Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux NTPD seems to be not syncing !!! Post 94592 by csaha on Monday 2nd of January 2006 01:59:49 AM
Old 01-02-2006
NTPD seems to be not syncing !!!

Hi Linux Admin Guys

My onsite server is always 15 min slow and seems like NTPD (Network Time Protocol (NTP) daemon) not running properly. can anyone suggest me how to rectify this problem? we can't seem to get NTP to properly sync the clock.

Any help is resolving the issue will be helpful. Thanks in advance to all

Thanks
Chirantan

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Ntpd

Hello, I'm looking for assitance on setting up network time protocol on my HP-ux boxes. I have edit the .conf file accordingly. And /etc/services. But whenever I try and start the service nothing happens at all. No error message, nothing. I have a SCO box as a time server and I wish... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satinet
0 Replies

2. AIX

ntpd version

How to check the ntpd version of AIX 5.3 ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanlkw
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the ntpd deamon script

I need to replace the line daemon ntpd $OPTIONS in the following script with daemon ntpd $OPTIONS 2>&1 > /var/log/ntpd.log & what will happen? The idea of replacing is to capture the output on the console into ntpd.log file. Will this work? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naive1977
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

ntpd -gq not working

as advised and documented, i'm trying to use the ntpd -gq instead of ntpdate. The result is that clock not set. as below. However ntpdate is working ok and had set the clock correctly this is the ntp.conf file: # cat /etc/ntp.conf logfile /var/log/ntp.log driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.zuhd
6 Replies

5. Debian

Ntpd slow start

on every boot, ntpd takes long time to start (after moving from dhcp to static ip). is there a way to speed it up? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orange47
1 Replies
NTPD(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   NTPD(8)

NAME
ntpd - "Network Time Protocol daemon" SYNOPSIS
ntpd [-dnSsv] [-f file] DESCRIPTION
The ntpd daemon synchronizes the local clock to one or more remote NTP servers or local timedelta sensors. ntpd can also act as an NTP server itself, redistributing the local time. It implements the Simple Network Time Protocol version 4, as described in RFC 2030, and the Network Time Protocol version 3, as described in RFC 1305. ntpd uses the adjtime(2) system call to correct the local system time without causing time jumps. Adjustments larger than 128ms are logged using syslog(3) with LOG_INFO priority. The threshold value is chosen to avoid having local clock drift thrash the log files. Should ntpd be started with the -d option, all calls to adjtime(2) will be logged. When ntpd starts up, it reads settings from a configuration file, typically ntpd.conf(5). The options are as follows: -d Do not daemonize. If this option is specified, ntpd will run in the foreground and log to stderr. -f file Use file as the configuration file, instead of the default /etc/openntpd/ntpd.conf. -n Configtest mode. Only check the configuration file for validity. -S Do not set the time immediately at startup. This is the default. -s Set the time immediately at startup if the local clock is off by more than 180 seconds. Allows for a large time correction, elimi- nating the need to run rdate(8) before starting . -v This option allows ntpd to send DEBUG priority messages to syslog. When ntpd receives a SIGINFO signal, it will write its peer and sensor status to syslog. FILES
/etc/openntpd/ntpd.conf default ntpd configuration file /var/lib/openntpd/ntpd.drift drift file, written by ntpd periodically and used at startup to get the initial clock drift SEE ALSO
date(1), adjfreq(2), adjtime(2), ntpd.conf(5), rdate(8), timed(8) , Network Time Protocol (Version 3), March 1992. , Simple Network Time Protocol (SNTP) Version 4, October 1996. HISTORY
The ntpd program first appeared in OpenBSD 3.6 . $Mdocdate: November 10 2007 $ NTPD(8)