Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers changing default file permissions Post 93222 by FredSmith on Friday 16th of December 2005 01:23:16 PM
Old 12-16-2005
changing default file permissions

How can I change the default permissions that are assigned when I create a file? (By default the file has: -rw-r--r-- ..... I'd like it to be -rw-r-----

How can I change this default behavior?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing file permissions

Use the following to Change permission of fileB (fileB could be fileB*) to change its permission same as the permission of fileA. chmod `ls -l fileA | awk '{pr int "u+", substr($1,2,1), substr($1,3,1), substr($1,4,1), ",g+", substr($1,5,1), substr($1,6,1), substr($1,7,1), ",o+",... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagansharma
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing file permissions on upload

Hello ! When I connect to a RH FTP server, the files I transfer (from my "windows computer") to this server have the following permissions : -rw------- but I would like those files to have the following permissions : - rw-rw-r-x How can I do that ??? :) Thanks for your help ! G. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: guix
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing default permissions -without "umask"-...

Hi! My question is this: Is it possible to change the default permissions in UNIX (666 for files and 777 for directories)?. I am not talking about using the command "umask". I mean, with the command "umask" you can modify permissions from a default permissions x. Is it possible to make... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chicoGuapo
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing file permissions

Is there a way to change a unix user's default file permissions so that when he creates a file, by default permissions are 777??? Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing permissions on a 444 file (ie chmod 444)

if I have a file set to permisions 444 (r-- r-- r--) should anyone other than the owner and root be able to change these permissions or delete the file. Apologies if this is a no-brainer but I cant test it myself and someone in our organisation is playin around with files they shouldnt be (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajcannon
1 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

changing /cn@0:console file permissions

I'm doing a security sweep of a Sun Sol 5.8 system. The file: /dev/console, which links to /devices/pseudo/cn@0:console, has the following perms: crw--w--w- I would like to get rid of the world write permissions. I can change the file permissions, but as soon as log back in, they are changed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ErnieG
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP changing file permissions

does anyone know how to write a script that will change file permissions. because the Admin blocked me from altering any of my files im only allowed to read and i heard a script like this can bypass it but i dont know how to write it. Display current users. Display user Ids only. Display... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: live2learn
10 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

changing permissions of a file whos name was passed to 755

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a shell script that gives a passed file the "755" access permissions. The shell script should: Change... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anix007
0 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

changing permissions of a file whos name was passed to 755

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a shell script that gives a passed file the "755" access permissions. The shell script should: Change... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anix007
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing file permissions of a file created by another user

Hi, I have used expdp for datapump. The .dmp file is created by the "oracle" user. my requirement is to make a zipped file of this .dmp file. What i am trying to do is change the permissions of this .dmp file from 0640 to 0644 and then do a gzip and zip it. Is there any way i can change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
3 Replies
rcvstore(1mh)															     rcvstore(1mh)

Name
       rcvstore - incorporate new mail asynchronously

Syntax
       rcvstore [ +folder ] [ -[no]create ] [ -help ] [ -sequence name ] [ -[no]public ] [ -[no]zero ]

Description
       The  command  incorporates  a  message from the standard input into an MH folder.  If a +folder argument is not given the file is placed in
       your folder.  The new message being incorporated is assigned the next highest number in the folder.

If the specified (or default) folder does not exist, it is created if the -create option is specified; otherwise exits.

If your file contains a Msg-Protect: entry, it is used as the protection on the newly created messages; otherwise the MH default of 0600 is
       used.  During all operations on messages, this initially assigned protection is preserved for each message.  You can use to change the pro-
       tection on an individual message, and the new protection is preserved thereafter.

The command incorporates anything except zero length messages into your MH folder.

If the profile entry Unseen-Sequence: is present and non-empty, then adds the newly incorporated message to each sequence named by the pro-
       file entry.  Note that does not zero each sequence prior to adding messages.

Options
       -create
       -nocreate Creates  the  specified  folder.  If you attempt to incorporate mail into a folder that does not exist, creates the folder if you
		 supply the -create option.  If you supply the -nocreate option, the folder is not created and exits.  The default is -create.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-public
       -nopublic Sets the read permissions of sequences.  Normally, when you create a sequence with the -sequence  option,  the  sequence  is  not
		 accessible  to  other	MH  users.  The -public option makes the sequence accessible to other MH users.  You can use the -nopublic
		 option to ensure that the sequence that you create is only accessible to yourself.

-sequence name
		 Specifies a sequence in which places the messages which it incorporates.  For more information on sequences, see The name of  the
		 sequence must begin with a letter, and must consist entirely of alphabetic or numeric characters; no punctuation is allowed.

-zero
       -nozero	 Specifies whether to zero existing sequences before adding new messages.  Normally, removes all existing messages from a sequence
		 before adding messages to it.	If you specify the -nozero option, adds the messages it finds to  the  existing  contents  of  the
		 sequence.  This option only works with the -sequence option.

The defaults for this command are:

+folder defaults to
	      -create
	      -nopublic if the folder is read-only, otherwise -public
	      -nozero

Profile Components
       Path:		  To determine your Mail directory
       Folder-Protect:	  To set protections when creating a new folder
       Msg-Protect:	  To set protections when creating a new message
       Unseen-Sequence:   To name sequences denoting unseen messages

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       chmod(1), inc(1mh), mark(1mh), pick(1mh), mh-mail(5mh), mh_profile(5mh)

rcvstore(1mh)