Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting file names to upper case Post 95540 by Perderabo on Thursday 12th of January 2006 06:27:29 AM
Old 01-12-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabari Nath S
ls | xargs -l1 -t -i echo {} `echo {}|awk '{print toupper($0)}'`
`echo {}|wc`

Can anyone tell me the reason why this happens ???
Neither command works for me. You must be testing in a directory with only a few two character filenames if you think the second one works. Create a few longer filenames. The shell sees `echo {} | wc`; so it runs that pipeline and it gets "{} 1 1 3" which it replaces in your command. So then you run:
ls | xargs -l1 -t -i echo {} {} 1 1 3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variables use upper case? sed : output to the same file?

Hi, Q1: are the variables in shell script usually UPPER CASE? Q2: can sed output to the same file that it's using it? eg. cat sameFile | sed 's/here/there/g' > sameFile ? I expect the sed replace all "here" to "there" and change it in sameFile. i tried that one, the sameFile... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gusla
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl - converting selected characters to upper/lower case

Using STDIN, how can I use perl to take an input string, with all lower case letters in the first five characters, and convert them to uppercase... then take all uppercase letters in the second five characters and convert them to lowercase. Example: MichaelSmith to michaELSMIth Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubleminus
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert file names to upper case using tr command in Unix

Hi All, Need to convert file names to upper case using tr command in Unix. In a folder -> /apps/dd01/misc there are two files like: pi-abcd.pdf pi-efgh.pdf The output of should be like: pi-ABCD.pdf pi-EFGH.pdf I have used the command to work for a single file at a time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting to lower case or upper case

here is a code column_name="vivek" column_name2="ViVeK" column_name=$(echo $column_name | awk '{print tolower($0)}') column_name2=$(echo $column_name2 | awk '{print tolower($0)}') echo "column name 1 lower: $column_name" echo "column name... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert specific field to upper case in file

Hi Friends, I have a file1.txt as below I want to convert the date fields in to upper case field3 and field 6 output.txt Plz help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Upper to lower case in encoded file

Hi All, I want to change the out put of a decode file from lower to upper. i used tr command but facing issue. set -vx id=$(id) dt=$(date) store=$1 if ]; then cd $APPL_TOP/local/bin cp .sqlpass.Z $$.temp.Z uncompress $$.temp.Z sed -e s/sqlpass/$$.sqlpass/ $$.temp >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
5 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)