Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting file names to upper case Post 95294 by Sabari Nath S on Tuesday 10th of January 2006 04:09:04 AM
Old 01-10-2006
Converting file names to upper case

Hi all,

I am trying to rename all my files in a directory to their upper case counterparts .... I want to do this in a single command and not through shell script ... I started off thinking it wud be simple but got stuck up in middle since tr does not work the way i thought ...

This is what i tried ...

ls | xargs -l1 -t -i mv {} `echo {} | tr '[a-z]' '[A-Z]'`

Here tr does not seem to do any work and just returns the file name as such .. So in effect i am renaming a file to that name itself ...

mv try.cc try.cc
mv: try.cc and try.cc are identical
mv typescript typescript
mv: typescript and typescript are identical

Why is this happening ?? And can anyone suggest me a solution

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variables use upper case? sed : output to the same file?

Hi, Q1: are the variables in shell script usually UPPER CASE? Q2: can sed output to the same file that it's using it? eg. cat sameFile | sed 's/here/there/g' > sameFile ? I expect the sed replace all "here" to "there" and change it in sameFile. i tried that one, the sameFile... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gusla
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl - converting selected characters to upper/lower case

Using STDIN, how can I use perl to take an input string, with all lower case letters in the first five characters, and convert them to uppercase... then take all uppercase letters in the second five characters and convert them to lowercase. Example: MichaelSmith to michaELSMIth Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubleminus
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert file names to upper case using tr command in Unix

Hi All, Need to convert file names to upper case using tr command in Unix. In a folder -> /apps/dd01/misc there are two files like: pi-abcd.pdf pi-efgh.pdf The output of should be like: pi-ABCD.pdf pi-EFGH.pdf I have used the command to work for a single file at a time... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting to lower case or upper case

here is a code column_name="vivek" column_name2="ViVeK" column_name=$(echo $column_name | awk '{print tolower($0)}') column_name2=$(echo $column_name2 | awk '{print tolower($0)}') echo "column name 1 lower: $column_name" echo "column name... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert specific field to upper case in file

Hi Friends, I have a file1.txt as below I want to convert the date fields in to upper case field3 and field 6 output.txt Plz help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Upper to lower case in encoded file

Hi All, I want to change the out put of a decode file from lower to upper. i used tr command but facing issue. set -vx id=$(id) dt=$(date) store=$1 if ]; then cd $APPL_TOP/local/bin cp .sqlpass.Z $$.temp.Z uncompress $$.temp.Z sed -e s/sqlpass/$$.sqlpass/ $$.temp >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
5 Replies
SCRIPTREPLAY(1) 						   User Commands						   SCRIPTREPLAY(1)

NAME
scriptreplay - play back typescripts, using timing information SYNOPSIS
scriptreplay [options] [-t] timingfile [typescript [divisor]] DESCRIPTION
This program replays a typescript, using timing information to ensure that output happens at the same speed as it originally appeared when the script was recorded. The replay simply displays the information again; the programs that were run when the typescript was being recorded are not run again. Since the same information is simply being displayed, scriptreplay is only guaranteed to work properly if run on the same type of terminal the typescript was recorded on. Otherwise, any escape characters in the typescript may be interpreted differently by the terminal to which scriptreplay is sending its output. The timing information is what script(1) outputs to standard error if it is run with the -t parameter. By default, the typescript to display is assumed to be named typescript, but other filenames may be specified, as the second parameter or with option -s. If the third parameter is specified, it is used as a speed-up multiplier. For example, a speed-up of 2 makes scriptreplay go twice as fast, and a speed-up of 0.1 makes it go ten times slower than the original session. OPTIONS
The first three options will overide old-style arguments. -t, --timing file File containing script timing output. -s, --typescript file File containing the script terminal output. -d, --divisor number Speed up the replay displaying this number of times. The argument is a floating point number. It's called divisor because it divides the timings by this factor. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display a help message and exit. EXAMPLE
% script --timing=file.tm script.out Script started, file is script.out % ls <etc, etc> % exit Script done, file is script.out % scriptreplay --timing file.tm --typescript script.out SEE ALSO
script(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2008 James Youngman Copyright (C) 2008 Karel Zak This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Released under the GNU General Public License version 2 or later. AUTHOR
The original scriptreplay program was written by Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net>. The program was re-written in C by James Youngman <jay@ gnu.org> and Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>. AVAILABILITY
The scriptreplay command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux September 2011 SCRIPTREPLAY(1)