Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating User Accounts from a list in file Post 93664 by Laila Saif on Wednesday 21st of December 2005 07:24:05 AM
Old 12-21-2005
Creating User Accounts from a list in file

I have a file that contains a list of names.

I need a loop that creates user accounts to all the names in the list
where username = names in file
password = username

Another question: how can i validate that a particular var is of 6 characters length
I need an if statement that will validate a particular string
if it's less than 6 it will ask the user to reEnter, if it's fine,, it'll procceed..

Please i have to submit it the project today,,
would anyone help me out Smilie

Best Regards,
Laila Saif

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Creating mail accounts online.?

Hi all. Can anybody help me about this topic. I am working on the project which lets people create an mail account an sign in to send or recieve mail( shortly like yahoo hotmail). At the moment , records of People who registers to my mail service, is saved to database.after, I am creating... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vbs
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[LINUX] Creating new user accounts

I've had Linux when I was young, on one of our first computers and learned it pretty quickly... However, I've been working on Windows for about 7 years now and just made the switch back to Linux, Mandrake 9.1. So I have some problem with creating new user accounts. I could create one, but once I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arendo
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

creating user accounts in AIX

Hello all: I am new to UNIX and I am given the responsibility of administering a UNIX machine recently. The system is a IBM AIX 3.1. As a part of my duties I recently created some user accounts using "smit". It looked as if everything went well. But, after creating the account, I logged into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdepa
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Accounts

I have found a script to create user accounts. But there are a few lines i dont understand. Can someone help me with this? Here's the code: ###################################### while ; do ACCT=${USER_ACCT}${START} START=`expr $START + 1` START=`echo ${START} | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sensor
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with user accounts

I have a root access to a UNIX system. I want to create another account with administrative permissions (create users, delete them, manage print and system configuration), how do I do that? I have a Solaris 9 (SunOS 5.9) installed. Please help. :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating user accounts

Hey everyone I am new to the forums and to Unix. I am currently taking a class on Unix, our teacher posed the question to us How do u create a user account without using GUI or command? We are currently running Knoppix version of Unix and for the life of me I can't figure out how this is possible.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Redditt90kg
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating user accounts

Hi, I have written a program using shell scripting. When you run the file it will asks you to enter the user name, if the user exists it says " user exists " if not it will displays like " user doesnt exist" and then asks you like " do you want to add user with options Yes or No " if you say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwaprasad
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies
lppasswd(1)							    Apple Inc.							       lppasswd(1)

NAME
lppasswd - add, change, or delete digest passwords. SYNOPSIS
lppasswd [ username ] lppasswd -a [ -g groupname ] username lppasswd -x username DESCRIPTION
lppasswd adds, changes, or deletes passwords in the CUPS digest password file, passwd.md5. When run by a normal user, lppasswd will prompt for the old and new passwords. When run by the super-user, lppasswd can add new accounts (-a username), change existing accounts (user- name), or delete accounts (-x username) in the digest password file. Digest usernames do not have to match local UNIX usernames. OPTIONS
lppasswd supports the following options: -g groupname Specifies a group other than the default system group. SECURITY ISSUES
By default, the lppasswd program is not installed to allow ordinary users to change their passwords. To enable this, the lppasswd command must be made setuid to root with the command: chmod u+s lppasswd While every attempt has been made to make lppasswd secure against exploits that could grant super-user privileges to unprivileged users, paranoid system administrators may wish to use Basic authentication with accounts managed by PAM instead. SEE ALSO
lp(1), lpr(1), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 22 February 2008 CUPS lppasswd(1)