Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: attachment using sendmail
Operating Systems Solaris attachment using sendmail Post 94668 by coffeysm on Tuesday 3rd of January 2006 01:38:12 AM
Old 01-03-2006
You can use mailx (which uses the Sendmail executable) command:

mailx -s "Subject Line" user@somewhere < /name/of/text_file

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using Sendmail (& attachment)

Hi, This is my first thread. Iam trying the following: OS: Sun Database: DB2, Informix, Oracle * Get the status of the database (using database command line options) * pipe to a text file * send mail of the text file to receiptents. TODO1: First step i tried to send a test message.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenkanya
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sendmail attachment problem

Hello, i am sending email with following command. The problem is the attachment is displayed as inline text instead of a file attached to email. What should i do? I don't have chance to install new binaries to the server (SunOS) ( \ echo From: Sender ; \ echo Subject: Testing ; \... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yakari
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sendmail attachment issue

Hi All,, After long time, might be this is nth time post on this forum for the same query...but i tried browsing for sometime and i did not get what i wanted :) i have following syntax in my shell scripting.. (cat filename.txt uuencode attachment attachment)|/usr/lib/sendmail -t... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail with attachment command line ?

hi.. Could somebody guide me how to send mail with attachment using sendmail command in unix ? Thank you, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bh_hensem
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sendmail with attachment not working

dear all I have below function which send an email, but if I need to add an attachement it won't work instead it write some jibberish to body of the email begin 644 SIGN_OFF_AP_20120626.csv M4TE'3E]/1D9?4TA%150L351-7T1!5$4L0D]/2RQ35$%455,L5D%25%E012Q# %3U5.5`H` ` end function... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send attachment through sendmail

Hi, I am trying to send log file of a job run in unix machince through sendmail.Though I am able to send the text but it is not sending as attachment. Could you please look into the code and let me know where I have gone wrong fdate=`date %Y%j`... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending attachment using sendmail command

Send_Mail() { C_Date=`date +"%m/%d/%Y"` #Subject="MMDB Load Job Status" for i in `cat $Metafile` do if then email_address=`echo $i | cut -d":" -f2` /usr/lib/sendmail "$email_address" < $Email_File fi done } this is the send mail command i am using .please let me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alok K Yadav
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail with attachment

Hello people, I only have sendmail and uuencode on a Oracle (RH) linux server. While: /usr/bin/uuencode awr.html awr.html | /usr/sbin/sendmail myemail@company.com Is working fine, the ideal for me is to do something like: echo "To: me@company.com" > /home/vasilis/msg.txt echo "Subject: DB... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with attachment in sendmail

Hi Folks I have below code, which is able to successfully send the content of the output file as html which is body, but i did tried uuencode & mailx -a for sending attachments but to no avail. cat - ${Output_File} <<EOF| /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t #From: ${MAILFROM} To: ${MAILTO} Subject:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
5 Replies
aliases(5)							File Formats Manual							aliases(5)

NAME
aliases - aliases file for sendmail SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The command (which is the same as see sendmail(1M)) builds the sendmail alias database from a text file. The default text file is Local addresses (local user names) are looked up in the alias database and expanded as necessary, unless the user name is preceded by a backslash When the aliases file contains multiple entries for a given alias, only the last entry is used. Except when the processing option (the send to me option) is set in the command or in the configuration file, the sender is not included in any alias expansions. For example, if sends a message to and the expansion of includes the message is not delivered to Each line of the alias text file must be of the form: Mailing lists can be continued onto multiple lines. Each continuation line must begin with white space. Lines beginning with # are com- ments. A mailing-list is a comma-separated list of one or more of the following: user-name Local user names occurring in alias expansions will themselves be looked up in the alias database unless they are preceded by backslash remote-address The remote address syntax understood by is configured in the configuration file, and typically includes the RFC-822-style and the UUCP-style filename This must be an absolute path name. appends a message to the file only if the directory in which it resides is readable and searchable by all, and only if the file already exists, is not executable, and is writable by all. pipes the message as standard input to the specified command. If command-line contains blanks, it must be enclosed in quotation marks (). For example, reads filename for a list of recipient addresses and forwards the message to each. For example, an alias such as: would read for the list of addresses making up the group. If a file named exists in a user's home directory and is owned by the user, redirects mail for that user to the list of addresses in the file. An address in a or file can be anything that can appear as a mailing-list in the alias text file. can run programs or write to files using file. This is controlled by the file. If the owner of the file lacks a valid shell as listed in file, the execution of such programs will be disallowed. The user can still execute such programs by placing the special string in the file. The alias database is examined before a recipient's file is examined. After aliasing has been done, local and valid recipients who have a file in their home directory will have messages forwarded to the list of users defined in that file. Aliasing occurs only on local names. Loops can not occur, since no message will be sent to any person more than once. Aliases defined in will NOT be expanded in headers from (see mailx(1)), but WILL be visible over networks and in headers from (see mail(1)). is only the raw data file. The actual aliasing information is placed into a binary format in the file using (see newaliases(1M)). A command should be executed each time the file is changed in order for the change to take effect. Note that the NIS alias maps are gener- ated by using which leaves and in the directory. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley, and originally appeared in 4.0BSD. FILES
User's mail forwarding file raw data file for alias names database of alias names SEE ALSO
mail(1), mailx(1), makemap(1M), newaliases(1M), sendmail(1M). aliases(5)