Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux NTPD seems to be not syncing !!! Post 94592 by csaha on Monday 2nd of January 2006 01:59:49 AM
Old 01-02-2006
NTPD seems to be not syncing !!!

Hi Linux Admin Guys

My onsite server is always 15 min slow and seems like NTPD (Network Time Protocol (NTP) daemon) not running properly. can anyone suggest me how to rectify this problem? we can't seem to get NTP to properly sync the clock.

Any help is resolving the issue will be helpful. Thanks in advance to all

Thanks
Chirantan

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Ntpd

Hello, I'm looking for assitance on setting up network time protocol on my HP-ux boxes. I have edit the .conf file accordingly. And /etc/services. But whenever I try and start the service nothing happens at all. No error message, nothing. I have a SCO box as a time server and I wish... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satinet
0 Replies

2. AIX

ntpd version

How to check the ntpd version of AIX 5.3 ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanlkw
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the ntpd deamon script

I need to replace the line daemon ntpd $OPTIONS in the following script with daemon ntpd $OPTIONS 2>&1 > /var/log/ntpd.log & what will happen? The idea of replacing is to capture the output on the console into ntpd.log file. Will this work? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naive1977
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

ntpd -gq not working

as advised and documented, i'm trying to use the ntpd -gq instead of ntpdate. The result is that clock not set. as below. However ntpdate is working ok and had set the clock correctly this is the ntp.conf file: # cat /etc/ntp.conf logfile /var/log/ntp.log driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.zuhd
6 Replies

5. Debian

Ntpd slow start

on every boot, ntpd takes long time to start (after moving from dhcp to static ip). is there a way to speed it up? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orange47
1 Replies
NTPTRACE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       NTPTRACE(1)

NAME
ntptrace - trace a chain of NTP servers back to the primary source SYNOPSIS
ntptrace [ -m max_hops ] [ -n ] DESCRIPTION
ntptrace determines where a given Network Time Protocol (NTP) server gets its time from, and follows the chain of NTP servers back to their master time source. If given no arguments, it starts with localhost. Here is an example of the output from ntptrace: % ntptrace localhost: stratum 4, offset 0.0019529, synch distance 0.144135 server2ozo.com: stratum 2, offset 0.0124263, synch distance 0.115784 usndh.edu: stratum 1, offset 0.0019298, synch distance 0.011993, refid 'WWVB' On each line, the fields are (left to right): the host name, the host stratum, the time offset between that host and the local host (as measured by ntptrace; this is why it is not always zero for "localhost"), the host synchronization distance, and (only for stratum-1 servers) the reference clock ID. All times are given in seconds. Note that the stratum is the server hop count to the primary source, while the synchronization distance is the estimated error relative to the primary source. These terms are precisely defined in RFC-1305. OPTIONS
-m max_hops Sets the number of server hops to follow (default = 99). -n Turns off the printing of host names; instead, host IP addresses are given. This may be useful if a nameserver is down. BUGS
This program makes no attempt to improve accuracy by doing multiple samples. Network Time Protocol December 4, 2011 NTPTRACE(1)