Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating User Accounts from a list in file Post 93669 by Laila Saif on Wednesday 21st of December 2005 08:07:01 AM
Old 12-21-2005
Hi there,,

Thanx alot for your quick reply..

I'm using Fedora Core 1
using the useradd and passwd commands in shell scripting..

regarding the second question,,,
it works perfectly,, thanx alot,, would i have to change the syntax
if i'm using in a while loop

i need to say

while [ ${#var} < 6 ]
do
echo it must be more than 6 charc.
echo please reEnter
read var
done

but it seems it doesn't work that way,, there's something wrong i don't know what it is,,

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Creating mail accounts online.?

Hi all. Can anybody help me about this topic. I am working on the project which lets people create an mail account an sign in to send or recieve mail( shortly like yahoo hotmail). At the moment , records of People who registers to my mail service, is saved to database.after, I am creating... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vbs
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[LINUX] Creating new user accounts

I've had Linux when I was young, on one of our first computers and learned it pretty quickly... However, I've been working on Windows for about 7 years now and just made the switch back to Linux, Mandrake 9.1. So I have some problem with creating new user accounts. I could create one, but once I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arendo
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

creating user accounts in AIX

Hello all: I am new to UNIX and I am given the responsibility of administering a UNIX machine recently. The system is a IBM AIX 3.1. As a part of my duties I recently created some user accounts using "smit". It looked as if everything went well. But, after creating the account, I logged into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdepa
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Accounts

I have found a script to create user accounts. But there are a few lines i dont understand. Can someone help me with this? Here's the code: ###################################### while ; do ACCT=${USER_ACCT}${START} START=`expr $START + 1` START=`echo ${START} | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sensor
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with user accounts

I have a root access to a UNIX system. I want to create another account with administrative permissions (create users, delete them, manage print and system configuration), how do I do that? I have a Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9) installed. Please help. :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating user accounts

Hey everyone I am new to the forums and to Unix. I am currently taking a class on Unix, our teacher posed the question to us How do u create a user account without using GUI or command? We are currently running Knoppix version of Unix and for the life of me I can't figure out how this is possible.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Redditt90kg
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating user accounts

Hi, I have written a program using shell scripting. When you run the file it will asks you to enter the user name, if the user exists it says " user exists " if not it will displays like " user doesnt exist" and then asks you like " do you want to add user with options Yes or No " if you say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwaprasad
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies
POSIX_GETPWNAM(3)							 1							 POSIX_GETPWNAM(3)

posix_getpwnam - Return info about a user by username

SYNOPSIS
array posix_getpwnam (string $username) DESCRIPTION
Returns an array of information about the given user. PARAMETERS
o $username - An alphanumeric username. RETURN VALUES
On success an array with the following elements is returned, else FALSE is returned: The user information array +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Element | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | name | | | | | | | The name element contains the username of the | | | user. This is a short, usually less than 16 char- | | | acter "handle" of the user, not the real, full | | | name. This should be the same as the $username | | | parameter used when calling the function, and | | | hence redundant. | | | | |passwd | | | | | | | The passwd element contains the user's password | | | in an encrypted format. Often, for example on a | | | system employing "shadow" passwords, an asterisk | | | is returned instead. | | | | | uid | | | | | | | User ID of the user in numeric form. | | | | | gid | | | | | | | The group ID of the user. Use the function | | | posix_getgrgid(3) to resolve the group name and a | | | list of its members. | | | | | gecos | | | | | | | GECOS is an obsolete term that refers to the | | | finger information field on a Honeywell batch | | | processing system. The field, however, lives on, | | | and its contents have been formalized by POSIX. | | | The field contains a comma separated list con- | | | taining the user's full name, office phone, | | | office number, and home phone number. On most | | | systems, only the user's full name is available. | | | | | dir | | | | | | | This element contains the absolute path to the | | | home directory of the user. | | | | | shell | | | | | | | The shell element contains the absolute path to | | | the executable of the user's default shell. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example use of posix_getpwnam(3) <?php $userinfo = posix_getpwnam("tom"); print_r($userinfo); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Array ( [name] => tom [passwd] => x [uid] => 10000 [gid] => 42 [gecos] => "tom,,," [dir] => "/home/tom" [shell] => "/bin/bash" ) SEE ALSO
posix_getpwuid(3), POSIX man page GETPWNAM(3). PHP Documentation Group POSIX_GETPWNAM(3)