Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux NTPD seems to be not syncing !!! Post 94775 by csaha on Tuesday 3rd of January 2006 11:55:07 PM
Old 01-04-2006
Hi Friend

Quote:
I did not find the first site on the lists. The second site is a stratum 1. I would just use the second entry. If you use multiple servers, you need at least 3. Two servers does not work very well.
which site are you talking about ? I am able so get response from all the websites/links/ip adresses given here.

See below ===

Quote:
C:\Documents and Settings\csaha>ping billthecat.sdsc.edu

Pinging billthecat.sdsc.edu [132.249.20.60] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 132.249.20.60: bytes=32 time=315ms TTL=232
Reply from 132.249.20.60: bytes=32 time=306ms TTL=232
Reply from 132.249.20.60: bytes=32 time=332ms TTL=232
Reply from 132.249.20.60: bytes=32 time=319ms TTL=232

Ping statistics for 132.249.20.60:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 306ms, Maximum = 332ms, Average = 318ms

C:\Documents and Settings\csaha>ping clock.isc.org

Pinging clock.isc.org [204.152.184.72] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 204.152.184.72: bytes=32 time=312ms TTL=42
Reply from 204.152.184.72: bytes=32 time=304ms TTL=42
Reply from 204.152.184.72: bytes=32 time=304ms TTL=42
Reply from 204.152.184.72: bytes=32 time=301ms TTL=42

Ping statistics for 204.152.184.72:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 301ms, Maximum = 312ms, Average = 305ms

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Ntpd

Hello, I'm looking for assitance on setting up network time protocol on my HP-ux boxes. I have edit the .conf file accordingly. And /etc/services. But whenever I try and start the service nothing happens at all. No error message, nothing. I have a SCO box as a time server and I wish... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satinet
0 Replies

2. AIX

ntpd version

How to check the ntpd version of AIX 5.3 ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanlkw
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the ntpd deamon script

I need to replace the line daemon ntpd $OPTIONS in the following script with daemon ntpd $OPTIONS 2>&1 > /var/log/ntpd.log & what will happen? The idea of replacing is to capture the output on the console into ntpd.log file. Will this work? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naive1977
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

ntpd -gq not working

as advised and documented, i'm trying to use the ntpd -gq instead of ntpdate. The result is that clock not set. as below. However ntpdate is working ok and had set the clock correctly this is the ntp.conf file: # cat /etc/ntp.conf logfile /var/log/ntp.log driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.zuhd
6 Replies

5. Debian

Ntpd slow start

on every boot, ntpd takes long time to start (after moving from dhcp to static ip). is there a way to speed it up? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orange47
1 Replies
ntpdate(8)						      System Manager's Manual							ntpdate(8)

NAME
ntpdate - set the date and time via NTP (Network Time Protocol) SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/ntpdate [-bdqsuv] [-a key#] [-e authdelay] [-k keyfile] [-o version] [-p samples] [-t timeout] server1 server2 server3... OPTIONS
Tells ntpdate to step the system time immediately to match NTP. Use this option only when booting the system. Prints configuration and debugging information. Queries the server(s) and prints the information received; the date and time are not set. Tells ntpdate to log its actions through the syslog(3) facility rather than to the standard output. This is useful when running the program from cron(8). Tells ntpdate to use an unprivileged port to send the packets from. This is useful when you are behind a firewall that blocks incoming traffic to privileged ports, and you want to synchronise with hosts beyond the firewall. Note that the -d option always uses unprivileged ports. Runs in verbose mode. Specifies that all packets should be authenticated using the key number provided. Specifies an authentication processing delay, in seconds (see xntpd(8) for details). This number is usually small enough to be negligible for ntpdate's purposes, though specify- ing a value may improve timekeeping on very slow CPU's. Specifies that authentication keys will be read from keyfile instead of the default /etc/ntp.keys file. This file should be in the format described in xntpd(8). Forces ntpdate to poll as a version implementation. By default ntpdate claims to be an NTP version 3 implementation in its outgoing packets. Some older software will decline to respond to version 3 queries. Acquires a specified number of samples from each server. The range of values for samples is from 1 and 8, inclusive. The default is 4. Waits timeout seconds for a response. Any value entered will be rounded to a multiple of 0.2 seconds. The default is 1 second, a value suitable for polling across a LAN. DESCRIPTION
The ntpdate command sets the local date and time by polling the Network Time Protocol server(s) on the host(s) given as arguments to deter- mine the correct time. It must be run as root on the local host. A number of samples are obtained from each of the servers specified and the standard NTP clock filter and selection algorithms are applied to select the best of these. The ntpdate command is run from /sbin/init.d/settime to set the time of day at boot time, if NTP is configured. (See ntpsetup(8) for information on configuring NTP.) Note that ntpdate's reliability and precision will improve dramatically with greater numbers of servers. While a single server may be used, better performance and integrity will be obtained by providing at least three or four servers, if not more. Time adjustments are made by ntpdate in one of the following ways: If ntpdate determines your clock is off by more than 0.5 seconds, it steps the time by calling settimeofday(2). If the error is less than 0.5 seconds, however, it will by default slew the clock's time by a call to adjtime(2) with the offset. The latter technique is less disruptive and more accurate when the offset is small, and works quite well when ntpdate is run by cron every hour or two. The adjustment made in the latter case is actually 50% larger than the measured offset since this will tend to keep a badly drifting clock more accurate (at some expense to stability, though this tradeoff is usually advantageous). Ntpdate will decline to set the date if an NTP server daemon (for example, xntpd(8)) is running on the same host. When running ntpdate on a regular basis from cron(8) as an alternative to running a daemon, doing so once every hour or two will result in precise enough timekeep- ing to avoid stepping the clock. Note Because of significant changes in NTP version 3, you should check all scripts that use the ntpdate command for correct usage and output. ERRORS
A common problem is polling a server using the wrong query version number or wrong authentication key. If either occurs, ntpdate prints the following error message: 18 Apr 10:20:28 ntpdate(1192]: no server suitable for synchronization found At boot time, if NTP is not configured, the ntpdate prints the following message: WARNING: ntpdate cannot succeed, please check your NTP configuration EXAMPLES
The following command line sets the date and time after polling server host1.dec.com as a version 2 implementation: /usr/sbin/ntpdate -o 2 host1.dec.com The following command line sets the date and time after polling server host2.dec.com. All packets are authenticated using authentication key 1. /usr/sbin/ntpdate -a 1 host2.dec.com FILES
Specifies the command path Contains the encryption keys used by ntpdate SEE ALSO
Commands: ntpq(8), xntpd(8), xntpdc(8) Files: ntp.conf(4) ntpdate(8)