Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin ? Post 94045 by saneeshjose on Tuesday 27th of December 2005 03:25:31 AM
Old 12-27-2005
Question Difference between /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin ?

Hi All,

Can somebody tell me the difference between /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin ?

Thanx in advance,
Saneesh Joseph

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory when doing crontab

I just set up an ftp server with Red Hat 5.2. I am doing the work, I'm baby stepping, but it seems like every step I get stuck. Currently, I'm trying to set up a crontab job, but I'm getting the following message: /bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory. I see that vi exists in /bin/vi,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwalter
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias /usr/bin to /bin in profile

Hi! All the basic linux commands, ie. echo, find, etc, are located in /bin. I have a couple of programs that have these commands pointed towards /usr/bin, ie, /usr/bin/echo (even though the actual 'echo' command is in /bin). How can I alias or redirect or link the /usr/bin to /bin just for this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dancerat
6 Replies

4. Red Hat

/usr/bin/find && -exec /bin/rm never work as expected

hi there, Would you able to advise that why the syntax or statement below couldn't work as expected ? /usr/bin/find /backup -name "*tar*" -mtime +2 -exec /bin/rm -f {} \; 1> /dev/null 2>&1 In fact, I was initially located it as in crontab job, but it doesn't work at all. So, I was... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rauphelhunter
9 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

6. Solaris

What is the difference between xpg4/bin and usr/bin?

Hi Experts, I found that the same commands(sort, du, df, find, grep etc.) exists in both dir. What is the difference to use them? i.e: to use xpg4/bin/grep and usr/bin/grep My OS version is SunOS 5.10 Regards, Saps (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saps19
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If cmd in in "A/user/bin A/bin A/user/sbin" but not "B/user/bin B/bin B/user/sbin" directory print t

there are two directories A and B if cmd in in "A/user/bin A/bin A/user/sbin" but not "B/user/bin B/bin B/user/sbin" directory print them (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

8. Solaris

How to link sed from /usr/bin/sed to /usr/local/bin/sed?

Hi Guys, OS:- Solaris 10 64Bit I have a small query. On one server a user is facing sed command issue. He gets error regarding sed for this location /users/hoy/2999/batch5/bin/internal.sh: /usr/local/bin/sed: not found How ever the sed is actually present at this location on server:-... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
13 Replies

9. Programming

Find Argv[i] in /bin and /sbin

Hello all, I am currently working on a package manager in C and am at the point where I am trying to check to see if the package is already installed. To do this I am taking the package name(s) as an argument using argv. The working code for doing this as follows: #include <stdio.h> #include... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: realpath_issue
5 Replies
whereis(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					       whereis(1B)

NAME
whereis - locate the binary, source, and manual page files for a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/whereis [-bmsu] [-BMS directory... -f] filename... DESCRIPTION
The whereis utility locates source/binary and manuals sections for specified files. The supplied names are first stripped of leading path- name components and any (single) trailing extension of the form .ext, for example, .c. Prefixes of s. resulting from use of source code control are also dealt with. whereis then attempts to locate the desired program in a list of standard places: etc /sbin /usr/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/ccs/lib /usr/lang /usr/lbin /usr/lib /usr/sbin /usr/ucb /usr/ucblib /usr/ucbinclude /usr/games /usr/local /usr/local/bin /usr/new /usr/old /usr/hosts /usr/include /usr/etc OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b Searches only for binaries. -B Changes or otherwise limits the places where whereis searches for binaries. -f Terminates the last directory list and signals the start of file names, and must be used when any of the -B, -M, or -S options are used. -m Searches only for manual sections. -M Changes or otherwise limits the places where whereis searches for manual sections. -s Searches only for sources. -S Changes or otherwise limit the places where whereis searches for sources. -u Searches for unusual entries. A file is said to be unusual if it does not have one entry of each requested type. Thus `whereis -m -u *' asks for those files in the current directory which have no documentation. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Finding files Find all files in /usr/bin which are not documented in /usr/share/man/man1 with source in /usr/src/cmd: example% cd /usr/ucb example% whereis -u -M /usr/share/man/man1 -S /usr/src/cmd -f * FILES
o /usr/src/* o /usr/{doc,man}/* o /etc, /usr/{lib,bin,ucb,old,new,local} ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chdir(2), attributes(5) BUGS
Since whereis uses chdir(2) to run faster, pathnames given with the -M, -S, or -B must be full; that is, they must begin with a `/'. SunOS 5.11 10 Jan 2000 whereis(1B)