Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux NTPD seems to be not syncing !!! Post 94642 by csaha on Monday 2nd of January 2006 11:01:18 PM
Old 01-03-2006
Hi Perderabo

Thanks a lot for the reply. I have few clarifications required and information to be given here ....

Quote:

First, I would manually adjust the clock to be closer. You're 900 seconds off assuming your 15 minutes is accurate. ntp maxes out at about 1000 seconds. Next, any errors in the logs? And check your ntp config: use a good server and use a drift file.
What exactly is the meaning that "ntp maxes out at about 1000 seconds" ?

There is no errors in the logs ... actually the logfile is not updated after NOV 2005. Thats really amazing.

Can you pls suggest a good server? My server is located in US California.

How to use a drift file? Whats the use of that?

Thanks a lot in advance
Chirantan

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Ntpd

Hello, I'm looking for assitance on setting up network time protocol on my HP-ux boxes. I have edit the .conf file accordingly. And /etc/services. But whenever I try and start the service nothing happens at all. No error message, nothing. I have a SCO box as a time server and I wish... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satinet
0 Replies

2. AIX

ntpd version

How to check the ntpd version of AIX 5.3 ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanlkw
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the ntpd deamon script

I need to replace the line daemon ntpd $OPTIONS in the following script with daemon ntpd $OPTIONS 2>&1 > /var/log/ntpd.log & what will happen? The idea of replacing is to capture the output on the console into ntpd.log file. Will this work? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naive1977
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

ntpd -gq not working

as advised and documented, i'm trying to use the ntpd -gq instead of ntpdate. The result is that clock not set. as below. However ntpdate is working ok and had set the clock correctly this is the ntp.conf file: # cat /etc/ntp.conf logfile /var/log/ntp.log driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.zuhd
6 Replies

5. Debian

Ntpd slow start

on every boot, ntpd takes long time to start (after moving from dhcp to static ip). is there a way to speed it up? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orange47
1 Replies
timedsetup(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     timedsetup(8)

NAME
timedsetup - Performs initial setup of the time server daemon (timed). SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/timedsetup DESCRIPTION
The timedsetup command is an interactive script that can be used to perform initial time service configuration for your system. By default, timed does not start at boot time. The timedsetup script asks if you want the timed daemon to be started at boot time, and prompts you for any options to pass to the timed daemon whenever it is invoked. The script then starts the timed daemon. For more information on the timed options, see the timed(8) reference page. Note The timed daemon is provided for compatibility. Tru64 UNIX also provides support for the Network Time Protocol (NTP) through the xntpd daemon. Compaq recommends you use NTP for time synchronization. If your system is configured to run NTP, the timedsetup command passes the -E and -M options to the timed daemon by default. If you plan to run both the timed daemon and NTP, you should configure NTP first. RESTRICTIONS
In configurations with two or more hosts each connected to the same two or more subnetworks, only one of the host can run the timed with the -M option. FILES
Specifies the command pathname The timed startup and shutdown script Specifies timed parameters pertinent to a specific system SEE ALSO
Commands: timed(8), xntpd(8) timedsetup(8)