Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Joining lines to single line in VI Post 95603 by blowtorch on Thursday 12th of January 2006 01:58:31 PM
Old 01-12-2006
You want to do this in vi right? Get to command mode in vi. Go to the line which should have the next line appended to it and then press shift-j (upper case j or J). This will append the next line at the end of the line that you currently are on.

eg. Your example will work as:
Code:
Line1[shift-j]     Line1 Line2[shift-j]     Line1 Line2 Line3
Line2          ->  Line3                  -> Line4                and so on... 
Line3               Line4 
Line4

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need output in different lines not in one single line

I am getting the coutput like this as show below in one single line, where as the command is executed is several lines and the output should also be requied in several lines, not in one single line. Anyone any idea? p4 opened -a | grep *locked* | awk '{ printf $8 }' >/tmp/aa $ cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaha
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining lines in reverse. append line 1 to line 2.

Hi I have used many times the various methods to append two lines together in a file. This time I want to append the 1st line to the second and repeat for the complete file.... an example This is the file owns the big brown dog joe owns the small black dog jim What I want is ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwalley
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

joining 2 lines into single one

i have a script that joins 2 lines of a file into one line and again next 2 line into one line. if number of line is 4 then after joining it should be 2 lines in a file my file a1.txt has some of the below lines 1-GH32X, CC, AMR, Number of Intervals Not Inserted: 1 / 95 1-150KP1, CC,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break lines up into single lines after each space in every line

It sounds a bit confusing but what I have is a text file like the example below (without the Line1, Line2, Line3 etc. of course) and I want to move every group of characters into a new line after each space. Example of text file; line1 .digg-widget-theme2 ul { background: rgb(0, 0, 0) none... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split single line into two line or three lines

Dear All, I want to split single line into two line or three lines wherever “|” separated values comes using Input line test,DEMTEMPUT20100404010012,,,,,,,,|0070086|0070087, output shoule be test,DEMTEMPUT20100404010012,,,,,,,,0070086, test,DEMTEMPUT20100404010012,,,,,,,,0070087, (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining contents in multiple lines to a single line

I do have a file with contents splited into multiple lines ADSLHLJASHGLJSKAGHJJGAJSLGAHLSGHSAKBV AJHALHALHGLAGLHGBJVFBJVLFDHADAH GFJAGJAGAJFGAKGAKGFAK AJHFAGAKAGAGKAKAKGKAGFGJDGDJJDGJDJDFAG ... ... .... 100's of lines I would like to rearrange the content of this file so it will be a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multi-line output to a single line in a group

Hi, My Oracle query is returing below o/p ---------------------------------------------------------- Ins trnas value a lkp1 x a lkp1 y b lkp1 a b lkp2 x b lkp2 y ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvk25
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

joining multi-line file into single lines

Hi, I have a file like mentioned below..For each specific id starting with > I want to join the sequence in multiple lines to a single line..Is there a simple way in awk or sed to do this >ENST00000558922 cdna:KNOWN TCCAGGATCCAGCCTCCCGATCACCGCGCTAGTCCTCGCCCTGCCTGGGCTTCCCCAGAG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write the lines in one single line

Hi, I need some iteration to do the following work. Sample: ANS|26-Jan-2012|26|MON|12536.1 ANS|26-Jan-2012|26|TUE|2536.1 ANS|26-Jan-2012|26|THUR|789.1 SED|26-Jan-2013|32|MON|258.1 SED|26-Jan-2013|32|TUE|369.1 SED|26-Jan-2013|32|THUR|2145.1 OUTPUT: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshaa
3 Replies
STREAM_FILTER_REGISTER(3)						 1						 STREAM_FILTER_REGISTER(3)

stream_filter_register - Register a user defined stream filter

SYNOPSIS
bool stream_filter_register (string $filtername, string $classname) DESCRIPTION
stream_filter_register(3) allows you to implement your own filter on any registered stream used with all the other filesystem functions (such as fopen(3), fread(3) etc.). PARAMETERS
o $filtername - The filter name to be registered. o $classname - To implement a filter, you need to define a class as an extension of php_user_filter with a number of member functions. When performing read/write operations on the stream to which your filter is attached, PHP will pass the data through your filter (and any other filters attached to that stream) so that the data may be modified as desired. You must implement the methods exactly as described in php_user_filter - doing otherwise will lead to undefined behaviour. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. stream_filter_register(3) will return FALSE if the $filtername is already defined. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Filter for capitalizing characters on foo-bar.txt stream The example below implements a filter named strtoupper on the foo-bar.txt stream which will capitalize all letter characters writ- ten to/read from that stream. <?php /* Define our filter class */ class strtoupper_filter extends php_user_filter { function filter($in, $out, &$consumed, $closing) { while ($bucket = stream_bucket_make_writeable($in)) { $bucket->data = strtoupper($bucket->data); $consumed += $bucket->datalen; stream_bucket_append($out, $bucket); } return PSFS_PASS_ON; } } /* Register our filter with PHP */ stream_filter_register("strtoupper", "strtoupper_filter") or die("Failed to register filter"); $fp = fopen("foo-bar.txt", "w"); /* Attach the registered filter to the stream just opened */ stream_filter_append($fp, "strtoupper"); fwrite($fp, "Line1 "); fwrite($fp, "Word - 2 "); fwrite($fp, "Easy As 123 "); fclose($fp); /* Read the contents back out */ readfile("foo-bar.txt"); ?> The above example will output: LINE1 WORD - 2 EASY AS 123 Example #2 Registering a generic filter class to match multiple filter names. <?php /* Define our filter class */ class string_filter extends php_user_filter { var $mode; function filter($in, $out, &$consumed, $closing) { while ($bucket = stream_bucket_make_writeable($in)) { if ($this->mode == 1) { $bucket->data = strtoupper($bucket->data); } elseif ($this->mode == 0) { $bucket->data = strtolower($bucket->data); } $consumed += $bucket->datalen; stream_bucket_append($out, $bucket); } return PSFS_PASS_ON; } function onCreate() { if ($this->filtername == 'str.toupper') { $this->mode = 1; } elseif ($this->filtername == 'str.tolower') { $this->mode = 0; } else { /* Some other str.* filter was asked for, report failure so that PHP will keep looking */ return false; } return true; } } /* Register our filter with PHP */ stream_filter_register("str.*", "string_filter") or die("Failed to register filter"); $fp = fopen("foo-bar.txt", "w"); /* Attach the registered filter to the stream just opened We could alternately bind to str.tolower here */ stream_filter_append($fp, "str.toupper"); fwrite($fp, "Line1 "); fwrite($fp, "Word - 2 "); fwrite($fp, "Easy As 123 "); fclose($fp); /* Read the contents back out */ readfile("foo-bar.txt"); ?> The above example will output: LINE1 WORD - 2 EASY AS 123 SEE ALSO
stream_wrapper_register(3), stream_filter_append(3), stream_filter_prepend(3). PHP Documentation Group STREAM_FILTER_REGISTER(3)