Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux NTPD seems to be not syncing !!! Post 94642 by csaha on Monday 2nd of January 2006 11:01:18 PM
Old 01-03-2006
Hi Perderabo

Thanks a lot for the reply. I have few clarifications required and information to be given here ....

Quote:

First, I would manually adjust the clock to be closer. You're 900 seconds off assuming your 15 minutes is accurate. ntp maxes out at about 1000 seconds. Next, any errors in the logs? And check your ntp config: use a good server and use a drift file.
What exactly is the meaning that "ntp maxes out at about 1000 seconds" ?

There is no errors in the logs ... actually the logfile is not updated after NOV 2005. Thats really amazing.

Can you pls suggest a good server? My server is located in US California.

How to use a drift file? Whats the use of that?

Thanks a lot in advance
Chirantan

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Ntpd

Hello, I'm looking for assitance on setting up network time protocol on my HP-ux boxes. I have edit the .conf file accordingly. And /etc/services. But whenever I try and start the service nothing happens at all. No error message, nothing. I have a SCO box as a time server and I wish... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satinet
0 Replies

2. AIX

ntpd version

How to check the ntpd version of AIX 5.3 ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanlkw
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the ntpd deamon script

I need to replace the line daemon ntpd $OPTIONS in the following script with daemon ntpd $OPTIONS 2>&1 > /var/log/ntpd.log & what will happen? The idea of replacing is to capture the output on the console into ntpd.log file. Will this work? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naive1977
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

ntpd -gq not working

as advised and documented, i'm trying to use the ntpd -gq instead of ntpdate. The result is that clock not set. as below. However ntpdate is working ok and had set the clock correctly this is the ntp.conf file: # cat /etc/ntp.conf logfile /var/log/ntp.log driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.zuhd
6 Replies

5. Debian

Ntpd slow start

on every boot, ntpd takes long time to start (after moving from dhcp to static ip). is there a way to speed it up? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orange47
1 Replies
ntp-wait(1)							   User Commands						       ntp-wait(1)

NAME
ntp-wait - Wait for ntpd to stabilize the system clock SYNOPSIS
ntp-wait [-flags] [-flag [value]] [--option-name[[=| ]value]] All arguments must be options. DESCRIPTION
ntp-wait will send at most num-tries queries to ntpd(8), sleeping for secs-between-tries after each status return that says ntpd(8) has not yet produced a synchronized and stable system clock. ntp-wait will do this quietly, unless the -v flag is provided. This can be useful at boot time, to delay the boot sequence until after ntpd -g has set the time. OPTIONS
-n number, --tries=number Number of times to check ntpd. This option takes an integer number as its argument. The default number for this option is: 100 The maximum number of times we will check ntpd to see if it has been able to synchronize and stabilize the system clock. -s secs-between-tries, --sleep=secs-between-tries How long to sleep between tries. This option takes an integer number as its argument. The default secs-between-tries for this option is: 6 We will sleep for secs-between-tries after each query of ntpd that returns "the time is not yet stable". -v, --verbose Be verbose. By default, ntp-wait is silent. With this option, ntp-wait will provide status information. -?, --help Display usage information and exit. -!, --more-help Pass the extended usage information through a pager. -v [{v|c|n --version [{v|c|n}]}] Output version of program and exit. The default mode is `v', a simple version. The `c' mode will print copyright information and `n' will print the full copyright notice. EXIT STATUS
One of the following exit values will be returned: 0 (EXIT_SUCCESS) Successful program execution. 1 (EXIT_FAILURE) The operation failed or the command syntax was not valid. 70 (EX_SOFTWARE) libopts had an internal operational error. Please report it to autogen-users@lists.sourceforge.net. Thank you. AUTHORS
Harlan Stenn NOTES
This document corresponds to version 4.2.8p13 of NTP. This manual page was AutoGen-erated from the ntp-wait option definitions. ntp (4.2.8p13) 20 Feb 2019 ntp-wait(1)