Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password Recovery
Special Forums Cybersecurity Password Recovery Post 95031 by woter324 on Thursday 5th of January 2006 06:54:09 PM
Old 01-05-2006
Root password: Embedded Linux

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but this version of linux is not covered and it is a little different.

I have bought a NAS box: Freecom FSG-3. It has a linux file system that I can get to through PuTTY via SSH. The file system looks and behaves as one might expect a linux box to...

I want to play; improve things like their screwed up web pages etc. However Freecom are playing Big Brother on me and won't give me the root password. (no supprise there). I did offer to let them connect and change it to something and give the new one to me.

Anyway, from PuTTY I have done a "uname -a" to find the kernel. it returns:

Linux ANAS01 2.4.27-uc1 #1185 Fr Nov 18 11:37:24 CET 2005 armv5b unknown

ANAS01 is the hostname of the box. I took the date and time out of it and googled it. The most likely result was: http://www.uclinux.org. It appears to be an embedded version of linux.

Doing a "cd /", "ls" I get:

/ $ ls
bin etc lib root tmp var
dev home proc sbin usr zImage
/ $

I've tried "vi -R /etc/passwd" changing admin 0:0 but ":w!" doesn't write. (not supprised)

I've gone through the forum looking for help, but as i'm not at the console (as it were) I can't see the suggestions will work.

I have though about taking the drive out of the NAS and booting it like a normal drive however, forgive me for my ignorance, but i presume an embedded system referes to the OS being an a chip, therefore removing the drive would not help.

If anybody has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it. If you hadn't already guessed i'm a novice at linux so answers for dummies would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Woter

Last edited by woter324; 01-05-2006 at 09:17 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to password recovery on Ultrix

I got myself a dec 5100 running ultrix with unknow password, how do i recover or change the root password on it? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cybermike
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password recovery

We recently terminated a developer at my place of employment who created scripts on a windows server (that i do not have access to) that invoke FTP sessions on my UnixWare 7.1.1 servers. I need to know the password that is being used. Does anyone know of a good password crack? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm -r *
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help for db password recovery

hi,all my database (.db) is created by sysbase adaptive server anywhere7.0 ! the user id is DBA. but I lost the password . Could you recovery the passwrod of this db file? thanks ! iwind (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: northwind
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password Recovery

Hi, I am new to unix and I set a password for a user and now I need to recover what that password was. Is there a way, where as root, I can view what a users passwords is? Thanks, Eric (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejbrever
2 Replies

5. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

password recovery

hello, my password got lost - and your service to generate new passwords does not work -ive tried it out 50 times the last week or so, never got a single mail from it... please generate a new password for my account "congo" with mailadress. thanks. Thomas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: congo00000001
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 password recovery plz HELP!!!!!

Hello board, I'm new to Solaris Linux world, trying to learn on my onw, as I notice the windows is a big fraud.... OK let me get to my issue: I have a SOlaris 8 X86 that I don;t have a password and even the screen is disabled(assuming for the security reasons) I just see a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexOne
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Password Recovery From /etc/shadow file

Is it possible to reset a normal user password , by editing password field in /etc/shadow file? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksvaisakh
6 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

password recovery

I am trying to access an old email account but cannot recall the password and the backup email account has been closed, also. I need instructions or an expert who can assist recovering my password for web-based email account. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pp_mcgee
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script for password recovery

Hi all, I'm a complete newbie to bash scripting, although I have some experience in programming. The thing is that I have a .dmg file on my mac which I protected with a password, and now I've forgotten it. I remember the first few letters of the password and the characters that represent the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujay.jauhar
4 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Password recovery in login script help

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi guys. My case study is about creating a script that includes password recovery whenever a user forgets... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenimesh19
1 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root filesystem SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). OPTIONS
-V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), pivot_root(2), mount(8), switch_root(8), umount(8) AVAILABILITY
The pivot_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2011 PIVOT_ROOT(8)