Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: set environment variable?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users set environment variable? Post 93731 by xnightcrawl on Wednesday 21st of December 2005 04:23:30 PM
Old 12-21-2005
no problem amigo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How does the PATH and MANPATH environment variable get set?

Hi, How does the PATH and MANPATH environment variable get set? I want to add "/opt/SUNWspro/bin" to the search path for all the users. Where can I access this variable. I know in my home directory, depend on which shell I use, there are files such as .profile and .cshrc which I can edit to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to set the environment variable at run time

hi, I have one environment variable like path in my system.But in my program i need to change that path .suppose it has a value "config" now i need to chage it as "config1" or something else.i need to use that variable for complete project.It means at first it will use the old path but after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sada@123
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to set the oracle environment????

Hi, I am trying to set the environment for my oracle database. I have 5 database in an unix box. My idea is to create 5 files for each database with the following script on it. After logging into the unix box ...just by typing the database name....the enviornment for the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: castlerock
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in getting the path of environment variable set in bashrc in my shell script

hi all i have joined new to the group. i have set an variable in my bashrc file. .bashrc PROGHOME=/home/braf/braf/prog export PROGHOME but while using it in my shell script its path is not taken and i had to explicitly give the export command to set the path. in my script... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: krithika
8 Replies

5. Linux

How do i set environment variable

Hi, I am quite new to Linux. And I have doubt how to set new environment variable with value to a C executable. Let say I have a environment variable $Hack ; I would like to load a value for this variable; so that when the C executable is executed, the $Hack would set the variable value. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
4 Replies

6. Solaris

set environment variable?

I am working with solaris 9 sunBlade150 Box. I Installed a program, need to set the environment variable so that when the executable is entered,it finds the path to the executable. The documentation for the software says: Set the appropriate environment variable: Connect to server failed;... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ORACLE_HOME environment variable not set!

hi, i am new to perl: os : Linux i wrote simple perl script to select from table i am getting this error and how to set ORACLE_HOME environment variable : script: #!usr/bin/perl use DBI; use Mail::Sendmail; #use Date::Calc; use MIME::QuotedPrint; use HTML::Entities; use POSIX... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.gr
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set environment

Hi, I can run shell script from the command line using $ . set If the run the script inside perl script using $var = system("set"); print $var; This prints 0. This command sets up the environment from command line. But when used inside the shell script or perl script it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set Environment variable from another file

Hi, i have the following env variable. currently i am exporting variable in the same script file. but i need this is in a text file and the scripts need to export this variable from the text file. can you please suggest me. is it possible. export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
6 Replies

10. Solaris

How to search for the sessions that have a certain environment variable set?

Hi all, In Solaris 10, is there a way to search for the sessions that have a certain environment variable set? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
8 Replies
pthread_scope_options(5)					File Formats Manual					  pthread_scope_options(5)

NAME
pthread_scope_options - list of external options to specify the scheduling contention scope of threads DESCRIPTION
From HP-UX release 11i version 2 and forward, HP-UX supports the "MxN" thread model. With MxN model, application has the flexibility of selecting the type of thread (determined by the contention scope specified) in the application. Based on the contention scope, there are two types of threads, threads and threads. can be used to initialize the attribute object. Subsequently, can be used to set the scope explicitly. If is not used, the default con- tention scope is considered. The default contention scope will be Some external options are provided to control the contention scope without modifying the application source. This is useful for the appli- cation developer to check the performance of the application with multiple thread models before deciding on the thread model appropriate for a particular application. The external scope options can be specified in three different ways: 1. At compile time. 2. In Properties file. 3. Environment variables. 1. Compile Time Options The options provided at compile time are: Forces the system scope irrespective of scope specified in the attribute for thread creation. Forces the process scope irrespective of scope specified in the attribute for thread creation. If contention scope is set by that scope is considered while creating a thread. Otherwise, is considered. The compile time option can be specified with or by defining the same before including in application source files. If none of the above mentioned options is specified, system scope threads will be created unless specifies otherwise. compile option is similar to and is provided for backward compatibility. However, if any of the above mentioned new compile options are used, will not have any effect. 2. Properties File Options Users are given the flexibility to use a properties file to specify various tunables for the library, to help in optimizing their applica- tions without making any source code changes. The default path name of the properties file is Note that this file will have to be explic- itly created by the user. If the application wants the pthread library to read the tunables from the properties file, the environment variable has to be set to 1, on, or ON. The user, through the environment variable can specify a different location for the properties file. In the properties file, lines beginning with are comments. For non-comment lines, the first and second words are extracted. The first word is expected to be the name of one of the tunables, and the second word is expected to be the value of that variable. The properties file supports following tunables to control the scope of threads externally: Forces the system scope irrespective of scope specified in the attribute for thread creation. Forces the process scope irrespective of scope specified in the attribute for thread creation. If contention scope is set by that scope is considered while creating a thread. Otherwise, is considered. If contention scope is set by that scope is considered while creating a thread. Otherwise, is considered. The properties file options and supported on HP-UX 11i v2 will be provided for backward compatibility. However, if any of the above men- tioned new properties file options are used, and will not have any effect. 3. Environmental Variables There are a set of environment variables which when set can override the scope of the threads specified in the application. These environ- ment variables should be set before starting the application to run. The environmental variables supported for controlling the scope are: Forces the system scope irrespective of scope specified in the attribute for thread creation. Forces the process scope irrespective of scope specified in the attribute for thread creation. If contention scope is set by that scope is considered while creating a thread. Otherwise, is considered. If contention scope is set by that scope is considered while creating a thread. Otherwise, is considered. environment variable that was supported on HP-UX 11i v2 will continue to be supported and will have the same effect as However, if any of the above mentioned new environment variables are set, will not have any effect. Precedence if multiple options are specified: o Environmental variable settings take higher precedence over properties file settings which in turn take higher precedence over compile time options. o If more than one setting is done in one of the ways specified above, force option will take higher precedence over default option and the scope set by System scope takes more precedence than process scope. The contention scope set by takes precedence over external scope setting for default scope process and default scope system. EXAMPLES 1. The following settings are done in properties file: and should be done for the properties file to be read by the pthread library. If is not set, will be used. With these settings, will take the precedence, and system scope will be forced for all thread creations. 2. If the following options are defined at compile time with or defined in one of the application header files: and will take higher precedence, and system scope threads will be forced even when is used to specify the process scope. 3. If the following environmental variables are set (say, using sh-posix): will take higher precedence, and system scope is forced for all the threads created in the process. 4. If the following environmental variables are set (say, using sh-posix): will take higher precedence, and process scope is forced for all the threads created in the process. SEE ALSO
pthread(3T), pthread_attr_init(3T), pthread_attr_setscope(3T). pthread_scope_options(5)