TUE|369.1 SED|26-Jan-2013|32|THUR|2145.1 OUTPUT: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshaa
3 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)